Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Volkswagen Golf R vs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR - Head 2 Head

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and lets not forget the bosch motronic ecu's used in the R is light years ahead of the evo's siemens ecu. you dont hear of R engines blowing inexplicably like you do evo's.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyroscope
and lets not forget the bosch motronic ecu's used in the R is light years ahead of the evo's siemens ecu. you dont hear of R engines blowing inexplicably like you do evo's.
Yeah, engines blowing up because the ecus.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Let me get this straight. You are saying that the car that came in second at Monte Carlo does not exist. Seriously? Do the people that came in below Ogier know about this or is it your little secret? Because they all should have gotten more points.
I just add an addition information to the previous post. I mean the WRC version is not available for public to purchase. Please read what I have quoted.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitlan
I just add an addition information to the previous post. I mean the WRC version is not available for public to purchase. Please read what I have quoted.
you can buy it , if you have enough money.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No, thanks. My day job includes watching people walk stuff back when their nonsense is pointed out to be nonsense. It's Superbowl Weekend. I'm taking a break.

Plus, Rob has already pointed out that you still don't get it. Not only can you buy a WRC-1 Polo (if you have a few hundred thousand lying around), but VW is obligated to sell 2500+ road versions to meet homologation rules. These are only $40k (plus mark-up for rareness). Go for it!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Plus, Rob has already pointed out that you still don't get it. Not only can you buy a WRC-1 Polo (if you have a few hundred thousand lying around), but VW is obligated to sell 2500+ road versions to meet homologation rules. These are only $40k (plus mark-up for rareness). Go for it!
Well, I am not here to argue. Yes, I still don't get it.
I thing you are still talking about the street version, but I was talking about the WRC version. Of course, I know that street version Polo is available to public.

However, do you mean like people can go to a dealership and said I want to a WRC EVO and drive it on street? First, I have never seen one on street. Second, I don't even see one on track that is owned by a random people. All the Rally car are made by themselves. They are very close to WRC versions, but they are not.

To confirm this I had a chance to ask the Subaru and Mitsubishi dealership today. They gave me the same answer. They woiuld not sell the car to me even I have enough money. It is around 16 times the price of the current EVO and STI. They said I can't not even register the car, and I am illegal to drive it on street. They even said they can't even import one for special order since the Japanese don't allow them to do so.

Can you explain further how I can get one? I am very interested since I really want to have one if I can at a later time.

Last edited by mitlan; Feb 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Have you tried a VW dealer?

Look. If you were not trying to say that the WRC-1 Polo doesn't exist - which is what we all thought you were saying - then just drop it and move on. It not only exists, it's darned good and scored a 2nd at it's first event. If, instead, you were trying to say that WRC-1 cars aren't on dealer lots for sale to the first person with more money than common sense, then - well, duh! - and let's still drop it and move on. Finally, if you're saying that no-one without the connections of an Ogier can get a WRC-1 Polo, then (a) you're not asking the right people and (b) who cares, anyway?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I am not here to argue. Yes, I still don't get it.
I thing you are still talking about the street version, but I was talking about the WRC version. Of course, I know that street version Polo is available to public.

However, do you mean like people can go to a dealership and said I want to a WRC EVO and drive it on street? First, I have never seen one on street. Second, I don't even see one on track that is owned by a random people. All the Rally car are made by themselves. They are very close to WRC versions, but they are not.

To confirm this I had a chance to ask the Subaru and Mitsubishi dealership today. They gave me the same answer. They woiuld not sell the car to me even I have enough money. It is around 16 times the price of the current EVO and STI. They said I can't not even register the car, and I am illegal to drive it on street. They even said they can't even import one for special order since the Japanese don't allow them to do so.

Can you explain further how I can get one? I am very interested since I really want to have one if I can at a later time.

its a lie the bold part. Any rally car is street legal ( by the rally rules they have to be)

just because you dont see the on teh street that does mean they are not on it? Did you ever see a Gumpert Apollo on street?

The WRC car is not that expensive as to keep them running...
The EVO was never a WRC car. Mitsubishi had a Mitsubishi Cedia based car build to be a Mitsubishi WRC car. Which is completely different from the EVO.

The EVo is build to be a grupe N rally car which is a class run in the WRC. But you can make them run in the Grupe A too.

just to touch some points of your comments fast. But the thread is not about this. You can open one if you want to talk about this
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Tommi M's Evo VI wasn't really an Evo?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Tommi M's Evo VI wasn't really an Evo?
Tommi VI was a grupe A car which actually won the WRC over the WRC cars. There for the Tommi VI is a true Evo, made in the same production line as any other evo. Grupe A was and is a production based model. Here in teh states the grupe A is an Open class rally cars.

( " His first win for the Japanese company came in 1996 on Rally Sweden with the Lancer Evo 3, and from that point on he dominated the sport for four years, winning 18 rallies and back to back titles in 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999." )

So the FIA made rules which made impossible for Mitsubishi to run more times grupe A car...

