Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I'm an idiot and I need some help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm an idiot and I need some help

Ok so let's get this out of the way with... I'm an idiot. Ok, now, I ran over a curb with my X... The bumper needs to be replaced, the plastic under the motor and left fender well got ripped off as well.. Question is, Does insurance cover idiots who run over curbs? Should I go through Mitsubishi? Is it worth getting an FQ400 bumper or are they too expensive? I've never been in this situation and need some help from you guys. Thanks.

Last edited by mct9891; Jan 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yes insurance will cover you, as for the rest i have no idea. good luck.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things happen, how much is your deductible?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

$500 deductible. is it worth going through insurance. I would assume the bumper plus the paint job is already over the $500
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah it'll be at least 1000 with paintwork. Your insurance won't deny you coverage because it was your fault. Say your swerved to avoid a flock of bunny rabbits.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rongdoer
Yeah it'll be at least 1000 with paintwork. Your insurance won't deny you coverage because it was your fault. Say your swerved to avoid a flock of bunny rabbits.

oh well... we live and we learn
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by rongdoer
lol "a flock of bunny rabbits"
But if u do find out the price of the fq400 or if ur insurance gets u that bumper some how let me know and I'll run into a curb too :P hahaah
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CounterConcept
lol "a flock of bunny rabbits"
But if u do find out the price of the fq400 or if ur insurance gets u that bumper some how let me know and I'll run into a curb too :P hahaah
lol will do. I'll probably get all the work done at Mitsu though, I don't want anyone touching the Evo who doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to the aerodynamic plastic undercarriage lol.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mct9891
lol will do. I'll probably get all the work done at Mitsu though, I don't want anyone touching the Evo who doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to the aerodynamic plastic undercarriage lol.
Then you definitely dont want mitsu doing it lol
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:11 AM

You might want to get quotes before you turn it in to insurance. One vehicle accidents are a good way to get your premium rates increased. In the long run the premium increase may be more than paying for the damage yourself.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by tjacoby
You might want to get quotes before you turn it in to insurance. One vehicle accidents are a good way to get your premium rates increased. In the long run the premium increase may be more than paying for the damage yourself.
^Agreed. I hit a cone at an auto-cross in my Z which cracked the front bumper. I called my insurance agent and just told them I hit a traffic cone that fell out of a truck on the highway.

They told me that unless I could pin the accident on someone in particular it would be considered my fault. This makes sense because they can not confirm it did fall out of a truck unless I got a police report or something.

After hearing that some gorilla glue and touch up paint fixed it for $10... Good as new

You should run the numbers and see what is more benificial. I believe accidents stay on your record for 3-5 years, which you will be paying an increased premium.

Best bet would be to call your insurance agent. Be honest, and see what they advise you to do.

Sorry about your car!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Here is the bottom line: You ran over a curb and messed up your bumper/Bottom plastics - pay it out of pocket. Save an insurance claim for something that's actually worth it.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:59 AM

pics of damage?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
That sucks. Bumper, fender, and undertray are not cheap. Are you sure that you didn't mess up the intercooler, ac condenser, oil cooler, side skirts or anything else? There is a lot of goodies that can get messed up on an Evo and it is expensive to repair sometimes.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Oh, and I think the authentic FQ400 kit costs around 8k once it's complete.

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot and I need some help