Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Possibly purchasing an Evo, looking for information on its current/past mods

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly purchasing an Evo, looking for information on its current/past mods

I've been looking for a WW evo for a while, and I finally found one within a relatively close distance to me. It appears to have been modded, and I am looking for some information on the mods that it may have or did once have. I have not yet seen the car in person, so I cannot comment on whether or not it feels like stock parts were put back on (bolts missing and what-not).

I would much rather have a stock car, but I am fine with a modded car if the parts are quality and the work was done right. I have been looking for a few months and this is the closest thing that has popped up. This car appears to have a hotpipe (SpeedCircuit?) and to have possibly had an exhaust of some sort (stock exhaust appears to be back on, but isn't hung evenly).

I have included pictures below, and I would appreciate any and all comments or advice.

Last edited by miner_andy; Jul 6, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:03 PM

UICP is not stock. Looks like ETS piece to me.

Rear bumper reflectors are either removed or covered with WW piece?

Side vents missing?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:49 PM

+1 ets piping. Mayb even looks lowered or could just be the picture. Dont see much stock wheel gap up front
Old Jul 6, 2014, 01:07 PM

looks like a mostly stock car, completely stock is getting harder and harder to find, good luck and enjoy!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
its missing the cover that goes on top of the valve cover.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't the left foglight space supposed to be covered? It looks like it was opened and taken out? Possible after market intercooler? It's hard to tell because I only see something silver or white in that area.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by boostedadiction
looks like a mostly stock car, completely stock is getting harder and harder to find, good luck and enjoy!
Thanks, I am mostly worried about getting a car that was previously highly modified and slopped back to stock at the last minute. The missing engine cover and the uneven exhaust make me apprehensive of that. I am fine with modifications if done right, because, as you said, unmolested evo xs, particularly gsrs, are becoming hard to find.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

That is probably an ETS UICP. The inside of the coupler is orange on the ETS stuff. It also looks to be on lowering springs.

Originally Posted by R Lar
Isn't the left foglight space supposed to be covered? It looks like it was opened and taken out? Possible after market intercooler? It's hard to tell because I only see something silver or white in that area.
They replaced the fake plastic mesh cover with the MR real mesh and now you can see the LICP behind it.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Best to see it in person and use your best judgement. I would say meeting the owner is the best way to get an idea of the car itself but it looks like it's at a dealer. You can kind of get an idea about a car by the owners personality. Not 100% but it's something. Look it over, test drive it, if it runs well and the price is right, go with your gut feeling. It's correct more often than you think.

A car that was modded and put back to stock doesn't mean it's a bad car. The previous owner probably realized he could get more by selling some parts off the car.

I also don't believe every Evo is beat on. It's kind of ironic I read on the forums a lot of people say buying used is risky because people really beat on these cars. Then there are 50 other posts about the best oil and how we change it every week. Lol are we **** or do we beat them up?

I'm sure some are but I would think a large percentage of them will show it by their appearance. If the body or interior are in perfect condition, they were probably, not 100%, but probably one of the **** ones.