Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Modification for the daily driver evox with stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modification for the daily driver evox with stock turbo

I just got the 2011 evo (DD).
I am collecting parts for now and plan to install all of them right before the dyno tune. (My experience with IX with bunch of bolt ons makes me hesitate to install one by one)
Currently, I am thinking turbo back with high flow cat, drop in filter and synchronic DV.
With the dyno tune in mind, will the UICP, LICP and open intake will help the gain?
Also, are there any other parts you guys recommend?
Is the dyno tune requires certain parts like wideband and boost controller?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UICP, LICP and intake can help with a dyno tune, although gains are smaller than the exhaust system.

You will not see any benefit from the DV.

Dyno tune should (read:requires) have a wideband. You will see more benefit with a 3-port boost solenoid, but a manual or electronic boost controller will also work.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:22 PM

first off, welcome! congrats on the evo...that being said, I would use the "search" function to answer a lot of these questions...

I think that the mods you have in mind are great, especially the turbo-back. Our cats are the most restrictive part on the car and you'll notice immediate gains. The UICP is a must as well, as the stock "pipe" is subject to flexing. An intake will definitely add gains and if you choose a short ram, it will bring the stock DV to life (not sure what the cold air intake does for sound so hopefully others will chime in). The Synchronic DV is sweet sounding, but not a necessity (unless you are wanting it for the sound) because our stock DV is really solid. As for the wideband and boost controller, I'm not totally sure if they're required for a tune, but I know if you want to add a boost controller, it's suggested to get a tune.

Before anyone can really suggest parts, I'd say we need to know what your intentions are? Even if it's a DD, you could want a 500+hp monster, so a little clarification of what you're going for would help! Good luck on the build, hope I helped a little bit
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:43 PM

Thanks guys
As I mentioned above, I had EVO IX for my first turbo and first modified car. So, I have been there (exited about bov sounds and others). The reason I want to go with synchronic DV is for preventing unnoticed boost leak during tuning that I might have with stock DV (I had this issue with my IX). Also, I thought the synchronic DV will not make any distinctive noise like other recirculated BOVs.

Oh, and what I am picturing right now is effective intake and exhaust system for solid reliable power (hopefully around 350) and investing some more on suspension system.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Exhaust, intake, and UICP and the minor mods that most people get. I would recommend a Grimspeed 3-port, boost gauge, and AEM UEGO wideband as well.

Just look at the major companies for parts.. AMS, ETS, COBB, Buschur.. can't go wrong with any of them. I have Nisei's 1-piece UICP and i think it looks better than most 2pieces. Akuma has some pretty nice pipes too. HKS or ARC some some JDM if thats your thing. I LOVE the Akropovic exhaust but I'm too poor to afford that.

Last edited by ugakirk; Jan 17, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

If you want a stock turbo DD, you are on the right track. I would say that HFC, TBE, UCIP, and 3 port are a must. Intake, LCIP and DV are optional. Also optional would be O2 housing, Kracka posted a very nice before/after dyno graph showing that O2 housing is worth a few extra ponies. For myself, I decided it was too small of a gain to chase for the cost involved, but that is your call obviously.

Look at my sig, I am totally happy after 16000 miles with this setup for DD. The only thing I daydream about is a larger intercooler, but don't have any immediate plans to change it.

You are doing the right thing by collecting all your parts and doing them all at once, choose wisely (can't go wrong with ETS), and enjoy!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by scarryy
If you want a stock turbo DD, you are on the right track. I would say that HFC, TBE, UCIP, and 3 port are a must. Intake, LCIP and DV are optional. Also optional would be O2 housing, Kracka posted a very nice before/after dyno graph showing that O2 housing is worth a few extra ponies. For myself, I decided it was too small of a gain to chase for the cost involved, but that is your call obviously.

Look at my sig, I am totally happy after 16000 miles with this setup for DD. The only thing I daydream about is a larger intercooler, but don't have any immediate plans to change it.

You are doing the right thing by collecting all your parts and doing them all at once, choose wisely (can't go wrong with ETS), and enjoy!
That's interesting as far as the exhaust system goes, the ETS all the way is what I am thinking right now. The only thing that I don understand is 3-port. can you explain some more?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
It's a boost controller. With a 3-port, a tuner can dial in boost a lot better than the average boost controller.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

and it's about the cheapest part you will ever buy, like $20.