Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Stupid Fast Key!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Fast Key!!

2010 Evo X MR Touring with fast key. How come I cant lock the car when it is running so that no one can steal anything out of the car after I walk away while I run into the store or after I start it up in the morning to warm up?

Also another fast key issue I have......why the hell did they design the car so that you can actually drive away with it if it is running without having the fast key on you. I did this a few weeks back after I started my car I went back inside and musta put my keys down forgot about them and then drove to work only to find out when I go to leave that day I dont have my keys on me. Had to call the wife to bring them to me at work.

My final fast key issue again when the car is running.........you cant open the trunk by just pressing the trunk button. You have to actually go around and pull the manual lever in the cabin. I know there is another issue when just trying to unlock the car while it is running as well but I simply cant remeber what it is at this time!!

Lets hear your complaints!!

HOLLA!!!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

I wish I could lock the Evo while I'm away or warming it up. So much more convenient, esp. since I park on the street and not a garage.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
You CAN lock it.. it's just kinda of aggravating. The whole reasoning behind it is to make sure you don't lock your keys in the car..

The way you do it is roll down the window, get out of the car, reach inside through the window and lock the doors. Then hit the window up button to roll the window back up. Just have to make sure the keys are on you.

And isn't there a message on the HUD about "key missing" when you take the keys out of the car? How did you not notice the message before getting to your destination?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my trunk button seems to work when my car is running and the key is in my pocket. I have an 09 ES. nd the locking thing while its running is a safety feature so that you don't lock yourself out
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:33 PM

Locking the car while it is warming up:

I do this every morning..

If you look at the back of your fast-key fob there is a switch to release the actual key.

Just start the car, while inside lock the doors using the interior door lock button. I then leave the fast-key fob in the vehicle when I exit and lock the driver's door with the key.

Car is locked and warming, and no annoying proximity beep from the fast key being too far from the car...
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

I thought you couldn't drive the car away if the key is not with you.

Last edited by stvbreal; Jan 26, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:16 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bmxking45
2010 Evo X MR Touring with fast key. How come I cant lock the car when it is running so that no one can steal anything out of the car after I walk away while I run into the store or after I start it up in the morning to warm up?

Also another fast key issue I have......why the hell did they design the car so that you can actually drive away with it if it is running without having the fast key on you. I did this a few weeks back after I started my car I went back inside and musta put my keys down forgot about them and then drove to work only to find out when I go to leave that day I dont have my keys on me. Had to call the wife to bring them to me at work.

My final fast key issue again when the car is running.........you cant open the trunk by just pressing the trunk button. You have to actually go around and pull the manual lever in the cabin. I know there is another issue when just trying to unlock the car while it is running as well but I simply cant remeber what it is at this time!!

Lets hear your complaints!!

HOLLA!!!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Curious, i don't have a tactrix cable, but wouldn't you be able to change variables in the ecu for fast key?

For example if X= Car running and 0-1 (Unlock and lock )most likely from
default X - 0 (Car running, always unlocked) Can't be locked with fob

now can't we just change that 0 to 1 so x - 1 (car running, car can be locked)

i know it isnt THAT easy, but figured it something like that.

Also the biggest thing would be, making the car not function with the key missing display.

For example, If you were to put it in gear and press on the throttle it would not move.

Key missing - 0% throttle signal sent (And it would stall out the car if it was in GSR)

& For SST, you can a Shift lock on Park if key is not detected. & if for some reason it is able to.

The moment it gets put into drive and you step on the throttle, have the car turn off with 0% throttle signal.

Is this even freakin possible? LOL
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stvbreal
I thought you couldn't drive the car away if the key is not with you.
Nope....you can def drive the car away....they shoulda designed it so that once you hit the brake to put the car into drive the car would shut off. the japanese honor system musta gone into the design of it!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

OK. That's freakin' stupid. Well, I could say I'm stupid for not even reading more into it in the manual but, srsly? Def kill the motor as soon as you hit the break to put into drive.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

yeh, im more concerned about the driving away part. I was told/under the impression that if someone were to highjack me, (keys in pocket) simply get out and let them have it, and it wont go too far with the key being separated from it, and then u can lock the person in there cops yada yada. Now if it can go miles without the fast key, well thats just bad period.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:22 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lobster

If you look at the back of your fast-key fob there is a switch to release the actual key.

Just start the car, while inside lock the doors using the interior door lock button. I then leave the fast-key fob in the vehicle when I exit and lock the driver's door with the key.

Car is locked and warming, and no annoying proximity beep from the fast key being too far from the car...
Awesome!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stvbreal
OK. That's freakin' stupid. Well, I could say I'm stupid for not even reading more into it in the manual but, srsly? Def kill the motor as soon as you hit the break to put into drive.
That would be stupid.

Lets say you are on the freeway, cruising at 60mph+ and the battery in your FASTkey dies. The car then thinks "it's not in range anymore"

...and once you wreck because you're trying to recover without the assist on your brakes or steering

It's why it beeps to let you know you've taken the key away from the car. If you started the car, left with the key, and left your key while away from the car, you are sort of asking for this to happen. I use a keychain clip and leave it clipped to my belt loop. So I always have the key on me.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bmxking45
Originally Posted by ugakirk
You CAN lock it.. it's just kinda of aggravating. The whole reasoning behind it is to make sure you don't lock your keys in the car..

The way you do it is roll down the window, get out of the car, reach inside through the window and lock the doors. Then hit the window up button to roll the window back up. Just have to make sure the keys are on you.

And isn't there a message on the HUD about "key missing" when you take the keys out of the car? How did you not notice the message before getting to your destination?
Originally Posted by Lobster

really? it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. you don't need to do any stupid window nonsense... start the car, get out, close the door, pull the actually key out of the fob and lock the door manually... its really not that big of a deal

but i do hate the fast key, only reason being is there isn't an elegant solution for an aftermarket remote start system to work with it... everything i've seen you have to leave a key in the car or carry around your stock keyfob and aftermarket keyfob with you all the time... and the way the actually did it... they couldn't put a start button, they just put a stupid plastic cover over the key hole...
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

The only time the Fast key pisses me off is when my phone & the the key are in the same pocket >.<

Other than that I love it! Don't have to take my key out of my pocket to unlock, start the car or lock it

Last edited by Alpha X; Jan 27, 2012 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Stupid Fast Key!!