Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Could an Exhaust Leak cause...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could an Exhaust Leak cause...

So backstory:

Did a bunch of installs at the sametime ( ETS Test Pipe/ ETS Extreme/ETS Intake/ Cobb EBCS). Prior to installing I was tuned to 25 PSI. Double checking my logs which were taken a couple of weeks prior to the install I saw that it was indeed reaching 25ish PSI.

I took a look at my logs post install, and I can't break 12 PSI. Okay so this morning I started looking up stuff for a boost leak test and how to make the tester, but then I just wanted to know if these two things are related:

The other issue I had was an exhaust leak. The leak is between the stock downpipe and the test pipe (completely my fault, I only put the adapter in between thinking that's all I needed. I found the OEM gasket, but ordered a vibrant gasket so that should be situated tomorrow.

but yeah.. comparing the two logs (the pre and the post install logs) the Load to PSI is about the same. It's just post install the Load goes nowhere near as high. Just trying to figure out if the exhaust leak could be installing everything, or if I do in fact have both an exhaust leak and a boost leak.

When I get to 0+ PSI I do start to hear air but I assumed it was the intake sucking air. It sounds retarded loud, but since it only happens at 0+ PSI i see how it could be a leak.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think your car knows what to do with all that extra air and is protecting itself until it makes you get a tune.

I don't think it's a good idea to run an EBCS / CAI without a tune, the test pipe should be 'ok' but not ideal.

Others with more knowledge can chime in, but to me, when you change that much on a turbo car, drive it like a wussy until you tune it then go from there.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I don't think your car knows what to do with all that extra air and is protecting itself until it makes you get a tune.

I don't think it's a good idea to run an EBCS / CAI without a tune, the test pipe should be 'ok' but not ideal.

Others with more knowledge can chime in, but to me, when you change that much on a turbo car, drive it like a wussy until you tune it then go from there.
Oh I know, you're definitely right. The CAI is doable without a tune, but the EBCS I definitely wouldn't. I have a new base tune which will be dialed in, but I gotta resolve this boost leak issue, where ever it's coming from. I tried tightening everything up and drove it to test if I got it unfortunately not.

I already went ahead and ordered the missing gasket I need an put next day delivery so it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll patch up the exhaust leak with that. As for the boost leak, honestly I gave up. Called "The Shop CT" and have an appointment on Monday. I thought about just making a tester myself but called to find out how much it would cost to get done and it's pretty cheap.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

I would be very surprised if an exhaust leak would result in reduced boost. You have a leak somewhere else, or, to the other comment, the other mods are such that the car is protecting itself by racheting down the boost. Just go to a shop, have them check your installs and then tune the car.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
I would be very surprised if an exhaust leak would result in reduced boost. You have a leak somewhere else, or, to the other comment, the other mods are such that the car is protecting itself by racheting down the boost. Just go to a shop, have them check your installs and then tune the car.
Yeah I doubt it, since I can audibly hear it (assuming that it's not the intake that I'm hearing). Just wasn't sure if it was a possibility. Think it was just myself hoping that I was wrong and it was indeed a possibility, but whatever I'm content now knowing it was nowhere near as expensive as I thought it was going to be.

I appreciate both your replies though, thanks.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Did you install the heat shield on the intake?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chances are you have the vacuum lines going from the EBCS to the turbo switch around. With no tune she will over boost and could damage the motor! Looks like your running on wastegate pressure.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcb213
Did you install the heat shield on the intake?
Yes, I did. Don't have that crazy idle I read about from people who don't install the heatshield.

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
Chances are you have the vacuum lines going from the EBCS to the turbo switch around. With no tune she will over boost and could damage the motor! Looks like your running on wastegate pressure.
Give me like 5m I'll sketch out how I have it hooked up. If this is it I'm going to hit myself.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

scratch the pic I love you. bout to go make the switch right now.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gh3ttoRoM3o
scratch the pic I love you. bout to go make the switch right now.
No worries but please be careful. She will overboost!!!!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

No worries but please be careful. She will overboost!!!!
Definitely read this late, but I went out to test it and took it to 25 PSI before backing off. Feels like a whole new car.

Just for clarification like I mentioned in a previous post I did get a new etune. I got a new basemap for my current configuration and I'm running off that. I'm not using the same tune from before I installed everything. That'd be crazy >_< lol. Though I don't blame you for assuming that after hearing how retarded I was with the EBCS -.-
Old Oct 6, 2015, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Glad to see your enjoying your new found power again! I know how it feels when things don't work out.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
This is why I love the evo community here! ^ @spazpilot, you da man!