Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Second hand Evo X 08 MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second hand Evo X 08 MR

Hey guys,

I've been looking at buying evolutions lately and have been undecided so far. Started with evo 8's around $25000, then up to evo IX at around $35000. Now im looking to go for an evo X 2008 MR. Its got 48XXX kms on it and asking price of $44000 drive away. Very good condition inside and out. I'd rather pay the extra money to get a car that will last than to buy an 8 or 9 and have it break on me.

Would like to hear your thoughts about Evo X's. It has the new twin clutch transmission with paddle shifts. And I don't mind it being auto before you ask!

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 04:24 AM

Where are you from? I'm on the mobile site so I can't see. Reason I ask is because the prices listed are very high. ESPECIALLY for used.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Consistent with the above, you might remind folks that an Australian dollar is about 90 US cents, because most Americans will assume that you're talking US money. That's just how we roll.

The other issue is what you plan to do with the car. The general consensus is that Xs are better daily drivers (for creature-comfort reasons, mostly), while 8.5s and 9s are the best cars to modify for most forms of racing. Unfortunately, there are two problems with what I just wrote. First, while I might be correct that it reflects the "general consensus," the people who disagree are quite vociferous, such that I just derailed your thread by starting an argument. Second, the drivetrains in non-USDM Evos are different from what Americans were offered, so my mention of 8.5s, for example, might be highly misleading, and the differences between a non-USDM 9s and Xs aren't the same as what I'm used to, since some non-USDM 9s have AYC, for example.

tl;dr - ignore me because I'm just causing trouble
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:50 PM

I'm from Australia. They are all definitely overpriced but I have always wanted one. I plan on it being a daily driver and a bit of fun. If I do mod it, it will be very subtle. I need it to last.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

The gsr has 5 speed manual and the mr has 6 speed twin clutch i believe. Well in the evo x models. The previous model had manual in the mr. Personally I like the 9 the best but if it came down to it i'd rather have the 10.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:46 AM

i just picked up a 2011 mr with 22000 miles for 32
Old Aug 26, 2013, 01:39 PM

I have yet to regret buying a x. I looked at viii's ix's and x's for a long time before I made my decision. Having owned a 2006 ralliart and a 2010 lancer gts the x appealed to me more because it would be more similar to the gts as far as features go. If you're looking for a more refined, somewhat more luxurious experience go with the x, if you want to go faster go with the ix. I avoid viii's if you want something that is going to last you a long time just because of the age of them and the way a lot of them get abused anymore.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 01:56 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

I've owned both the X and IX and honestly it boils down to what your plans for the car are.

Track Time/Auto-X: Evo 8/9 although it's still viable with a 10.
DD/Aggressive Street: Evo 10

The X is an all around more comfortable car to drive on a day-to-day basis. Then again that depends on your tolerance levels.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sev
I've owned both the X and IX and honestly it boils down to what your plans for the car are.

Track Time/Auto-X: Evo 8/9 although it's still viable with a 10.
DD/Aggressive Street: Evo 10

The X is an all around more comfortable car to drive on a day-to-day basis. Then again that depends on your tolerance levels.
Well said, I would also add that parts will also be cheaper for the evo 8/9 since it's older.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:54 PM

Thanks guys. All good information. I really do like the X's at the moment. The only bad thing is being in Australia I seem to pay alot more for any car!

Also, I heard that Modding the evo X's MR with the twin clutch sports shift transmission isn't as easy as others. It doesn't handle it as well? I'm not too sure. Anyone clarify if this is true?

Last edited by Bradym; Aug 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bradym
Thanks guys. All good information. I really do like the X's at the moment. The only bad thing is being in Australia I seem to pay alot more for any car!

Also, I heard that Modding the evo X's MR with the twin clutch sports shift transmission isn't as easy as others. It doesn't handle it as well? I'm not too sure. Anyone clarify if this is true?
The SST handles basic boltons well. If you are looking for high hp gains you will need to upgrade the transmission.