Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Boost leak, vacuum leak or bad turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boost leak, vacuum leak or bad turbo?

Hey guys, the past two weeks ive been encountering an issue when I go into boost. When I go wot, it doesn't spool like it used to. It doesn't pull as hard, and it makes a whine sound and then when I shift or something the BOV sounds like it is a VTA Tial q or kind of like the HKS bov. It is a forge recirculated BOV and I got tuned in May and have had no issues until a few weeks ago.

At about half-throttle, going through the rpms the turbo is like stuttering, fluttering, whatever you want to call it. and then when I go WOT from there, it does the same thing as I said above.

My AFRs are spot on, there is no smoke blowing out of my exhaust indicating my turbo is shot. I checked the vacuum line from the bov and no holes or anything. One of my friends went on a ride for me and said he thinks it is a vacuum leak, or the diaphram in my BOV is going bad. But like I said the vacuum line is fine..

Anyone ever have this issue? I have a boost gauge at my house that I need to install but I don't think that would really help me find the issue?

Let me know what you guys think. thanks
Old Aug 7, 2015, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A boost gauge would help, you would know if you had a boost leak. I must say tho, when i go WOT my turbo sounds like a supercharger with a WHOOOOOOOOO sound (not the intake) and when i shift it sounds like i have a tial too, kinda like supras that push 50psi lol. Part throttle i get the fluttering too. I know my car is good, maybe you are being paranoid (aren't we all?). My turbo doesn't always make the Whooo sound, only when the temps are cold.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luminox
A boost gauge would help, you would know if you had a boost leak. I must say tho, when i go WOT my turbo sounds like a supercharger with a WHOOOOOOOOO sound (not the intake) and when i shift it sounds like i have a tial too, kinda like supras that push 50psi lol. Part throttle i get the fluttering too. I know my car is good, maybe you are being paranoid (aren't we all?). My turbo doesn't always make the Whooo sound, only when the temps are cold.
yeah im planning on hooking it up this weekend hopefully.

But its weird because this hasn't been happening until a few weeks ago. Like I said I got tuned in may and had no issues until a couple weeks ago which is when that stuff started. Plus when I go WOT it just doesn't pull as hard now as it did a month ago when this wasn't going on so I don't think it is me being paranoid. Im gonna ask my tuner to take a look at it, itll have to wait till next week since hes going to the shootout this weekend. and I make sure everything is warm and up to good temps before I go WOT I even try to stay out of boost until its been on for like 10 min or so
Old Feb 9, 2017, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you find out what the problem was?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 06:52 PM

mine is doing almost this exactly! Except I am getting trouble codes and idling at 2000+ rpm :/
Old Mar 16, 2017, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think mines may be a bad wg actuator. Got my boost leaks to a minimum except maybe some from my new tb. Haven't done another test since I've put it in last week. But I maxed my actuator rod and now I'm seeing some boost for the first time on my arashi turbo.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 06:48 AM

Check the Forge unit, they need to be serviced occasionally, it can be taken apart and lubed. Try that.