Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ever lose interest in performance cars...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ha, know what you mean-- been building and modifying cars longer then most here--since the early eighties. Built a lot of stuff-- I would have kept your 68 charger though. Just got rid of the last of my past after 23yrs-- a 1969 Datsun 2000--. Got married and kids now they are older--13 and 16 and things have eased up a bit. I can say for a time your right, I was right were you are-- got a few dollars but not time..Wife, family , house kids all come first for a lot of years-. Go do what you want--take some time off from the car scene--figure out what it is your looking for and go get it-- Kids stuff aside--your not what you drive, contrary to popular belief. if your a true car guy, you'll get back in to it later on--if not, you can tell your kid you did. Enough said. Go have a drink and think about it.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I really think it depends on personality.
Do I use my car to the full potential? No. Nor do I mod as much as I used to. But even in spirited driving and commuting, I like the car. I always think about doing an autocross once or so a year, but have not done so in a long, long time.

That said, I would never neuter myself and buy a normal car or a truck. I want the precision, the placement, the reflexes, the acceleration, the braking. I would cry in a automatic Camry or a Silverado.

Driving bland/normal cars designed for the masses has no appeal to me whatsoever.

The beauty of the Evo is that you still get five star crash safety, four door usability, and the sure-footedness of all wheel drive.

Keep the sucker.

nicely put
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
and it make's that cool phsss sound
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:27 PM

like stated earlyer , performance cars are in my DNA , i was always into domestics ,mainly fords , i owned 2 mustangs .

still love em , however i was looking for a economical hotrod , was looking at the srt caliber , cause ford doesnt have the rs focus in north america , someone at work told me to try an subaru ...

i tryed it ...loved it , started researching it and seen the "arch-rivalry" was the evo-lancer , i then proceded to test drive it , and immediatly liked it as well , even the looks over the STI ,
and ive never looked back .
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:02 AM

Yes, your priorities change but i'll never get tired of my evo or performance cars.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by twistyking
...and sell your ride?

I've had some type of fun ride in over 30 years of driving. Muscle cars, sports cars, import coupes and sedans. Got my Evo X in Dec. 08 after selling off 2 cars a 68 Charger and 02 S2k. I wanted an Evo since the 03's came out and got the X after a test drive and the 0%. The intention was to track and mod the X and have a nice safe DD ride for my wife and 2 young kids. The Evo X is the perfect vehicle for that dual purpose.

Well after having the Evo for almost 2 yrs and I've yet to track the car. Fun runs to the mountains get put to the side. Modding that once seemed mandatory now seems kinda frivolous. The time and money that would be spent on the car, just seems to go to other interests...family interests. Not that there's anything wrong with that, its just shifting priorities that I'm fine with. The 95% use of driving is spent in traffic and the 5% of fun driving is starting to disappear. I can afford the X, that's not the issue-its just starting to feel like overkill. But thats the whole reason for an Evo!!

Any car that I've thought I couldn't live without and sold, I've never had sellers remorse. Seems like I go through this every couple months with this this car and start window shopping cheaper rides...older beater sedans, Hyundais, Outbacks etc...WTF!! Then I figure I'll kick myself if I let the Evo go. Doh!!
I think it's called growing up...sadly. I'm in my mid 30's, wife and two young kids, and on my 2nd Evo and god knows how many performance cars starting with a '66 Barracuda in high school. I've had the X for 6 months and really haven't even considered modding it. That money is better spent on family...landscaping the backyard, family vacation, etc. Just 5 years ago it was a completely different story. I had mods waiting for my VIII before I ever took delivery of the car!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I really think it depends on personality.
Do I use my car to the full potential? No. Nor do I mod as much as I used to. But even in spirited driving and commuting, I like the car. I always think about doing an autocross once or so a year, but have not done so in a long, long time.

That said, I would never neuter myself and buy a normal car or a truck. I want the precision, the placement, the reflexes, the acceleration, the braking. I would cry in a automatic Camry or a Silverado.

Driving bland/normal cars designed for the masses has no appeal to me whatsoever.

The beauty of the Evo is that you still get five star crash safety, four door usability, and the sure-footedness of all wheel drive.

Keep the sucker.
Nailed it right on the head
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

My other car is a AWD Toyota Sienna. The Toyota is great. Comfy, safe, quiet, hauls junk, long road trips. But I drive it for a day and I can't WAIT to get back in my MR. Sometimes its the only thing that brings a smile to my face at then end of a sucky day.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

I may get tired of owning my Evo X someday, but I'll never get tired of driving it. I'll most likely be driving some sort of a performance car with a stick until I die.

I'd rather put a cigarette out in my eye than drive some boring sedan or SUV.