Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could use some advice

apologies in advance for the long post sorryyyyyy

I'll try and shorten it a bit. So story is basically this.
I had clutch replaced at Mid-Toronto Mitsubishi dealership. Few days later, had some issues. 4WD light came on, ASC light came on, and the setting the diff was in would occasionally flash (didn't matter which mode, tarmac gravel or snow). Also could smell some sort of fluid burning.
I've attached pictures of the aforementioned lights that came on.
Lights would disapear whenever car was turned off.

So, took it back, they examined and hooked up to diagnostic, said nothing was wrong and to continue monitoring the problem.
Lights come back on again, but this time I went back to the dealership where I purchased the car, Brampton Mitsubishi, and they list a whole list of problems the car has as a direct result of the repairs done by Mid-Toronto dealership. Said it was a terrible job. Worst they'd ever seen

This is what they claimed in the report they printed up for me:
1) one of the mount for the engines was not bolted back on
2) bolt for the engine mount was sliding around underneath the car and ended up getting stuck underneath a sway bar
3) rear diff was not bled correctly (or at all)
4) as a result of not being bled correctly, air had entered into the pump system for the AWC fluid(the one in the trunk) and was causing problems
5) the diff fluid was not topped off correctly causing problems with the AWC
6) general lack of tightening of bolts around transfer case/center diff, many of them were loose
They say to go back to Mid Toronto because they cannot fix these problems free of cost only Mid Toronto can.
OK, phew, done with their claims.

So, now utterly pissed off, I go back to the Mid-Toronto dealer and flip out on them, service manager brings in the master tech who worked on my car, and they claim this:
1) for replacing a clutch on an evo the rear diff does not to be touched, so 3 and 4 of what the other dealer claimed was incorrect
2) fluid levels were fine, and that they only drop to below the marked fill lines is when the pump system is running, because fluid is sucked into the system/pipes. they say that this is in fact normal and it should not be between the lines when the system is running (they did a pump system test using their diagnostic)
3) the claims about stuff being loose was bull
4) they admitted effing up on the engine mount bolt

ugh

so I'm sitting in the service manager's office, listening to him and the master tech on the phone shouting at the service manager of the other dealership, and they're all arguing over the correct procedures for replacing a clutch on an evo. (who at mitsu canada is hiring these clowns?!?!?!? seriously?!??!?!)

so, please, if anyone has any knowledge of mitsubishi mechanical stuff, can you please shine some light on this. I am utterly confused and stuck between two dealers fighting and my baby is still not healthy (((

just wanna know which dealer is correct, im leaning towards mid toronto being correct because my buddy is a bmw tech and he says it makes no sense to bleed rear diff for clutch. but then again, the problems happened after they fixed it, and they effed up pretty bad forgetting to mount the bolt for the FREAKING ENGINE
so i really have no clue who to trust or what to do gahhhh

thx guys for any help really appreciated really stressed after today being lied to by all these *** hats
Attached Thumbnails Could use some advice-img_3121.jpg   Could use some advice-img_3122.jpg   Could use some advice-img_3123.jpg  
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:36 PM

might as well post the pics of the fluid levels give you guys more info

the one that shows the bottle more full is before the diagnostic machine ran the pump system test, the pic that shows it more empty is during the test
Attached Thumbnails Could use some advice-img_3115.jpg   Could use some advice-img_3119.jpg  
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:08 PM

If they removed the transfer case for the clutch install and didn't bleed the awc pump then mid Toronto screwed up and it is there fault. The ayc pump pumps fluid to both the acd in the transfer case and te rear diff so if air gets in the line then it could in turn affect your rear diff. I would believe the dealer that you originally bought it from, mid Toronto just wants to cover there tracks so they don't get hit with a big bill for there screw up.

Last edited by zelskeet; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I have no idea but I know the fluid in that resovior does gown like in the picture while the car is running a warm.. After a while it goes back up..

Also, with what ^^ said, again I have no idea, but I didn't know AYC in the back had anything to do with the T-case. Either way, sound like both dealerships are clueless..
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:55 PM

Here's the diagram for the pump.