Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ets or k&n

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ets or k&n

trying to decide which intake to purchase... ETS cold air or K&N typhoon intake. the K&N is about a $100 more but is it really worth it... when installing are there any additional costs i should know of. and if you have either of these please give me a review thanks...
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Typhoon you can run without a tune...someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the ETS you need to get a tune to not harm your engine...the K&N also comes with a hotpipe and you can find it for cheaper than the ets...I got mine for 250 brand new...easy install great quality build...difference in spoolup is noticeable a few extra ponies don't hurt either...and you can really hear the turbo with it. Hope that helps..
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the K&N man, their reputation across the board is unmatched. However it is still recommend that you get a tune to fully optimize the intake system and to prevent any lean out conditions that "may" arise. Point being that anytime you change the MAF housing you need a retune.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
They *should* both be safe with the stock tune. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the K&N retain the stock MAF housing (I know ETS does)? I like K&N's heatshield design that utilizes the stock air intake snorkel.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:07 AM

Where did you purchase your intake? and how far is westerville from cincinnati. thats where im from.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

yeah Kracka it does and I wasn't sure about the ETS so now we got an answer for both lol, I agree on the design I really liked it overall even though it may not get the most power compared to others it seemed like a great middle ground...13EVOX Westerville is a suburb on the north side of Columbus
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:19 AM

What intake would you purchase regardless of price? The KN supposedly gains 20hp how much more can u get out of an intake?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

and I got the Intake from MAPerformance but the more I think about it 250 seems too low...I think it was something more like 300 which was a good price for it...I have seen it at about 300 a few other times...I think it hovers around 330 normally
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go with ETS. Their customer service and quality of construction and fitment has been nothing short of perfect. Can't comment on intakes though, just exhausts. I do have a K&N drop in filter that I really like
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 13EVOX
What intake would you purchase regardless of price? The KN supposedly gains 20hp how much more can u get out of an intake?
I was torn between the Agency Power one and the K&N b/c of the intake design using the factory snorkel..there are a few of them out there that have similar designs but after doing a lot of reading I never seemed to see any negatives to the Typhoon and I found a good price so I decided to go with it
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

ETS for sure.

When it comes to parts I wouldn't choose anything over AMS, ETS,, TOMEI and brands like that if you can afford them. ETS's quality and customer service is honestly unmatched and you will have the piece of mind of having a great part. I personally don't like K&N at all, from their air filters to intakes. It almost seems like they use the same exact design intake for the million cars they make products for and don't make any research behind it. I uses to have an rx8 and the car comes with a CAI from factory and K&N just made an SRI for the car...
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

K&N actually R&D's all their parts on a Dynojet for both power gains and safe AFR levels.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Doesn't the K&N intake include an UICP? Some of the gains are probably coming from that too.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:54 AM

The ETS im finding for 271 and the kn 359. but i cant tell if the ets comes with all the same components. looks like kn has an intake and a pipe to the intercooler? does the ets have that
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

ETS intake kit is filter, intake pipe, and heatshield.
K&N intake kit is all of the above plus an UICP.

P.S. Cosworth's intake is K&N's with a polished pipe instead of red, and a blue air filter instead of red.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Ets or k&n