Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Almost traded my Evo in, needed gut check

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Lol at "get real man". Read a little closer. I have a 16 lb. Madone I don't want to scratch up with a crappy trunk rack that touches the frame. It has nothing to do with being heavy, it's being **** about my bike and car.
Well I guess I cant understand the anality when it comes to a bike. Yes I know that some Madones can cost up to 5k but its still a bike. You will eventually scratch it if you do any serious riding. The thing is that the rack I have does not touch the bike other than the 2 points on the top bar where it grabs and locks on it. The pedal leans on the lower part of the rack. The top bar is held by 2 paded brackets. I take my mountain bike to the trails at list twice a week sometimes and I have yet to see a scratch on it from the rack. On the other hand it has plenty of scrtches from the 2 accidents I had so far in the woods.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but both the Yakima and Thule roof racks for the Lancer/Evo don't rest on the aluminum portion of the roof. The feet stand on the good ol' steel.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:45 PM

Just buy a beater for 3-4 grand and use that to haul stuff around.

I have a 98 Subaru Legacy wagon for the same reason... Although I think it's almost dead now... So I'm looking for an old truck.

Last edited by Turbofan; Oct 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cla2000
Well I guess I cant understand the anality when it comes to a bike. Yes I know that some Madones can cost up to 5k but its still a bike. You will eventually scratch it if you do any serious riding. The thing is that the rack I have does not touch the bike other than the 2 points on the top bar where it grabs and locks on it. The pedal leans on the lower part of the rack. The top bar is held by 2 paded brackets. I take my mountain bike to the trails at list twice a week sometimes and I have yet to see a scratch on it from the rack. On the other hand it has plenty of scrtches from the 2 accidents I had so far in the woods.
Dude, get real. The best Madone's during Lance's time at the Tour were 10k at my local bike shop. A Madone 7 is over 11k. So, your rather naive comment that it is just a bike rings hollow. These bikes at this level use aerospace/military level carbon fiber and construction. Anyone that has this much money in a bike is obviously interested in both riding and caring for it. Noize made it clear that he does not want the frame scratched. Inevitably, the bike will get some damage, but like a new car, one wants to keep it as pristine for as long as possible. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...done_7_series/

Having an Evo with aluminum roof and trunk makes it rather unique when it comes to carrying bikes. It is a hassle to take off the wheel and put it the back of the car. Noize is kind of at a crossroad because he has the Evo paid off, but needs the utility of a either a hatchback/truck/van/SUV for his bike. But, if I know a fellow Evo owner, he has high octane gasoline in his blood and would really miss his Evo.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Hey Samson! I don't have a wicked 7 series, just a little 4 series that serves me well as I'm pretty much a newb. Here it is:

2012 Trek Madone 4.6
SRAM Red- Black Edition GXP compact crankset
SRAM Rival DoubleTap, FD, RD
SRAM 1050 11-28 cassette
TRP R920 caliper set
Vuelta Corsa Superlite wheelset
Bontrager R4 tires
Look Keo Plus pedals

I love SRAM stuff, upgraded the Rival/Apex mix it came with to full Rival, but snuck a Red crankset and better brakes in there.

Thanks to others for the suggestions, but I'm not really looking to change cars anymore.

While I get that a roof rack won't contact the aluminum parts of the roof, I don't want to slip when mounting the bike and risk denting the roof. It's not just that, though, I've been a car guy way longer than a bike guy, and I think a roof rack on an Evo is just crappy. Why have a light aluminum roof and throw a big ugly rack on a performance car? Roof or trunk, I just can't do it! We have a Thule T2 hitch mount for the Outlander Sport, and the ease of installation and bike placement, stability, removal, and mechanical kindness it shows bikes is great. It's peerless, IMO.

To whoever said to get all season tires for the Evo, no way! All season tires just means they suck in all seasons. I had Star Specs before these crappy NT05s, and they were awesome. Way higher performance, quieter, more grip. The Nittos just suck.

Getting a third car isn't a matter of affording it. It's not wanting to mess with it, not wanting to take up the garage space than is clogged up with bikes, and not wanting to maintain and insure a third car. Shoot me! Two is enough.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

