Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hood Damage...what to do?

Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Damage...what to do?

I was parked in a lot and came out to this! Must have been a truck that backed into me. I have a clear bra so there wasn't any paint damage. I went to local collision shop and they quoted me around 600-700$ As you can see the dent isn't that big (maybe that doesn't matter.) I was thinking maybe a CF hood, but have heard some negative things about them. If anyone has had a similar situation and/or have any ideas/opinons I'd appreciate it.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Hood Damage...what to do?-photo.jpg  
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't believe they would quote you for $600-700, perhaps search elsewhere for a better quote or see if anyone on this forum are selling their hoods
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

I think they saw you having an Evo and figured "meh, he'll pay it, he's got the change for it"

That's way more than I paid on my lincoln when the hood got a very similar dent. The quicker it gets popped out the better it looks, but metal does "stretch" so maybe they are talking about like, repainting the hood or something in addition. Even that though, a hood paint job only cost me like 200 last time, so my vote is check another body shop, get a better quote...but someone trustworthy. I've gotten whole cars body work done for less than 2k before...and that included paint, so it seems too steep for me.

fyi, sucks someone would do that and not leave a note...
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:42 PM

Have you tried contacting a painless dent removal shop? They can prob pull the dent out but it will still be scratched up. Nothing a good buff can't take out.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PDR doesn't work nearly as well on aluminum as it does on steel body panels. There is a crease in the corner that looks like PDR wouldn't be able to smooth out. $600-700 seems high but you will have to factor in that any shop repairing and repainting the hood will also have to apply new 3M as well so it does add up.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Dang that sucks. What negative things have u heard about CF hoods? The only down side that I can think of is it yellowing over time. It would look amazing on black too.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:14 PM

What a dick move. Looks like a truck backed into it.

How much is a new hood from Mitsu?

This is a tough decision because it's just a tiny dent, but it cost so much to repair..and even than it wouldn't be right (deep down you know the hood is imperfect).

Did you buy the car brand new? What kind of insurance/deductible do you have?

If money isn't an object, I'd buy a new hood and get it painted.

Otherwise, I'd look at another shop.

Good luck, bud. And I am sorry this happened. I remembered when somebody backed into my front bumper and scratched it and cracked the clear!
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, with that dent i would try to pop it out from behind. I had something simular on my passenger door, i took off the panel from behind and popped it out (while applying some heat) and it looks back to new. Unless you stare at it for about 30 seconds.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:08 AM

hmm didnt know that about steel and aluminum. That makes sense I guess but it seems like you could try to pop it out, wouldnt be perfect, but much better than 700 bucks.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by vr4_rider
What a dick move. Looks like a truck backed into it.

How much is a new hood from Mitsu?

This is a tough decision because it's just a tiny dent, but it cost so much to repair..and even than it wouldn't be right (deep down you know the hood is imperfect).

Did you buy the car brand new? What kind of insurance/deductible do you have?

If money isn't an object, I'd buy a new hood and get it painted.

Otherwise, I'd look at another shop.

Good luck, bud. And I am sorry this happened. I remembered when somebody backed into my front bumper and scratched it and cracked the clear!
Brand new car. 500$ deductible. The 6-700 included the paint. I just don't want my insurance to go up for 3-5 years (that's what I heard)

I looked up a new hood and it was around 7-800 (not including shipping)
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:03 AM

This is what I would do.

I'd go get a can of the dust air sprayer in the can. It blows out really cold. Spray the area with maybe 1/2 can, and then I'd take a heat gun or a hair blower that blows a lot of heat into the cold area. Apply pressure from the back of the dent.

Try that...it'd cost you a can of the air spray, which can't be more than 5 bucks.

Report back
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

$500-$700 bucks to fix it!?!? Daaaamn! I'd rather get a brand new CF Hood for that price.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have a PDR spot (about the size of a baseball) on my hood from the previous owner. Looks like ****. That's aluminum I guess. The hood is expensive, something like $700+. I'd either go insurance or go PDR and keep an eye out for a used hood.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

I got my cf ts hood for under 500 shipped. Not sure who your ins company is but mine doesn't go up if im not at fault. Ask n file a claim n get a nice aftermarket
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Just found this...

http://www.caraccidentattorneys.com/...surance-up.htm

Double check n get your 200. I had a 1700 dlr claim w no increase

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood Damage...what to do?