Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AMS STX300 vs. COBB OTS review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS STX300 vs. COBB OTS review

Just got back from a long night of datalogging and several sessions of runs in my stock '14 MR. Took time to let the car cool and be back to 'neutral' to avoid heat-soak and other power-stealers.

COBB ACN91 Stage 1 map- The car had an admittedly fun dr. jekyl and mr. hyde feel to it. The powerband definitely didnt feel linear and was almost addictive to be able to stomp on it and count 3..2...BOOST. I didn't have any knocksum or terribly fluctuating boost numbers either, so it would seem they've managed to fine-tune out that little snippit with this latest revision. However, while my peak boost numbers stayed within their claimed range (23.5 +/- 1.5) there was one nagging issue.. the SST didnt want to shift till the engine was bouncing off the rev limiter.. I would pull the shift paddle at 7k rpms, and almost no matter what, unless i took my foot off the accelerator, she would continue up to 7700 before she would shift.

AMS STX300 map- The car had a smooth and linear powerband all the way to redline. AMS's tweaking of the SST really shined and the car did what I told it to do. It wasnt as fun as the COBB tune acceleration wise, but the fact the car was overall more responsive with regards to throttle and shifting, makes it the winner for me. The AMS tune wakes the car up, but in a more reserved (see: safe) manner. Not that the car cant handle it, but I cant imagine bouncing off the limiter before it would decide to shift isnt a good thing..

Final thoughts for now: Ill probably stick to the AMS tune so I can have my jollies and not feel like im doing this every time I want the car to shift

Oh, one side note i should mention- with the COBB OTS tune, my car would actually accelerate HARD in 4th and 5th on the highway. Boost came on hard and fast, whereas with the AMS tune, she felt more lazy. Again, shifting issue aside, id probably prefer the COBB tune for the feeling of getting punched in the gut, but the AMS tune is much more linear and predictable for someone who wants to wring the cars neck.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

This may be a wrinkle they need to iron out with the 14's. I used the Cobb OTS stage 1 on my 2013 MR and didnt have any issues with it shifting...shifted at 7k every time.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Its not really fair to say one is safer than the other just based on perceived performance without wideband datalogging. You mentioned datalogging in your first post, do you have a wideband and if so was the cobb running significantly leaner?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mag00n
Its not really fair to say one is safer than the other just based on perceived performance without wideband datalogging. You mentioned datalogging in your first post, do you have a wideband and if so was the cobb running significantly leaner?
I am running the Cobb Stage 3 OTS map now and my AFRs are right at 11.5 at WOT.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:09 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the Cobb OTS shifting for the MR is a disaster and I think they just gave up on it. They made a bunch of promises in their forums, then didn't come through, then released a beta that screwed all our cars up, then released another one that fixed it, then the "final" release screwed it up again, they promised another fix, and instead, just deleted their entire forum
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

What problems have you guys had with the shifting? I havent noticed any problems whatsoever with mine.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:29 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MRak
What problems have you guys had with the shifting? I havent noticed any problems whatsoever with mine.
I'm comparing it with my Cobb tune from another tuner. I still use Cobb hardware, I just hate their 2013 maps. I've ran their stuff since 2008. However, I am about to give up since every firmware update seems to cause some sort of problem
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:06 PM

Have not tried the AMS tune, but my GSR is running stage 2 with no issues should be noted that I am using non Cobb parts and so my car my be dealing with the tune differently than it would if I was using Cobb hardware.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a 2015 MR with the cobb stage 1 + chff ACN91 map. Feels on point with what the OP mentioned. didn't feel linear, boost comes on hard and fast. I do get 1-2 knock count regularly and 3-4 knock occasionally. I've heard this COULD be just phantom knocks because SF streets are really REALLY bad. I'm running the newest tune they have out.

Only aftermarket parts I run are AMS UICP, cobb turbo inlet, and cosworth panel filter.

Last edited by haxr303; Sep 3, 2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 01:37 AM

Niiiice