Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Seeking feedback for a story on the Evo X...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking feedback for a story on the Evo X...

I'm Editor-in-Chief of AutoWeb/Autobytel. As a result, I am currently spending a week with a 2015 Mitsubishi Evo Final Edition for an upcoming story.

Rather than write it as a simple review (with only my perspective), I'd like to hear from owners what they really like about their Evo X models. I am trying to make my story interesting, focusing on what makes the Evo so special.

If you have a moment, please let me know why you chose the Evo X over its competitors (and what other cars you considered), what do you like best about it, and what you like least. I'm also interested in your feelings about the vehicle being discontinued... and what you would like to say to Mitsubishi (they will be reading the story).

Feel free to post in this thread, or send me a PM.

Thanks!

- Mike
Old Dec 12, 2015, 07:54 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Been running due to weekend. Will try to put something together soon.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
IMO it's the best car in the world. NO OTHER car can do what a Evo can. Name me another car that is practical, affordable, a good daily driver, can be a awesome auto-X car, road course car, time attack car, rally car, or drag car. It's fun to drive, cheap to mod, and easy to work on. People will always notice it whether they love it or hate it. It came so well prepped from the factory. Brembos brakes, recaro seats (except 2015), bilstein shocks, BBS/Enkei wheels. It had it all. As a daily driver its an absolute blast and there's nothing else quite like it on the road.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't have an Evo X. But I suspect what Mister Editor is looking for is something different from what has already been parroted ad nauseam ad infinitum about its all-round usability and practicality, because that really is what the Evolution is.

Racing drivers have rated it, magazine writers have written volumes on it, owners and ex-owners waxed lyrical about it, but what about that personal connection? Sort of like this, Jeremy Clarkson describing his special connection with the 928 he was reviewing:

It was about the speed, to be sure, but there was that personal touch to what that speed meant.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
Been running due to weekend. Will try to put something together soon.
Thanks, Noize!

- Mike
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
IMO it's the best car in the world. NO OTHER car can do what a Evo can. Name me another car that is practical, affordable, a good daily driver, can be a awesome auto-X car, road course car, time attack car, rally car, or drag car. It's fun to drive, cheap to mod, and easy to work on. People will always notice it whether they love it or hate it. It came so well prepped from the factory. Brembos brakes, recaro seats (except 2015), bilstein shocks, BBS/Enkei wheels. It had it all. As a daily driver its an absolute blast and there's nothing else quite like it on the road.
e_kobz, I'm feeling your passion. Most apparent is how easy the Evo is to modify (looking at your sig), and how it is the true multi-role fighter in the sports car arsenal.

It's a shame that my press car doesn't have the Recaro seats.

- Mike
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by cleong
I don't have an Evo X. But I suspect what Mister Editor is looking for is something different from what has already been parroted ad nauseam ad infinitum about its all-round usability and practicality, because that really is what the Evolution is.
Thanks, cleong,

I'm trying to explain why owners are so loyal to the Evo.

How would owners explain their car to someone who doesn't understand the lineage of the Evo? What makes it special in an automotive environment obsessed with luxury and technological innovation?

- Mike
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I come from AMG's and M's. This is my first Japanese car. I have owned a lot of cars all of which made good stock horsepower. I bought the Evo because I always loved the look, and the idea of it..a 4 banger turbo..all wheel drive. It is cheap, fun, and fast. Let me give it a go. the interior is a joke. The car has very few features. But I guess thats what $35k~ gets you. What I expected was for this to be an impulse toy buy that lasted 3 months like other cars I bought and didn't enjoy. What happened is what I didn't expect..I like how it drives.. a lot.There is a pleasure to it. Not in traffic or around town because its notchy shifter and semi-clunky transmission feel at low speeds. But when I get to exercise its legs a little bit..there is something really great. Its a throwback car. It feels old school in the way that it feels like three pedals, a shifter, and steering wheel. There doesn't feel like a million computers running it or miles of cushion and sound deadening. It feels like a drivetrain, an ugly but so beautiful body, and not much else. Its a windows open, "no no, let me go buy the bread and milk..I really want to", radios off..fun car. Jack of all trades. Its not the fastest in stock form..but it is damn fun. Fun factor is what the Evo excels at.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The thing I love about the evo is that it makes me feel like a 19 year old driving a race car. The thing I hate about it is feeling like a 19 year old driving a race car at 35. This car has a level of immaturity that catches the attention of everyone, including police and it's a comical attention. I went from a 911 to an evo. I bought it because I drove about 20 other cars and not one of them made me feel like I was driving a connected car to the road. I drove the evo last and bought it. I had to have one of the last Mohicans.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryEvo
The thing I love about the evo is that it makes me feel like a 19 year old driving a race car. The thing I hate about it is feeling like a 19 year old driving a race car at 35. This car has a level of immaturity that catches the attention of everyone, including police and it's a comical attention. I went from a 911 to an evo. I bought it because I drove about 20 other cars and not one of them made me feel like I was driving a connected car to the road. I drove the evo last and bought it. I had to have one of the last Mohicans.
I have been pulled over because I did not display a license plate on the front of my Evo. The plate is mounted right where it is supposed to be, they just claim they didn't see it because it is not centered like most cars. Unbelievable.

