Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New to Evos. Overboosting Issue!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here a pic of where ill run it from
Attached Thumbnails New to Evos. Overboosting Issue!-image-2584916166.jpg  
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Teamlacalle
Here a pic of where ill run it from
yupp, take a new hose and go straight from that nipple to the wastegate. then we will see if it still over boosts
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:18 AM

same result. boost reaching over 30-35psi and asc light and whatnot.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:23 AM

scratch that the vacuum hose that i used i had laying around split on me. let me find a new piece and retry
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

really?! wow even when you bypass the boost control it still over boosts... hmmmm, maybe your wastegate actuator is broken or flapper stuck closed... can somone chime in on that???
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:35 AM

ok boost peaking around 11ps when hooked up that way with a new vacuum line, so is that a good thing lol? now hopefully that will narrow this issue down a little.

Last edited by Teamlacalle; Oct 25, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Teamlacalle
ok boost peaking around 11ps when hooked up that way with a new vacuum line
alright, so that tells us your wastegate is fine. since you said the vacuum lines where right earlier its not that. so now its ether in your tune, or your boost control solenoid is not functioning properly.

so you could buy a Manual Boost Controller. then you'll have one, and i think itll fix your issue. and the plus side is, you physically control your boost, not a an electronic device that can have issues like this haha

or you could go to a tuner and have them see if they can still control boost with the OEM solenoid and maybe fix your problem.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:22 AM

Well thats good news! Solenoids don't seem too expensive as well as manual boost controllers. Any suggestions on if i should go factory solenoids or aftermarket? Also which boost controller would be good for me? I know a lot use 3 port controllers but looks like to run that i would have to have a tune when installed. Im planning on doing more mods like ic piping and whatnot but for the time being until i have most parts what do you suggest? Thank you for all the input been extremely helpful!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

I would get a grimmspeed or GM boost solenoid.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

+1^
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

the 1st post was a little broad about the 1st time "today" getting on it, was that the 1st time EVER getting on it? even on the test drive? because if it boosted good in the past, and it started the day you originally posted, then we can go ahead and say its your boost control solenoid
Old Oct 30, 2013, 04:51 PM

Yeah it was the first time I ever went wot. So idk how long it's been like that. Previous owner claims he knows nothing about it doing that so. I didn't really get on it too hard when I test drove so I didn't know of the issue until a couple days after purchase.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

yea so since the wga is obviously not stuck or anything, what i would do is buy an aftermarket 3 port ebcs like the grimmspeed, then get a tune by a reputable tuner. that way you can knock out any chances of a bad tune by the previous owner, and you will be able to hold more boost up top and just overall better control of the entire boost curve with the 3 port. i mean its some extra money but in my opinion its worth it just knowing you have a safe tune, let alone better power. no more WOT until then though
Old Oct 30, 2013, 05:19 PM

Yeah I been taking it easy. I just picked up a Manual boost controller from a buddy that he had laying around from a previous car so I'm gonna test that out soon. I would like to hear opinions on my build route tho. I am planning on do some bold ins such as intercooler and piping, down pipe and a few more basic bolt ons as well as a clutch. Until I have the funds to do all of those would a MBC and a Cobb ap do the trick to get me by until I have all mods that I want and then get protune? I know when I get protune ill get grim speed 3port but until then would the Cobb be a decent choice? Or etune? Just looking for some suggestions
Old Oct 31, 2013, 03:17 PM

Update. I installed a manual boost controller. I disconnected the hoses off of the turbo outlet nipple that was located on the elbow connected to the turbo and the wastegate. Plugged those off and put a line from that nipple to the MBC and then to the wastegate. No cel and adjusted for about 21 psi tapering around 16 at redline. Much smoother acceleration and no overboosting like before. Big thank you to all who chimed in and help me resolve the issue.

Quick Reply: New to Evos. Overboosting Issue!