^ Now that is a bike! And for tires, I would wait until next spring and get the Dunlop Star Spec II's. Not sure if you have seen them yet, but they are supposed to be insane and a leap over the Spec I's.
http://squarespokes.com/04/news-dunl...able-in-japan/
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Whatever dude. As I said, each is entitled to his own opinion. 5k or 11k is still a lot of money for a bike that myself, would also want to keep in pristine condition if it were mine. I understand that. All I am trying to say is that using a well designed trunk rack is not a bad idea. But with that said to each his own. As far as I am concerned he can go ahead and sell the evo and get another car. I payed 1500 for my bike and to me that is a lot. I cared for it as good as I could. In the end it got scratched when I fell, and not while on the trunk rack. I don't understand why you guys think a hitch rack would be more safe.
This is a forum and we all contribute with our own ideas. Some of those ideas, work more or less for different people. When you call me naive for mistaking the price of an overpriced toy I will disagree with and tell you again that for most people 5000 for a bike is crazy and 11000 for a bike is also crazy. But than again I payed 38000 for a lancer and that is even crazier to 95% of the world population.
Noize, whatever you decide good luck, and, hopefully if you will be happy with your decision. Just make sure your next ride will accommodate your bike without the need of removing the front wheel. A gti could do that but you would have to fold the back seats.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:52 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
^ Now that is a bike! And for tires, I would wait until next spring and get the Dunlop Star Spec II's. Not sure if you have seen them yet, but they are supposed to be insane and a leap over the Spec I's.
http://squarespokes.com/04/news-dunl...able-in-japan/
A friend from this forum who must remain unnamed got to drive on those and early results were favorable. The one thing I like about the Pilot SS is they are available in 255/40/18. I get a little stretch with OEM tire size on these 9.5" RPF1s.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Whatever dude. As I said, each is entitled to his own opinion. 5k or 11k is still a lot of money for a bike that myself, would also want to keep in pristine condition if it were mine. I understand that. All I am trying to say is that using a well designed trunk rack is not a bad idea. But with that said to each his own. As far as I am concerned he can go ahead and sell the evo and get another car. I payed 1500 for my bike and to me that is a lot. I cared for it as good as I could. In the end it got scratched when I fell, and not while on the trunk rack. I don't understand why you guys think a hitch rack would be more safe.
This is a forum and we all contribute with our own ideas. Some of those ideas, work more or less for different people. When you call me naive for mistaking the price of an overpriced toy I will disagree with and tell you again that for most people 5000 for a bike is crazy and 11000 for a bike is also crazy. But than again I payed 38000 for a lancer and that is even crazier to 95% of the world population.
Noize, whatever you decide good luck, and, hopefully if you will be happy with your decision. Just make sure your next ride will accommodate your bike without the need of removing the front wheel. A gti could do that but you would have to fold the back seats.
Wait, you are from Minnesota and you did not go to Cars and Coffee today or the MitsuStyle cruise? Are you on EvoMN?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

I'm not sure if you aren't reading or just want to argue. I am not selling my car, I'm just gonna keep pulling kids seats out and removing the front wheel off the bike, it's not that big of a deal.

I also don't have anywhere near $5k in this bike. It's not some uber nice bike, it's one series above the entry level carbon, but I like it and want to take good care of it, just like I have tried to with my car.

I don't think you are naive, I just F'ing hate trunk racks, like you said to each his own. I tried a Saris Bones, which is supposed to be a great trunk rack that works with the Evo spoiler, and thought it was a pile of crap and returned it the next day. I'm spoiled by the Thule T2. If you don't know why it's way more safe, look it up online.

Take care.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I'm not sure if you aren't reading or just want to argue. I am not selling my car, I'm just gonna keep pulling kids seats out and removing the front wheel off the bike, it's not that big of a deal.

I also don't have anywhere near $5k in this bike. It's not some uber nice bike, it's one series above the entry level carbon, but I like it and want to take good care of it, just like I have tried to with my car.

I don't think you are naive, I just F'ing hate trunk racks, like you said to each his own. I tried a Saris Bones, which is supposed to be a great trunk rack that works with the Evo spoiler, and thought it was a pile of crap and returned it the next day. I'm spoiled by the Thule T2. If you don't know why it's way more safe, look it up online.

Take care.
Noize the first part of that post was adressed to Samson. He was the one that called me naive and corrected me on the price of the bike. According to him you payed 11k on that bike. And no, I don't want to argue at all. I was just trying to convince you not to sell the evo. I guess it worked...
Samson I am from Michigan, Detroit area. No coffee for me
Old Oct 6, 2012, 08:22 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
teach the wife to drive the evo
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:37 PM

I have this problem with my cars all the time... Luckily I have a daily so what I'll do is put the car in the garage and go a month without driving the car. After the month passes by drive it and see how you can fall in love with it again. Since this car is your daily I imagine it'd be harder to do something like that, but seeing your car being driven by some one else always help throw a spark to make you appreciate what you have.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Good thread.

I had sold my Evo and bought a fully loaded 2013 Sorento for the wife and kids, and I got an old 97 Jetta as my work car.
I miss it everyday, but hey family first.

Good thing is, I'll be stationed in Germany in April. Gunna pick me up a nice bimmer(m3 or 135i), or maybe get back in the Evo, we shall see!

Keep your evo! I saw some chick driving around my old car the other day....I was very depressed seeing it, haha.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mistaken
Not a bad idea. Get a better everyday car and have the evo for non biking days and spirited driving.
Probably the wisest idea...I sold my Evo8 back in 2009 (saddest day of my life), because my wife and I needed a car that we could both drive, and the family factor was important..

3 years later, I'm almost done paying off the RDX, so I'm considering the Evo again as the weekend car...it's sounds super snotty, but the Evo is a difficult car to justify for daily driving, it's almost unjust.

Quick Reply: Almost traded my Evo in, needed gut check