Good point. I jumped to buy one because it was the last year of them.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:51 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
At 42 years young, my criteria for a car has always been the same: I drive what I like, and I like performance cars that can go as fast around corners as they accelerate in a straight line. I could care less what other people think of my automotive choice. I've had five Evos over the past twelve years. I bought my current 2013 X new, and it is here to stay since they won't be making them anymore.

To answer your question, what makes the Evo so special to me is its relentless focus as a true performance car. It is an unapologetic scalpel with one purpose: To get you from point A to point B as quickly as possible. The fact that it's ridiculously overbuilt with the headroom to drastically increase horsepower while maintaining a high degree of reliability only increases the allure.

The yaw control component of the AWD system cuts understeer and makes the car much more neutral and exciting than its competition. Even the upcoming eight-year-newer-tech Ford Focus RS doesn't have as quite of an impressive component list- The Ford has an open front differential and a preset power limitation to the rear wheels.

The Evo X can accommodate 265/35/18 tires on 9.5" wide wheels with no fender modifications, moving it from the grip monster it already is to something beyond ridiculous.

The suspension is unapologetically stiff, like a proper performance car should be.

The engine makes 291hp in stock trim, around 400hp with external breather mods and tuning, and substantially more with a bolt-on turbo upgrade with mild cams.

If you mix all those things in a blender, you have the recipe for a car that can manage 500HP and beyond with the traction, grip, forward thrust, and corner exit speeds that high powered rear wheel drive V8s can only dream of.

It's a little unfortunate in my eyes that the US spec 2015 and Final Edition don't have Recaros. That really harms that aforementioned cohesiveness somewhat, because it's nice to have seats that will hold you in place when approaching the limits of an Evo, especially when modified.

While not as fast as a GTR, it's a third of the cost, easier to maintain, and light years more practical. There's nothing quite like it in the marketplace, as car manufacturers are forced to kowtow to CAFE standards and are cheaping out on things like braking based "differentials" and braking based "torque transfer systems". I'm happy the Evo's ride into the sunset is undimmed by that crap.

I understand that Mitsubishi doesn't have money to develop another generation, and it's a shame, because they have an asinine amount of quality engineering to make a true performance car. This formula, this engine, in a slightly stiffer and smaller new chassis that weighs 300 lbs less would easily continue destroying the competition and be a great sales proposition for them for years to come.

Slightly off topic, there's been a lot of infighting over the years about which Evo in the US has been the best, but I maintain they're all fantastic. I was lucky enough to get to drive an Evo VI Tommi Makinen Edition for a generational comparison site article a few years ago, here: https://www.evolutionm.net/articles/...year-old-icon/

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Seth
Old Dec 13, 2015, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
^^^ love this response. Agree with all of it
Old Dec 13, 2015, 06:51 PM

I am always scratching my head after reading remarks by so called professional journalists and amateur reviewers on their perceived short comings of the EVOx. They consistently remark about the cheap looking interior, the harsh ride, and the turbo lag. Let's examine each of these points:

(I own a 2010 MR Touring edition with navigation, leather clad Recaro and sunroof. I also have the aluminum shift knob and ebrake handle. The navigation, leather seats and sunroof goes a long way in making the interior more upscale looking.)

For $40k the interior looks like it came from a sub $20k economy car. What do you expect? The $40k went towards a fine looking body, a world class awd system, a tuned suspension, brembo brakes and a rev happy turbo. The sst trans in the MR is $15k alone. You have the mechanicals that put to shame competing performance sedans $70k and above. You want a posh interior? Mitsubishi, for $10k more, would gladly add carbon fiber accent trims, heads up display, manually height adjustable driver seat, telescoping steering wheel, add soft touch leather wrapped dash and door panels, and rework the dash layout. At $50k you would end up with a car that has the poshness of an Audi s5 and still kick the Audi's butt from one end of the test track to the other end.

You want a better daily driver with less harsh ride. For an additional $5k, Mitsubishi would gladly add magnetic ride suspension. Now at around $60k we are nearing the point of having the ultimate drivers car.

You think the EVOx is sluggish off the line? Sure, stomp on the car from idle and there is none of that instant whiplash effect like the rollercoaster ride at Great America. Personally, I think the EVO moves very quickly off the line---start accerlerating than stomp on it—different story. But you want the instant whiplash effect. For an additional $10k, Mitsubishi would gladly mod the car with a better turbo, more expensive direct injection, more expensive cat back exhaust, and a better stock tune. Now at $65k we just left the Nissan GTR, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes and any other super sedan in the dust. At $65k, give or take, the EVO is truly in a class of its own, regardless of price. At $65k, the EVOx is an absolute steal of a deal.

