Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

piggybacking a fuse off of a piggyback fuse?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question piggybacking a fuse off of a piggyback fuse?

So im going to install my prosport boost gauge and aem wideband soon, and have been reading the walkthroughs thoroughly. one issue is though, they only account for just that one gauge for tapping into the accessory power.

can I do them both at once with those "add a fuse/circuit" things and piggyback one off the other which goes into the cig. lighter fuse holder spot? (aka, I wanna tap the SAME power supply for both gauges)

also- if so, what current do you think i should run for each fuse that i put into the piggybacked fuse holder (what size fuse, 5A? 10A? etc...)

well if anyone understands my post, any insight is appreciated.

-Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:39 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you trying to start an electrical fire or something? Do it right.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
something like this?

STM sells them...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

To be safe & have a cleaner install, I think you need a distribution block..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hing-else.html
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

I agree on adding in a power/ dist block for all of your accessories being installed into the vehicle, But I build/upfit police/fire/ems etc.. vehicles for a living so i am used to running power/switched dist blocks into vehicles, makes for a much cleaner install. We use the pig tail fuses for most of our switched power when installing two way radios but you need to make sure you are installing an inline fuse holder as well. -JOEYD
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ikt
umm... no, that is not my intent. hence the point of this post. to try to find out how. thanks for the info guy.

Originally Posted by tim85851
something like this?

STM sells them...
not *exactly* like that, but if you put a fuse tap into the stock fuse holder then a fuse tap into that fuse tap

Originally Posted by AFD
To be safe & have a cleaner install, I think you need a distribution block..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hing-else.html
that is good, in fact this is what i'm looking for, however, he doesnt explain what/how the junction blocks are working, or what wires go to where on either of those fuse blocks... give me a bit of a head start...

is there a circuit diagram for those distribution blocks? what i mainly want to know is are all the wires that connect to the block connected to eachother? or just the wires across from the other one on the other side, not next to eachother though
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

what that link shows is a terminal strip not a dist block. A dist block would allow you to run a main power line in and be able to connect/fuse mult accessories off of that.

this is what I am talking about

http://www.connectorsupply.com/catal...8_6_4_gang.JPG

as you can see you can get them in many sizes... you would run a main line in from the batter or a switched source and you can add all of you accessories to it and pop the fuses right in the block. You can also find them covered as well.. we use a company called blue sea for the covered units. Hope this helps-JOEYD
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

does someone have a simple wiring diagram for this? or could someone make one? showing simple parts in the diagram(i.e: sources for power, each wire coming out, any in-line components (fuses, resistors, junction boxes, etc, and their size), grounds, and the destination to the wire leads) ... so basically all the way from accessory power -> grounds-> everything in between -> the gauges

nothing elaborate. an MS paint or something of-the-like will suffice.

because I am just not getting something. as simple as this is >.<

Last edited by Evolution Z; Feb 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ikt
He wouldn't be able to start a fire because the cig. lighter circuit fuse would blow before it caught on fire

The most secure circuit to run power off of which has enough margin built it is always the radio. For example, factory MR gauges for Evo8/9 are ran this way and just about every car I've ever owned has also been wired this way too.

In addition, prosport daisy chain will run multiple gauges off the same power source, the gauge wire they give you for those gauges are normally like 22g or 24g... so the draw is very small in comparison. A wideband is slightly different as it will use the power to heat the 02 sensor, but still can be ran off radio circuit with a handful of other gauges.