Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Go with the WRX for now
11.27%
Wait it out and get the Evo
69.01%
Other (i.e. wait for Focus RS, get a Mustang, get a BRZ, etc.)
19.72%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Evo GSR vs. 2016 WRX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Evo GSR vs. 2016 WRX

Sup everyone, I plan on purchasing my first car in about a month or two or even maybe three months from now (sooner the better since I'm driving my sister's car for work).

I have always been an Evo fan and called it my dream car. I've just started doing some car buying research for a brand new 2015 Evo GSR (no thank you for MR, I need manual trans) and came to the conclusion that it is probably going to be out of my budget range (priced at $33,830). SO...

Even though Subaru is our rival, what do you guys think about the 2016 WRX brand new (not the STI, in that case I would definitely go with Evo). I have one priced at $25,000. That is nearly 10 grand cheaper.

My dilemma right now is whether to get the WRX sooner or to wait a while without a car until I can afford an Evo.

The truth is, I think WRX will be a better choice for me right now because of the cost, because I will be daily driving it mainly in the city(75% in traffic), and because it has a better fuel economy and range. Not to mention its lower-end torque will be more fun to drive for the kind of drives I go on and the commutes I take. But I fear of being a traitor to the Evo community. I fear that I will end up explaining myself over and over to various people and friends and get the "are you serious right now?" look.

P.S. - but rest assured, I plan on copping an Evo at some point in my life whether that is in a few months as my first car or some unknown years later when I feel financially stable enough to own one.

P.P.S. - Yes, I still want everyone's opinion on what I should do. THANKS!

Last edited by wantaeseong; Dec 16, 2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 09:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi,

Welcome!

If you need a car, buy what you can afford now. If you can wait then drive both to see what you would be waiting for down the road. The WRX is very capable and a excellent choice, the difference between a new GSR and WRX is substantial for both handling and performance. Good luck!

Bob
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
100% i agree with what speedlimit said. Get what you can afford, that is what brings fun most of times. Both of cars already fun to daily in stock.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Both fine cars get the WRX for the reasons you listed and **** everyone else.

P.S. Don't say the MR is a boring automatic, it's not, just a heads up
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Well the safer route would always be to get what you can more comfortably afford. But by the same token why not just get a used Evo there around that price range. Because all the while you drive the wrx you might be like ugh...why didn't I just get an evo...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id just wait it out and get the evo. You gonna regret getting the wrx just because it was affordable, trust me. Everytime you see an evo youre gonna look at your wrx and wish you had an evo.
Wait it out and get what you REALLY want!! itll be worth it!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
i wouldnt buy a car i dont want to keep forever.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 01:41 PM

I have a 2011 GSR and I've driven my buddy's 2016 WRX and the difference in how they drive is huge. That said, the WRX is still a great car and a good value IMO. If I were you though I would buy a used low mile evo (2014 or older so you get the recaros). Good luck man!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Bhsj13
i wouldnt buy a car i dont want to keep forever.
Because even the cars I've wanted to keep forever, I've moved on from.

And, to drop off my $0.02... The new WRX comes with a garbage tune from the factory, probably worse than the Evo even. The engine sits low so don't plan on lowering the car much.

Also, Call up IAG performance and ask them how many WRXs they have waiting for new engines....
Old Dec 17, 2015, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by splattj
Because even the cars I've wanted to keep forever, I've moved on from.

And, to drop off my $0.02... The new WRX comes with a garbage tune from the factory, probably worse than the Evo even. The engine sits low so don't plan on lowering the car much.

Also, Call up IAG performance and ask them how many WRXs they have waiting for new engines....
Suprised. I heard good about their new FA20 engines. Are they bad in real world?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You won't be able to afford evo insurance. Get the wrx
Old Dec 17, 2015, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Get the car you want. Not the one people you don't know tell you to.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Chef-j
Suprised. I heard good about their new FA20 engines. Are they bad in real world?
Not really. Just a lot of bad, early, aftermarket tunes.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 05:30 PM

Whether I get the WRX or the Evo I plan on keeping it stock for the purposes of reliable daily driving. I'm not considering any used cars in this market, also for reliability reasons. Also, I won't be going to the track any time soon so the better handling and performance I will get with an Evo is sort of negligent at this point. I'm not the kind of person who envies others' cars, and so I wouldn't question my decision on getting something else other than an Evo. I know I'll get one down the road if not now so that's not a problem.

I really appreciate everyone's input. As I figured, most of you suggested I wait and get the Evo. Though I'm curious as to what "Other" suggestions you guys had in mind.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 05:59 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once you go evo you'd realize to match or upgrade in the driving feel you'd need to sport something like a modern Porsche to be satisfied.

Focus RS and Golf R would be the obvious alternative. WRX is like a forced choice at 25k price point. If you need a car now maybe the new Golf GTI with better insurance rate since you sound young. Probably better than WRX in every way except snow and looks.

Quick Reply: 2015 Evo GSR vs. 2016 WRX