Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Volkswagen Golf R vs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR - Head 2 Head

Old Apr 4, 2012, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not even 2 comparable cars...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta admit it made me laugh when he started cussing at the VW for not letting him do anything on the track.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

He certainly has a point about the road noise and rattles. Boy does it suck. If my MR has 17 lbs more sound deadening than a GSR and is still just as loud with almost as many little rattles as my 215k mile 99 GSX then I can't imagine what it's like to drive a GSR. Mitsubishi really needs to step up the interior fit and finish and road noise situation if they plan to contend amongst regular buyers who aren't willing to tolerate a noise/rattle box in exchange for the driving experience. I bought a '99 323i with 170k on it for $4500 that is practically silent inside by comparison w/ 19" forged wheels and slammed. I bought our '10 MR with 19k on the clock and the previous owner had already put little pieces of foam between panel gaps everywhere to quiet some of it down. When I removed it because it looked tacky I found out why it was there.

Last edited by Tom Sawyer; Apr 4, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TravisF
Gotta admit it made me laugh when he started cussing at the VW for not letting him do anything on the track.
Problem is, when you cuss at something that's German, but in words of fifteen syllables or less, it has no idea what you're saying.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

If you bought an Evo for the interior, then you have something wrong with you... The car was not meant to be quiet or give you a super comfortable ride, it was designed to fly around a track. I nearly turned off the review when he was complaining about road noise in the Evo. What a tool.

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
He certainly has a point about the road noise and rattles. Boy does it suck. If my MR has 17 lbs more sound deadening than a GSR and is still just as loud with almost as many little rattles as my 215k mile 99 GSX then I can't imagine what it's like to drive a GSR. Mitsubishi really needs to step up the interior fit and finish and road noise situation if they plan to contend amongst regular buyers who aren't willing to tolerate a noise/rattle box in exchange for the driving experience. I bought a '99 323i with 170k on it for $4500 that is practically silent inside by comparison w/ 19" forged wheels and slammed. I bought our '10 MR with 19k on the clock and the previous owner had already put little pieces of foam between panel gaps everywhere to quiet some of it down. When I removed it because it looked tacky I found out why it was there.
You are comparing a sports car to a sport luxury car. If the 323i had as much road noise as an Evo, it wouldn't sell. The interior in the Evo isn't meant to impress. I knew going into buying my SSL 8, that while it has leather Recaros, it isn't anywhere near the fit and finish of a BMW, but I didn't buy my Evo because the interior was nice. Lets face it, we all bought Evos because in stock for they are amazing at the track and with the support we get from Buschur, CBRD, AMS, STM, MAP, VRSF and so on, make the car even better.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by emotart
If you bought an Evo for the interior, then you have something wrong with you... The car was not meant to be quiet or give you a super comfortable ride, it was designed to fly around a track. I nearly turned off the review when he was complaining about road noise in the Evo. What a tool.

You are comparing a sports car to a sport luxury car. If the 323i had as much road noise as an Evo, it wouldn't sell. The interior in the Evo isn't meant to impress. I knew going into buying my SSL 8, that while it has leather Recaros, it isn't anywhere near the fit and finish of a BMW, but I didn't buy my Evo because the interior was nice. Lets face it, we all bought Evos because in stock for they are amazing at the track and with the support we get from Buschur, CBRD, AMS, STM, MAP, VRSF and so on, make the car even better.

My old VIII SSL @ 600whp was much quieter inside than the X MR Touring. I was satisfied with that, which is why you're probably satisfied with your car. My wife and I bought the MR Touring to get all of what made us fall in love with DSMs and the EVO VIII/IX, but also a little more refinement because frankly we aren't kids anymore. I'm sure you're just as passionate about the EVO/DSM as we have been in ownership for the last 14 years, but there's honestly no reason it can't be better for the price. Our old BMW doesn't have any better quality finish material, it's just quieter, and we like that. I'm not old enough to give up what the EVO is capable of to get the quiet just yet so basically I'm just the grumpy old man here
Old Apr 4, 2012, 06:18 PM

So I just dumped my stage 2 2010 GTI for a 2011 MR (had an 05 Audi S4 prior). The fit and finish of the interior is sub par to the VW, however, the performance, handling, and every other Mfing thing in the MR is far superior.

My wife was pissed at first when I brought the MR home. One 100 mile ride and she thinks it's amazing. I'll take the EVO any day of the week over a smoother plastic dash and nicer trim pieces.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What a weird dude.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a tool.

LOL, I didn't read 1 reply until after I posted and most of us had a similar response.

Last edited by CJ2X; Apr 4, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

I must be different because I don't understand who would by a car like an Evo and not want to hear/feel the road? You want quite, you get a Lexus. Every noise I hear from the road and every bump that sends my family jewels up into my stomach only confirms that buying the Evo was one the best decisions I ever made. As far as the interior, all that matters are the seats, wheel, pedals, and shifter. Other than that, who cares? Turn the radio off, open all the windows and drive the damn thing. I don't have the time nor inclination to be looking around the interior wondering why Mitsu used hard plastic or soft plastic.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

long story short: buy the Golf R if you want great all-round performance AND want comfort/quietness.

as for me, i really don't care about comfort/quietness. i want raw performance.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mistaken
What a weird dude.
He kind of seemed to be trying to imitate the long hair guy in everyday driver on YouTube.

BTW he said he could't reach the wheel but his elbows were bent. He could have pushed the seat back even more. Unless he wanted to drive like one of those goofy looking NASCAR drivers with his chest up against the wheel.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry for posting so much, I should have consolidated it into one. But too late. I'm an old man as well, at least in Evo years, 42, and there are two reasons I didn't get the MR, it wasn't a stick and it had the extra sound proofing. Once Mitsubishi starts producing the Evo for "everyone" everyone but those of us that own one now will want one. That concept NEVER fails to ruin a car for the enthusiast/purist. It may be good for business but bad for us. Some already say the Evo went downhill with the X. I have never driven other Evo's so I don't think so, but those that are saying it, say it because Mitsu is trying to attract a bigger market.

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:54 PM

My 2011 MR is amazing. But a Golf R is great car too. Best selling point is that it has 19/27 mpg compared to our Evos that have 17/22 mpg. It'll be handy once oil prices will shoot up in record breaking numbers this summer. I came from a rotary engine car though so I don't mind.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:46 AM

At the end, it doesn't matter if you like the interior or not. The fact that we are all here means that we either (a) like it or (b) can live with it.

As far as Mitsubishi's decision /wrt to the interior, they made a conscious choice to make it look/feel the way it does. They have probably spent millions researching the vehicle and came to the conclusion that this type of interior is the best combination of cost vs. appeal. They could have made it more "fancy" but the outcome would have been either higher cost to customers (us) or lower profit (them). ...and to be honest, I don't think they would have sold millions more Evos if the interior was "better" quality.
Car manufacturing is a super-tricky business and only the best survive. They constantly have to make compromises for each and every small part that makes up the car. Dollar saved per part can mean thousands (if not millions) in savings and possible higher profits. Be happy what you have as most likely some really smart people worked on it and made decisions which you live with today!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Volkswagen Golf R vs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR - Head 2 Head