Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hood release latch broke!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood release latch broke!

Ok so is there any kind of TSB on the bad hood release or whatever, where it rusts out and makes it hard to pull.

I recently went to open my hood and the plastic latch in the cabin broke when pulling on it. Has this happened to anyone else? There is currently no way to open my hood, unless you take a cresent wrench and tighten it around the wire and do that to open it, but I've been avoiding that cause I don't want to break the cable.

Was this a recall? Will they fix the latch for free or am I going to be stuck paying for that? Its really annoying not being able to pop my hood whenever.

Thanks

Last edited by HAHAV8; Sep 25, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

wasnt aware there was a tsb on this...my hood release latch is very hard to pull also, but hasnt broken yet
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I guess there isn't, I was mistaken.

Be careful pulling it, I suggest taking it to your dealer to get it fixed.

I just hate dealing with the dealership.

This is probably another one of those worthless problems that is going to cost me money
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:56 PM

There is a tsb out for that. Just take it to the dealership and they will cover it.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:03 PM
T6
Evolving Member

My dealership doesnt get ****... I found all the TSB's for every damn recall for mine... (keep in mind that they are diamond care too, just sad...) I dont think I came by this, but does this TSB only for 08s? I would appreciate if anyone could send a pdf my way so I can take it to the dealership...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

its only for the 08.

heres a link
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...-ralliart.html

Originally Posted by T6
My dealership doesnt get ****... I found all the TSB's for every damn recall for mine... (keep in mind that they are diamond care too, just sad...) I dont think I came by this, but does this TSB only for 08s? I would appreciate if anyone could send a pdf my way so I can take it to the dealership...

Last edited by sideway180sx; Sep 25, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

There should be a TSB on the plastic gas pedal that likes to snap off on some owners, like myself. WTF Mitsubishi!?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

You too huh? Bad day for those I guess ..

My latch has been pretty hard to pull since I got it 3 years ago but it finally broke today. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and see if they will order the parts before I take it in. Once is bad enough but having to go twice
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:56 PM

Easiest solution would be go to any local auto parts store and tell them what happened and they can direct you to a simple kit they make, basically a threaded tube about the size of a 9mm casing with a small hole through the side and a piece that threads into the end of the case, basically pinches the wire. I have had one on my 94 cutlass for 3 years now with no issue, on mine the end of the cable broke off so the piece just hides behind the stock lever.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys, I've been so busy lately with school and work its hard to find time to go to the dealership to deal with a bunch of people who have no idea what they're doing.

+1 on order the part first, and I'm waiting there while they do it because I really don't trust that they won't go for a joy ride. Like Subaru decided to do when I go work done on my STI.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChadS
Easiest solution would be go to any local auto parts store and tell them what happened and they can direct you to a simple kit they make, basically a threaded tube about the size of a 9mm casing with a small hole through the side and a piece that threads into the end of the case, basically pinches the wire. I have had one on my 94 cutlass for 3 years now with no issue, on mine the end of the cable broke off so the piece just hides behind the stock lever.
This would be good but the cable requires a TON of force to get it to unlatch the hood. It's a little easier if someone else pushes the hood down while you yank on the cable.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Yeah the dealership did fix mine awhile back when I was having the same issue, they had to replace the cable and latch...but it was covered. I didn't have to buy any parts either they were covered as well.....
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:34 AM

Yea I had that happen to my gts and they covered it but instead of fixing it I bought an evo instead lol
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:22 PM

don't worry...happend to most '08 mine 2...STEALERSHIP...will cover this one...about a 1/2 hour job...they just replace the cable...