Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Stupid Fast Key!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Is the fast key an option or standard equipment?
Optional at extra cost of course. But it comes with lots of extra stuff. It's well worth the $2,100 price

• HID headlights with manual leveling
  • 710-Watt (max.), Rockford Fosgate® punch premium sound system w/ 9-speakers including 10" subwooferr
  • 6CD/MP3 in-Dash audio head unit
  • SiriusXM™ satellite radio w/ 3 Month service provided by SiriusXM™ from date of sale
  • Fast-Key entry system
From http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/evo/12/build.do
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:44 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you really want to warm up the car while its locked get yourself the viper smart system. Yea, it will cost you 500 bucks but it is worth it. I am thinking about getting one myself.

For me, it's not that much of a big deal. I always warm up my car while I am outside of the vehicle smoking so whatever but what is extremely annoying is not being able to open the trunk while the car is running and the key is NOT on you. It's retarded but getting the viper smart system will fix it as I ill just start my car via my phone. Warm the car up while its locked and I could access the trunk doing so as I will have the key on me and not inside
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:53 AM

With remote start systems/alarms and fast key, it just seems like a headache to me. I might be wrong, but doesn't that mean you need to now carry around two key fobs. Bit irritating.

+1 on the key and phone in the same pocket, I can't tell you how many times the unlock hasn't worked for me until I get my phone away from the key.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:59 AM

In the MR model. You can't drive the car away with out the key..... I've tried it before. I left it in double park, left the keys on the counter as I was dropping something off. Went back to the car to put it in drive... nope. it won't even let you switch into "D"....lol
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:01 AM

I really love the FAST key, just wish my house worked the same way so I would never have to remove them from my pocket. I do wish you could lock it while leaving it running...the car knows when the keys are inside or outside, so if the keys are left inside: don't lock, else: lock. Wish they would've programmed it that way.

Originally Posted by EXcel4600c
OEM remote starts arent that bad plus they work great with the FAST key. I got the Outlander sport remote start... the sexy remote not the one with the long antenna. Yeah i have to restart my car when i open the door cause the car has shut off when you grab the doorto unlock it. but my car is warmed up and ready to go and it runs for 10 min or 30 min. For less than $500, installed it myself in 2hrs ill deal with it plus i dont need it to run longer than 10 min anyway just long enough for my seat to be warm and the water temp to be warm. Oh also this is for autos or SSTs plug and play.
Do the outlanders work the same way? I mean do they have to restart the car when the door is opened to unlock?

I wonder if it would be possible to make this work with a GSR?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:05 AM

I have an iphone and have never had an issue with the key not working? that's bizarre...just frequency interference or something?

I honestly did not know that I had a real key in the key fob hahah learn something new everyday. I lost my FAST system, going from not having it in the 2010 GSR to having it in the 2011 MR is night and day. Definitely worth it!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:08 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by N118GT
With remote start systems/alarms and fast key, it just seems like a headache to me. I might be wrong, but doesn't that mean you need to now carry around two key fobs. Bit irritating.

+1 on the key and phone in the same pocket, I can't tell you how many times the unlock hasn't worked for me until I get my phone away from the key.
the viper smart system is an app for your phone so nothing will change if you get it.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThugzNHarmony
In the MR model. You can't drive the car away with out the key..... I've tried it before. I left it in double park, left the keys on the counter as I was dropping something off. Went back to the car to put it in drive... nope. it won't even let you switch into "D"....lol
See, that's what I figured. Never tried it but would make no sense to allow you to drive off without the key!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ThugzNHarmony
This is not true for me. I have a 2010 MR Touring and it will let you put it into drive hence the reason I had my wife drop off my keys at work after I arrived.

What year is your car?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Alpha X
Optional at extra cost of course. But it comes with lots of extra stuff. It's well worth the $2,100 price

• HID headlights with manual leveling
  • 710-Watt (max.), Rockford Fosgate® punch premium sound system w/ 9-speakers including 10" subwooferr
  • 6CD/MP3 in-Dash audio head unit
  • SiriusXM™ satellite radio w/ 3 Month service provided by SiriusXM™ from date of sale
  • Fast-Key entry system
From http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/evo/12/build.do
I wish the HID's were available as a stand alone option, I didn't really want any of the other stuff. I guess I could have bought it without the SS package and got HID's after, but I didn't think of that till a couple months after I bought it...
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by T6
the viper smart system is an app for your phone so nothing will change if you get it.
don't you have to get a separate module to use it with you iphone, and thats like another 2-300?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I got my Mustang one of the things I immediately missed from my EVO X was fast key. Once you get used to it it's really hard to go back to using a key. Ford probably left it off as it would confuse too many of the old coots that buy Mustangs.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:02 PM

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but I was looking for updated info regarding fast key and remote starts to see if it has been able to be done without having to restart the car when ready to go.

Anyway, I noticed people were doing "the window trick" and what not to lock the car while warming it up lol I always warm up my car a bit before driving off but the way to do it is to unlock the car, open the door, get in, press the lock button on the door so the door locks, THEN turn the knob to turn on the car. The car will stay locked. Then just shut the door and leave with your key and it will be locked. When you get back though, you have to use the metal key to unlock the car... Don't think theres any way around it.

If anyone has any info about being able to use the fast key and a remote start without the car shutting off and you having to restart it please let me know! I know this means you'd have to carry 2 key fobs around but I can live with that... I'd rather not have to restart the car everytime though.

Last edited by laz1e; Oct 25, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:34 AM

I think this is pretty common with lots of smart key / Push start cars. MY lexus was also like this, where you can start it up and can't lock it as it think's the key is in the car.... BUT!! you can drive it away..

Forgot my key on my other jacket when i went to warm up my car and swap it a different jacket when i drove off.. Luckily i was only a few mins away from home and i didn't turn the car off... IF i did oh man that would suck.

But yes smart keys still have a long way to go.. untill we can get all the true features we want..
Old Oct 29, 2013, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

Before I had my remote start I would just use the Emergency key to lock and unlock my door after starting to warm up the engine. Now if using an OEM remote start the complaint is once the car unlocks the motor shuts off well the is no real safe way to get around this it's a safety feture. I don't mind it cause like someone said it stops you from forgetting your keys some where else. The outlander remote start I installed will let me remote start even if my doors are unlocked so imagine if the car didn't shut off when the door was opened how much of a bad day that would be.

Quick Reply: Stupid Fast Key!!