Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2015 Evo X - Battery Tender Hookup Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a few too many cars (classics, some of them still being rebuilt), so I have half a dozen float chargers sitting around. For most of them, I just connect to the cigarette lighter (using an adapter). Saves the trouble of having to pop the hood/trunk and attach the clamps each time. Don't know why this wouldn't work for your Evo too.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supergouki
I hooked mine up the same way and I leave the trunk open. The trunk light and dash turn off eventually (within 30 minutes?)
[img]
which part of the chassis do you clamp the negative lead to?
Old May 5, 2019, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Roger350
All I know is you're in trouble when you let the factory installed smoke out of the wires :-)
Hello, what did you mean by this statement?
Old May 5, 2019, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Roger350
attached the negative lead to the bottom of the negative battery cable where it grounds on the body, which is about 10" away from the battery's negative terminal.
Hello, just wanted to ask what you meant by "bottom of the negative batter cable"
Old May 5, 2019, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Hook it up to the battery not under the hood. Use Battery Tender Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger. This charger charges the battery then shuts off the system when the battery is charged and provides little juice to the battery under "stable mode". Again, i would highly recommend charging the battery directly (in the trunk) then the actual cord from the tender will fit with your trunk closed still. Don't worry about vapors..Their is plenty of area to gas out.
Hello, which part of the chassis do you clamp the negative lead to?
Old May 5, 2019, 05:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ProTreeCRX
Hello, just wanted to ask what you meant by "bottom of the negative batter cable"
You are over thinking it. I attached mine to the top of the negative terminal on the battery. If you want to do the same as the "long ago" post. Then just look at the attached pic. The circled number 15 is where it is grounded to the chassis.
The following users liked this post:
ProTreeCRX (May 5, 2019)
Old May 5, 2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by moladin
You are over thinking it. I attached mine to the top of the negative terminal on the battery. If you want to do the same as the "long ago" post. Then just look at the attached pic. The circled number 15 is where it is grounded to the chassis.
[img]
Hello sir. Thank you, I appreciate this. I have a few questions:

1) Just wanted to clarify that you attached your negative lead directly to the negative battery post?
2) Where did you get this image? I tried contacting my Mitsubishi dealer asking if I can purchase a Service Manual and they said they dont sell them.
Old May 5, 2019, 02:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, that is correct. I bind the negative lead from battery tender directly to the negative binding post on the car battery. I generally leave the trunk open while leaving it charged. I have been doing that for 3 years now, no issues. Although I use NOGO Genius brand from Amazon.

As for the Service Manual. I found them online somewhere, but I forgot where. I have most of them I think, they are about 60ish MB compressed. If you have somewhere I can upload to, I'll upload it for you. Just let me know.
Old May 8, 2019, 05:57 PM

Have had my battery tender on my garage queen since 2011. Always have hooked it to the positive terminal under the hood and to a strut tower bolt. Never had an issue and this car sits a ton on the charger. 7k currently.