Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Volkswagen Golf R vs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR - Head 2 Head

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh, man, Rob. Are we really going to have the whole transverse vs longitudinal discussion/argument again? No thanks.

The rest of your post is one of those "I'm going use a tone that suggests that I'm looking down on you while actually saying exactly the same as what you said," which I'll also take a pass on, as well.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Oh, man, Rob. Are we really going to have the whole transverse vs longitudinal discussion/argument again? No thanks.

The rest of your post is one of those "I'm going use a tone that suggests that I'm looking down on you while actually saying exactly the same as what you said," which I'll also take a pass on, as well.
actually i quoted you by mistake ... i thought i quoted this ...lol

Originally Posted by rashid.4v
You people are in denial, why..."because race car" right. Ok. The evo is amazing, I love it but the reality is that it isn't a race car, rally car sure, but even a full factory rally car has some drastic improvements. How much is a full factory STI compared to a consumer model.
As soon as a car does better than the evo the first excuse is that if the evo was stage 2 or that they use the FQs. When you walk out of a showroom, you get that car and if the evo can't win guess what, maybe it isn't in it's class, that's ok, what's the problem. If you can tune the evo then the other car can be tuned too. I just accept the context for which it's in and in that context, the evo is king, against a 400-500hp car, cmon....

I had an MS3 and it too was built in Japan unlike the mazda 3s and in a separate factory exactly the same as the evo, but guess what. It's still a mazda 3 underneath.
The evo exist as we know it because an engineer sat down and figured out how to get all these components that make the evo fit into a lancer. So they stretched the wheel base, beefed up the chassis, etc, yes all to what was on the drawing board as a lancer. Even in the Feb Super Street magazine explaining awd systems, explains that it's awd system is based on a front wheel drive platform, unlike the GTR(rwd) or an STI(symmetrical), why because that was originally what it was, a fwd car.

But I won't win this discussion and it wasn't my intent, you guys are loyal to the evo up until the point you have to admit it's just an offspring of a crappy Lancer. Walk into a Mitsu dealer and see how you're treated, like you bought a $35-45k car?, nope.

I love my Evo, waited five years to get it and I'm extremely happy, comfortable and content enough in my decision, yet knowing that it's a hyped up Lancer, no insecurities here.

doesn't really matter , but here is my answer to him not to you... oh well...

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Well, before someone talks about things he doesnt know or nit really informed , suggest to read the pwrc and grupe n regulations what is actually allowed to be modified. the price comes inthe rally car in labor and safety gears parts and shocks brakes etc. The car mainly stay as it is. Even side mirros not allowed to be changed...
The mazda ms 3 and the evo separate build is a whole different story, and should.be not mixed up.
The evo is fwd based awd system because its a best approach for awd system for this type of cars. look it up.
The sti is a rwd based system but the none awd subaru wrx's are fwd also. you guys see the glitch's in his comments?
and i can go on and on. But this is a whole different subject from the original subject.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 30, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

That's hilarious, Rob.

edit: have you considered using the R4 rules? I think you can be lighter and have a sequential tranny, but haven't read it all.

Last edited by Iowa999; Jan 30, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

R4 kit cost more then a car from factory when you done with everything. Lighter and longer suspension set up etc. But i dont think for me its worth that much money. Even when its close a seconds faster per mile vs the regular N car.

it is great mod but for those who doing rally for a living.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TravisF
Seriously what's even the point of comparing the two?

The VW is heavier, has a bigger engine but makes less power than us. What a waste of time.
lolwut. The Golf R is over 300lbs lighter than the MR and has the same displacement...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

hatches are just sexier:

Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

And is a slow **** turd.
No contest a mr x all the way, no comparo sorry,
Traction control that can't be disabled.
Fail sauce, ill take an evo any day of that thing.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gyroscope
hatches are just sexier:
Well, I don't think it is a Golf. It should be a Polo.
Polo is better than Golf personally~
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Well that is a brand new Polo WRC car.... that car doesnt exists in the real world...like the STI or the evo does.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Well that is a brand new Polo WRC car.... that car doesnt exists in the real world...like the STI or the evo does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9dx...e_gdata_player
Only the WRC version does not exist.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitlan
Let me get this straight. You are saying that the car that came in second at Monte Carlo does not exist. Seriously? Do the people that came in below Ogier know about this or is it your little secret? Because they all should have gotten more points.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gyroscope
hatches are just sexier
I agree. When looking at all-out rally cars, I'm completely in love with several of the three-door, 1.6 liter cars and like the change in the rules.

But, when it comes to looking at cars that have something to do with what I'll be driving on the street, given my family size, budget, etc, I'm equally delighted that the 4-door, 2.0 liter cars will be around for at least a few more years. I just wish that WRC-2 got even one-fifth the attention as WRC-1.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitlan
I am speechless, which is really uncommon lol

amateur footage so its not made up story just for you:

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 1, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

I have a different take on this debate, I have no problem with people saying my car is based on a Lancer or w/e...The Lancer is a good little car, far more exciting than the equivilant: Toyota Corollas, Honda Civics, Nissan Sentras out there...plus it is safe and reliable and not like all the cookie cutter cars on the road. That being said, the majority of the parts on the EVO are different and geared towards performance.
The Golf R looks like a nice car, it is just in a different league...not comparable to the EVO in the performance arena....noone can argue that it is, stats/testing just doesnt bear this out.
Plus VW quality just hasnt been there for many many years...they usually rank low on any surveys for quality/reliability issues.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

My take is that the "debate" is a waste of time. They share a body and interior. End of story. Neither is really "based" on the other because they were developed in parallel, with each trim starting from the shared body and interior. If you really insist that one is based on the other, you can make an equally strong argument that a Lancer is based on an Evo as you can that an Evo is based on a Lancer.

I'm actually starting to miss the other argument: whether transverse vs longitudinal engine orientation is the key to the difference between Scoobies and Evos, or whether it's the use of a planetary center vs a 50/50. Can we have that one again, instead, please?

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Golf R vs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR - Head 2 Head