Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Almost traded my Evo in, needed gut check

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a roof rack on my car and get compliments on it regularly. I also have the MR Touring = steel roof and sunroof
Old Oct 6, 2012, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I have a carbon bike that set me back a pretty penny, I just can't do it. Our main rack is a Thule T2, and it secures the bike by the tires, not the frame. I'll just keep pulling the wheel off.
guy i work with just bought a cannondale evo set him back 11k. I had no idea bikes could be that expensive
Old Oct 6, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not get a 10 year GTI with under 100k miles for $5-7k (they're out there), then put some simple all seasons on the Evo. Doesn't sound like you're actually using Nittos aside from wearing them down on the street.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:14 AM

I just traded my Evo X for a new 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line. It was a tough decision, as I really loved my X. But as the car got older (and so have I), it was starting to get difficult to live with as a DD. Plus the trade-in value made it a good time to pull the trigger.

The BMW is a great car in its own right, and I always had a thing for German engineering, so I am not looking back.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:51 AM

I've always had a trunk mounted bike rack. If your careful you'll be fine taking your bike
that way. Actually much easier to be careful with a trunk mount then trying to keep your
interior clean.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by bravo-x
I just traded my Evo X for a new 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line. It was a tough decision, as I really loved my X. But as the car got older (and so have I), it was starting to get difficult to live with as a DD. Plus the trade-in value made it a good time to pull the trigger.

The BMW is a great car in its own right, and I always had a thing for German engineering, so I am not looking back.
Why didn't you go with a 335? Just the money? I always though the 335 would be my next car.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

I have a carbon bike that set me back a pretty penny, I just can't do it. Our main rack is a Thule T2, and it secures the bike by the tires, not the frame. I'll just keep pulling the wheel off.
I think u exagerate with ur fear for the bike. A carbon body bike is very light. You won't have any problem with puting it on a trunk rack. get real man. Just try it. I was also affraid to put thr rack on my trunk. My diamondback is about 28 lbs and is still secure and safe on the trunk. The bike is ok back there. I put my whifes fuji together with mine and it still was ok, but i was afraid it would bend the aluminum in the trunk. Together both bikes wer a bit to heavy. A carbon bike would have no impact on ur trunk.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

a hatchback wrx would be a nice car for you to carry some stuff in if thats your concern, or you can go the extra mile and just get the sti wagon
Old Oct 6, 2012, 08:39 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, I think you should keep the Evo and make allowances for the bike. What's automotive enthusiasm without a little suffering?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by edIT
Why didn't you go with a 335? Just the money? I always though the 335 would be my next car.
Money was one of the factors... But the N20 engine makes plenty of power, gets amazing gas mileage, and is lighter and further back behind the wheels which makes a big difference in handling. All things considered the 328 seemed a much better option for me.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 09:08 AM

Kinda funny,

My name is Seth, I drive an evo, and I road bike a lot, and work in a bike shop while going to college!

Couple ideas for ya!

First off, I have learned to ride from my house as much as possible. May be harder in a big city, but it does make things simpler.

If you did want to go with a rack, as long as you get one that mounts only too your roof rails, which are steel, you will have no issues. I believe all of Yakima's racks are like this and i believe Thule makes on as well!

As for me I am making the Evo work as is! I love this car way to much..

Good luck!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Only because you keep coming back and you're X is set up the way you like it....

By a cheaper DD that meets your needs. Then keep that low mileage going with your X. So the days you're not going to do "bike stuff", you can rip in to work with the performance you enjoy.

I know the concept of owning a second vehicle might seem overwhelming, but your X is paid off, and you're thinking of spending just cash on a replacement. Sounds like financially you have your ducks in a row, and ultimately if you decided to come back to the Evo game it would cost more than the split-needs thing.

Plus you can get a DD that's an automatic so it's wife-friendly.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 09:22 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by cla2000
I think u exagerate with ur fear for the bike. A carbon body bike is very light. You won't have any problem with puting it on a trunk rack. get real man. Just try it. I was also affraid to put thr rack on my trunk. My diamondback is about 28 lbs and is still secure and safe on the trunk. The bike is ok back there. I put my whifes fuji together with mine and it still was ok, but i was afraid it would bend the aluminum in the trunk. Together both bikes wer a bit to heavy. A carbon bike would have no impact on ur trunk.
Lol at "get real man". Read a little closer. I have a 16 lb. Madone I don't want to scratch up with a crappy trunk rack that touches the frame. It has nothing to do with being heavy, it's being **** about my bike and car.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol at "get real man". Read a little closer. I have a 16 lb. Madone I don't want to scratch up with a crappy trunk rack that touches the frame. It has nothing to do with being heavy, it's being **** about my bike and car.
You have a Trek Madone? Man, am I ever jealous. I ride bikes and this is my dream bike. I have wanted one ever since Lance started using them in the Tour. Keep the Evo and ride the bike. Utility vehicles are nice, but you will greatly miss your Evo. I have a Giant lightweight road bike that fit perfectly in my old G35 when I took the front wheel off.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bravo-x

That's the new 328 with the I4-Turbo right?
(drove a loaner one, and really enjoyed it..even though it was auto)

Quick Reply: Almost traded my Evo in, needed gut check