Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How much tint? Post your pictures!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loudpedal
You might double check that. The law in Illinois changed in 2009. 35% all around is now allowed. ...or 50% or darker on rears only. Don't know if it's different in the city, but here's the link to the state law:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...?Name=096-0815

The tint percentage is how much light passes through it, not how much light it blocks. From the way you responded it sounded like you're saying it backwards.

Example: on mine: 7% rear (7% passes through aka Limo), fronts 32% (32% passes through).

So applied to the way you stated "50% or darker" 35% IS darker.

Generally speaking, tinking is done in increments of near 5%, near 20%, near 25%, and around 35%. Different brands have different increments, but that's the basics of Darkest - Dark - Even - and kinda Light.

Most states allow 35%(or near that) on front Driver/Pass and some states like AZ have no laws for rears, but the ones that do have laws usually have it at 20% or to match fronts at 35%.

Remember, ultimately it just has to not be dark enough to make an officer actually measure it. Another handy thing I do (out of courtesy) when getting stopped or at highway check points, I just roll my windows down so they can see in the car. If you make an officer feel comfortable with approaching you for whatever he feels he needs to do, you're entire situation will be less stressful.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by loudpedal
You might double check that. The law in Illinois changed in 2009. 35% all around is now allowed. ...or 50% or darker on rears only. Don't know if it's different in the city, but here's the link to the state law:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...?Name=096-0815
This is true, 35% all around, if you go darker in the back, 50% is the limit for the front two windows.

I got PB and i opted for the 20% in the back and 35% in the front. It looks good w/o being to dark to see out of at night. I can still be pulled over but I will risk it anyways.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

in illinois its allowed now to have 35% all windows.. i got mine tinted for 200 in umbra located in schaumburg..
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have had 4 cars tinted. Everything from Limo to 35%. I have received a warning on my current evo 35% in cali. I recieved an infraction for the limo on both my 04 subie and ford focus. I never received a ticket with limo on my 06 wrx though. Its hit or miss and if the officer got laid that morning.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Here is mine:

20% all around, had 35% on my STI and it was too light. Expect to get pulled over at some point though with 20%, you need to get very good at rolling your windows down when you pass cops, even though mine are always open unless its cold/raining. Either way you just pay a fine to keep them, not the end of the world.

Name:  6107360046_1b78c5bff6_b.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  336393_2036395714398_1379370348_32003837_3694913_o.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  134.4 KB
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HAHAV8
Here is mine:

you need to get very good at rolling your windows down when you pass cops, even though mine are always open unless its cold/raining. Either way you just pay a fine to keep them, not the end of the world.

^+1 on all of it.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if you have "illegal" tint on your car and you get pulled over by the cops for it. Aren't they just gonna make you take it off? Seems like you should just play it safe and get whats legal or you might end up paying double the price. Is that how it works or do you just get a ticket?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:05 PM

I have 32% all around. If you have a dark interior, your tint will look darker.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
75% in ny, I don't have tints but to have 75 might as while leave it alone
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alpha X
So if you have "illegal" tint on your car and you get pulled over by the cops for it. Aren't they just gonna make you take it off? Seems like you should just play it safe and get whats legal or you might end up paying double the price. Is that how it works or do you just get a ticket?
I can say in Tx you get a big a$$ ticket. Can't remeber the fine but got pulled over twice for it thru the years and they have meters to check how dark it is. Someone else mentioned keeping the cops feeling comfortable--- an excellent suggestion. lets say it just starts with tint and the next think you know you have a series of tickets, multiple cop cars and dogs--who needs that . keep it legal and avoid the issues. Once you get all the windowns done it gets dark quick. As for limo tint on the back, sounds great except when your trying to back in the dark--like out of a parking space and cant see crap.. Just a few suggestions.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

When backing at night I have no probs with the 7%, however the tint brand and quality will make a big difference
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zombie Killer
What is FL law with regard to tint?
rear doors and windows should be min 15%, and front doors are 28%.. but I hardly ever see any car lighter than 20% which I used to have on my previous cars(all around).. I am now running 18% all around..

Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:54 AM

I have 5% on all my windows. I went lighter in some of my other cars previously but I keep going back to 5.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alpha X

Well if you are experienced like us in CALI this is what you do.
You get a good tint and pay $30 for the extended warranty. This warranty will replace ANY 4 windows at ANY time. Removal and new tint. So in essence if I get a ticket, at no cost, I can remove and replace my front windows twice wich would mean I would need the waste of space chicken S cops to give me 3 of those nice fix it tickets. Its a game and the cops know it.

FYI in cali you can only have the 3 rear windows tinted. That doesnt work for us that hate the heat and like to keep the car cool. It doesnt affect me when I drive cause unless its below 30 in socal I roll with the front windows down.

Last edited by trick3d; Oct 18, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by trick3d
Well if you are experienced like us in CALI this is what you do.
You get a good tint and pay $30 for the extended warranty. This warranty will replace ANY 4 windows at ANY time. Removal and new tint. So in essence if I get a ticket, at no cost, I can remove and replace my front windows twice wich would mean I would need the waste of space chicken S cops to give me 3 of those nice fix it tickets. Its a game and the cops know it.

FYI in cali you can only have the 3 rear windows tinted. That doesnt work for us that hate the heat and like to keep the car cool. It doesnt affect me when I drive cause unless its below 30 in socal I roll with the front windows down.
Just out of curiosity what percentage do you run in the front? How often do you get hassled by the cops because of the tint? I ask because unfortunately I live in cali and want the front and rear windows to match.

Quick Reply: How much tint? Post your pictures!