Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Schroth Rallye 3 harness mod (possible?)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Schroth Rallye 3 harness mod (possible?)

I would like to solve two problems at once. The first problem is having the car beep at me to put on my seatbelt when I'm wearing the harness for autocrossing. (This is actually easily solved, but I'd like something more elegant that running the stock seatbeat behind the seat to clip into the buckle or jamming a spare key in the buckle or shorting out the buckle's detector.) The second problem is that I'd like to be able to move the harness completely out-of-view for the other 355 days of the year. That's the difficult one, since, if your harness is installed the regular way - i.e., bolted at each hip - then it can't be removed from the holes in the seat-back.

Here's the crazy idea: switch the right-side lap belt from being bolted to the seat-rail to ending in a Mitsubishi-sized tongue. This way, it will use the stock buckle, which solves the beeping issue, and it will be completely loose when not buckled, so it could be removed from the seat-back holes without any unbolting.

Assuming I can switch the right-side lap belt to ending in a Mitsu-sized tongue, does any see a down-side to this? And if you see no down-sides, does anyone know where I can get Schroth 2" webbing in blue and a Mitsu-sized tongue to create the new end for the driver's side lap-belt?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They make those for the WRX/STI and BMW cars...sadly not ours.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Did you beg?

I'm not be facetious. I'm going to ask Derek (the tech with Schroth in MA) to make me a "replacement belt" with a lap-belt tongue from the main buckle, instead of ending in an eye. Since the tongue for the lap buckle from a Rallye 3 (or Rallye 4) works with the Mitsu OE buckle - I've checked; it's perfect - all I need to do then is replace the driver's right lap belt. You have to crack the extender's plastic cover to replace the second half of the belt, but they sell replacement covers for $12 a pair.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

He would not do it.

He will make me a belt that ends in a tongue if and only if I send him a Mitsu tongue so he knows it fits perfectly.

This makes sense.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get your self a seatbelt at a junkyard and cut the strap off it all you need to do is to insert just the buckle into yours - no chimes

I had a toyota seatbelt lying around, I did have to grind the buckle a little bit to replicate the Mitsu one but it works without any problems. I keep it in the center console for easy storage, when I get to an Autox I simply insert it and use my harness.

Last edited by N.G.S.; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N.G.S.
Get your self a seatbelt at a junkyard and cut the strap off it all you need to do is to insert just the buckle into yours - no chimes

I had a toyota seatbelt lying around, I did have to grind the buckle a little bit to replicate the Mitsu one but it works without any problems. I keep it in the center console for easy storage, when I get to an Autox I simply insert it and use my harness.
1st - Old thread
2nd - Reading is fundamental

...but I'd like something more elegant that running the stock seatbeat behind the seat to clip into the buckle or jamming a spare key in the buckle or shorting out the buckle's detector...
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help officer -

1. - I didn't catch the thread expiration date -

2. - Being that R.I.F. - I see a difference between this -

"..but I'd like something more elegant that running the stock seatbeat behind the seat to clip into the buckle or jamming a spare key in the buckle or shorting out the buckle's detector... "

and what I suggested -

A standalone buckle with no belt attached to it, snapped into the seatbelt. The OP posted that Schroth wouldn't convert his harness to snap into the seatbelt - my suggestion is a clean and efficient solution to this problem. This allows for full use of the passenger side seatbelt in case there is an instructor riding shotgun - Much better than a key or a paper clip. -

Last edited by N.G.S.; Jun 19, 2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
He would not do it.

He will make me a belt that ends in a tongue if and only if I send him a Mitsu tongue so he knows it fits perfectly.

This makes sense.
I have a couple of extra Mitsu tongues, if you need one.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

A spare buckle is called a key as well. Spare key = spare buckle

And since reading is still fundamental, one can deduce that he is not look for that as an option either, but I can understand with your reading comprehension skills being so low.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
I have a couple of extra Mitsu tongues, if you need one.
PM sent.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
A spare buckle is called a key as well. Spare key = spare buckle

And since reading is still fundamental, one can deduce that he is not look for that as an option either, but I can understand with your reading comprehension skills being so low.
Got it.
I subscribe to R.I.F. as well as W.I.F.

Thanks.

Last edited by N.G.S.; Jun 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Wow. The range of helpfulness levels is quite wide around here. In the last 24 hours, both N.G.S. and John have really come through for me. Thanks, again; this time in public.

I think I'll leave it at that.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks!

I have the Schroth Rallye 3 as well, I keep it out of the way when I am not racing by draping it over the back of the seat and buckling it up. I don't have a pic of the harness that way but I'm sure you get the idea.

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Wow. The range of helpfulness levels is quite wide around here. In the last 24 hours, both N.G.S. and John have really come through for me. Thanks, again; this time in public.

I think I'll leave it at that.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

That's what I have been doing, but wanted to be able to unthread it from the seat-back because I often have two kids in the back. Not only do they like to tug on the middle-top tongue, but I was a little concerned about having a piece of metal flopping around right in front of their faces. They're cute kids and I'd like to keep it that way.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

I have teenagers - they have learned

How about something like a neoprene cover?

Quick Reply: Schroth Rallye 3 harness mod (possible?)