("Mitsubishi continued the success of the Japanese constructors. Subaru's Scotsman Colin McRae won the drivers' world championship in 1995 and Subaru took the manufacturers' title three years in a row. Finland's Tommi Mäkinen driving a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution won the drivers' championship four times in a row, from 1996 to 1999. Mitsubishi also won the manufacturers' title in 1998." )
("Peugeot 307 WRC and Ford Focus RS WRC 07 on a road section during the 2008 Monte Carlo Rally.
For the 1997 season, the World Rally Car regulations were introduced as an intended replacement for Group A (only successive works Mitsubishis still conforming to the latter formula; until they, too, homologated a Lancer Evolution WRC from the 2001 San Remo Rally " )
source "groupe A and WRC ":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_Championship

There for they forced them to made a WRC car if they want to stay in the sport competitive. ( FIA back then was is mainly french and uk organization ... )
So story short they did with rules, what they wanted to. They did locked Mitshibishi out of the podium. Ralliart doesn't had a experience with WRC cars so they did only for a few years and they dropped the idea. They did go back a production based rally cars (which is a general and base idea of rally not a WRC car, having a road car for rally which is sold at the dealers...) There they are still one of the most successful company. The X won many time the PWRC etc. for an example.
But also they mainly rule the grupe N category in regional rallys. The Evolution is bravely we can say one of the most successful and living legend on the road today in racing world. no joke.

So Tommi evo is a grupe A car , not a WRC car.

Rob.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the history lesson. One last question: do you have any idea why none of the Evo Xs that ran in (and dominated) P-WRC last year went to Monte Carlo this year? The WRC-2 rules would seem to allow any car that was legal in P-WRC last year to run in WRC-2 this year (under Group N rules in both cases), but no Evo Xs were there, leaving me only Juha Salo in Scandanavia and Antoine L'Estage in North America to root for.

Fortunately, both Salo and L'Estage won their events.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
The EVO was never a WRC car. Mitsubishi had a Mitsubishi Cedia based car build to be a Mitsubishi WRC car. Which is completely different from the EVO.

The EVo is build to be a grupe N rally car which is a class run in the WRC. But you can make them run in the Grupe A too.
Sorry, I still don't get why EVO was never a WRC car. Am I misunderstanded what you were trying to say or your definition?
I search in the internet there are a lot of information about the WRC EVO.

Here is one of the information.
"Mitsubishi Motors is embarking on a new and exciting chapter in its motorsports history by creating its first World Rally Car. Known as the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution WRC, it will made its first FIA World Rally Championship appearance on Italy's Sanremo Rally (5-7 October 2001).
The Lancer WRC is largely based on the four-door saloon and takes advantage of great freedom allowed by the WRC rules."

There are a lot of video that about WRC EVO as well. There is a mitsubishi Japanese WRC driver drove and showed his Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 2005 WRC.

Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I still don't get why EVO was never a WRC car. Am I misunderstanded what you were trying to say or your definition?
I search in the internet there are a lot of information about the WRC EVO.

Here is one of the information.
"Mitsubishi Motors is embarking on a new and exciting chapter in its motorsports history by creating its first World Rally Car. Known as the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution WRC, it will made its first FIA World Rally Championship appearance on Italy's Sanremo Rally (5-7 October 2001).
The Lancer WRC is largely based on the four-door saloon and takes advantage of great freedom allowed by the WRC rules."

There are a lot of video that about WRC EVO as well. There is a mitsubishi Japanese WRC driver drove and showed his Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 2005 WRC.

They called it an evo since that is they rally car and heritage, which they wont brake for a wrc car and fits the name perfect. Lancia called they integrales for evo too lancia integrale evo 2 was my favorite car look it up

The same time when they raced the wrc evo and they made a same time the evo for the street, that was two very different car. Even the rally evos in grupe A or N were different almost entirely from the wrc " evo".
I am not sure it is clear what i try go say here.

But in short the rally evos, and the street evos has a lot in common but a same time the wrc car was completely different. Dimensions mechanical part etc. Wrc car is a purposely build factory race car.the evo was and is a a rally car what every body can buy and race.
Dont hang to much on the name. It can trick you. As i saix like the lancia evos or the mercedes evos etc or if you want evolutions.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 4, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the history lesson. One last question: do you have any idea why none of the Evo Xs that ran in (and dominated) P-WRC last year went to Monte Carlo this year? The WRC-2 rules would seem to allow any car that was legal in P-WRC last year to run in WRC-2 this year (under Group N rules in both cases), but no Evo Xs were there, leaving me only Juha Salo in Scandanavia and Antoine L'Estage in North America to root for.

I honestly have no clue. I didnt look it up. I was literally 4 hour drive from monte carlo and i am still here, but i have way too much in my hands right now ti even go there to see the rally
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Its not just for you, for everybody who has a question about this. Many people.has no or a slight idea what they drive.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Golf R vs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR - Head 2 Head