So, strip away the $10k for the posh interior, the $5k for magnetic ride suspension, the $10k in engine upgrades and what we end up is a miracle car for $40k with the backbone of being the world class. At least, that is the way I look at it everytime I get in the car and turn the key
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
I come from AMG's and M's. This is my first Japanese car. I have owned a lot of cars all of which made good stock horsepower. I bought the Evo because I always loved the look, and the idea of it..a 4 banger turbo..all wheel drive. It is cheap, fun, and fast. Let me give it a go. the interior is a joke. The car has very few features. But I guess thats what $35k~ gets you. What I expected was for this to be an impulse toy buy that lasted 3 months like other cars I bought and didn't enjoy. What happened is what I didn't expect..I like how it drives.. a lot.There is a pleasure to it. Not in traffic or around town because its notchy shifter and semi-clunky transmission feel at low speeds. But when I get to exercise its legs a little bit..there is something really great. Its a throwback car. It feels old school in the way that it feels like three pedals, a shifter, and steering wheel. There doesn't feel like a million computers running it or miles of cushion and sound deadening. It feels like a drivetrain, an ugly but so beautiful body, and not much else. Its a windows open, "no no, let me go buy the bread and milk..I really want to", radios off..fun car. Jack of all trades. Its not the fastest in stock form..but it is damn fun. Fun factor is what the Evo excels at.
Excellent feedback! Thanks!

- Mike
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by AngryEvo
Thanks, AngryEvo. I'm 48 and I swear I drop a couple decades each time I get behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
I have been pulled over because I did not display a license plate on the front of my Evo. The plate is mounted right where it is supposed to be, they just claim they didn't see it because it is not centered like most cars. Unbelievable.

Good point. I jumped to buy one because it was the last year of them.
The cop couldn't look a foot to the side? Lame.

Originally Posted by Noize
At 42 years young, my criteria for a car has always been the same: I drive what I like, and I like performance cars that can go as fast around corners as they accelerate in a straight line. I could care less what other people think of my automotive choice. I've had five Evos over the past twelve years. I bought my current 2013 X new, and it is here to stay since they won't be making them anymore.

To answer your question, what makes the Evo so special to me is its relentless focus as a true performance car. It is an unapologetic scalpel with one purpose: To get you from point A to point B as quickly as possible. The fact that it's ridiculously overbuilt with the headroom to drastically increase horsepower while maintaining a high degree of reliability only increases the allure.

The yaw control component of the AWD system cuts understeer and makes the car much more neutral and exciting than its competition. Even the upcoming eight-year-newer-tech Ford Focus RS doesn't have as quite of an impressive component list- The Ford has an open front differential and a preset power limitation to the rear wheels.

The Evo X can accommodate 265/35/18 tires on 9.5" wide wheels with no fender modifications, moving it from the grip monster it already is to something beyond ridiculous.

The suspension is unapologetically stiff, like a proper performance car should be.

The engine makes 291hp in stock trim, around 400hp with external breather mods and tuning, and substantially more with a bolt-on turbo upgrade with mild cams.

If you mix all those things in a blender, you have the recipe for a car that can manage 500HP and beyond with the traction, grip, forward thrust, and corner exit speeds that high powered rear wheel drive V8s can only dream of.

It's a little unfortunate in my eyes that the US spec 2015 and Final Edition don't have Recaros. That really harms that aforementioned cohesiveness somewhat, because it's nice to have seats that will hold you in place when approaching the limits of an Evo, especially when modified.

While not as fast as a GTR, it's a third of the cost, easier to maintain, and light years more practical. There's nothing quite like it in the marketplace, as car manufacturers are forced to kowtow to CAFE standards and are cheaping out on things like braking based "differentials" and braking based "torque transfer systems". I'm happy the Evo's ride into the sunset is undimmed by that crap.

I understand that Mitsubishi doesn't have money to develop another generation, and it's a shame, because they have an asinine amount of quality engineering to make a true performance car. This formula, this engine, in a slightly stiffer and smaller new chassis that weighs 300 lbs less would easily continue destroying the competition and be a great sales proposition for them for years to come.

Slightly off topic, there's been a lot of infighting over the years about which Evo in the US has been the best, but I maintain they're all fantastic. I was lucky enough to get to drive an Evo VI Tommi Makinen Edition for a generational comparison site article a few years ago, here: https://www.evolutionm.net/articles/...year-old-icon/

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Seth
Seth, that's a great read. Much appreciated. Just what I am seeking.

- Mike

Originally Posted by e_kobz
^^^ love this response. Agree with all of it
Likewise.

Quick Reply: Seeking feedback for a story on the Evo X...