Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

TPMS system does work

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS system does work

So the Evo X is the first car I've owned with a tire pressure monitoring system. I've heard horror stories online about how these things are useless, so when my TPMS sensor went off last morning I didn't think anything of it. I drove to work fine and halfway on my drive it turned off by itself.

I decided to check out the tire pressure on my way home from work (TPMS sensor still off), and turns out all four tires were reading 26 PSI instead of 32 PSI.

So it turns out, the TPMS sensor actually was useful here.

Just thought I'd share as I've heard a lot of TPMS horror stories and not a lot of "this thing actually could be useful" anecdotes.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I don't see why it would be useless.... Mine came on when it had never come on before and i checked and had a large nail in my tire. Sounds pretty useful to me... In fact it had read that the pressure was low before it was too low to get it to a gas station to repair, so double + there.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those things are such a pain in the butthole...my fiancees car tpms used to go on/off all the time just because of the weather.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by escodotcarter
those things are such a pain in the butthole...my fiancees car tpms used to go on/off all the time just because of the weather.
Fill your tires with nitrogen you won't have that issue.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:42 PM

Hi,
The best time to check your air, is in the morning. it should be 32psi COLD.
when you drive the tire get hot and psi increases.
Its crazy when you have like 15psi in the tire. the tire wont be stable. It starts to build up a lot of heat and just self destruct.

the TPMS should give you a warning when its a certain % low from 32psi.
That's why you got the warning in the morning, then the light went off as you drove. so your air was actually lower than 26psi.

My advice to you is. DO NOT USE FIX A FLAT. It has a high chance of ruining your sensors. even if it does said TIRE SENSOR SAFE. the sensor has a small hole in it so it can read the pressure. Fix a flat will clog up that whole.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Badhazard
Hi,
The best time to check your air, is in the morning. it should be 32psi COLD.
when you drive the tire get hot and psi increases.
Its crazy when you have like 15psi in the tire. the tire wont be stable. It starts to build up a lot of heat and just self destruct.

the TPMS should give you a warning when its a certain % low from 32psi.
That's why you got the warning in the morning, then the light went off as you drove. so your air was actually lower than 26psi.

My advice to you is. DO NOT USE FIX A FLAT. It has a high chance of ruining your sensors. even if it does said TIRE SENSOR SAFE. the sensor has a small hole in it so it can read the pressure. Fix a flat will clog up that whole.
Pretty much sum's this thread up.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 05:26 PM

My only wish is that the TPMS would should actual pressure numbers, like my old 350z did. Oh well.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 05:52 PM

Question

Originally Posted by deludedbuzz
My only wish is that the TPMS would should actual pressure numbers, like my old 350z did. Oh well.
My chevy van displays the number but the Evo has a dummy light. Why?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:21 AM

Yeah, when I go to track with my Z06, I always check the numbers even during the lapping, so I know what PSI they're at. It also makes me realize which tire is taking the beating since it would get hotter than others, and register a higher pressure. Very very useful for me. Why the hell can't we read the numbers? Can AccessPort read it? Or, is there a reader we can buy?
Originally Posted by bigmiketino
My chevy van displays the number but the Evo has a dummy light. Why?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:09 PM

The AP can't read it but I do believe the TPMS runs on the canbus.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:37 PM

not sure if it makes a difference, but i put stock 350z wheels on my bros 07 altima and the sensor tripped. All of the wheels have tpms & sensors were fine b4 the swap. Any ideas? Went from 16's to 17's.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by mvp2765
not sure if it makes a difference, but i put stock 350z wheels on my bros 07 altima and the sensor tripped. All of the wheels have tpms & sensors were fine b4 the swap. Any ideas? Went from 16's to 17's.
You need to use the original sensors that came in the 16's. I'm not sure what it is on a Nissan. Either you have to register the new sensors to the car or there is a compaitblity issue. Different car manufactures use different sensors.

I really wish Mitsubishi did display the actual psi. Every sensor knows the psi in the tires. Theres a tool that you use to relearn the sensors. When you use it to scan the sensors. It will tell you the make,sensor ID,psi(with a +/-)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mvp2765
U have to reset the tpms on the stock 350z wheels so it can be used on the altima.

Tire shops have a resetting tool that they use to reset the tpms for the car. I have a 350z as well and when they "rebuild" my tpms, they have to reset the sensor.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:39 PM

I guess i will need to get them reset.. Thanks