Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Once the Last New Evo is sold... What happens???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest thing is going to be the fact that only certain people want the car, and they are very enthusiastic about the car. Thus there is already going to be high demand among a devoted group of people with increasingly limited stock. That guarantees price increase. I don't think it will matter which type of Evo other than how new it is and how low miles, with 2 obvious exceptions. Low miles SEs and FEs are going to go up. I think it's just the nature of how this type of thing works.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The supply/demand theory is not factoring in substitutes. Out of the limited populous of people interested in Evos, few are so dedicated that they would rather pay a price premium on an ever aging platform over buying a new car with enhanced features and similar performance.

If your option was a brand new RS or a three year old X for the same price, which would you buy? Fast forward five years. Would you pay the same for an eight year X as lets say an updated, 2021 STi/RS/Golf/A3/new sport compact that has that eras technical improvements? Some yes, the majority though I doubt.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nvmaddog
It will be years before the Evo's really start gaining in value and they will never be rare enough to jump into Supra territory.

There are a ton of brand new 15's to be had right now all thousands under MSRP, and the FE does not have enough to make it "special" other than a little name plaque.

The bottom is not going to fall out by any means because this is a fairly sought after car, but you are not going to be watching any appreciation value in the next 5 years, they are going to keep slowly going down in price due to shear volume alone.

Those who made the case for the IX above, I could see that being one of the more valuable models down the line, if you can find a clean, non cut into version that wasn't owned by some moron who did not know what to do with the car and ruined it.
I have to agree with the above. Unfortunately the evo will never be rare enough to be considered in supra or GTR territory. People are ALWAYS selling their evos and 1) there will be dumb people who don't do their research and buy the abused car, or 2) people will be smart and know that the car is abused so no one will buy it and the prices keep dropping. The cycle continues so there will always be buying and selling of evos. There will ALWAYS be Evos for sale. There are also newer sports cars always coming out and people will want those instead as well.

We looking at least 5-10 years before the prices start going back up and evos start becoming somewhat "special" or "legendary", as some put it.

With everything said, it saddens me because when I really think about it, evos just aren't that special. A lot of people who owned the X when it first came out (2008) came to realize this so that's why the majority of evos being sold on the market today are 2008 - 2009. To them its not worth waiting the 20 years for the price to "go up", and they would rather buy something else and sell the evo.

When I bought my evo in 2013, I told myself that I would never sell it. Its been 3 years and lemme tell you, Ive been having quite many thoughts of the opposite. Not because I abuse the car or anything (I baby the **** out of mine) but because I came to realize that the evo really is just another fast sports car and even though I love it, I probably WILL get bored of it and want something else, something newer, or something different.

Anyways sorry for the rant, just wanted to give my 2cents
Old Feb 22, 2016, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I think its an even push as to which car was more molested on average - Supras or Evos.

As for me, I'd be wary and very careful when buying used.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
IMO, Evos will hold their value and even be at Supra level, someday...
Old Feb 25, 2016, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PriusRepellent
I have to agree with the above. Unfortunately the evo will never be rare enough to be considered in supra or GTR territory. People are ALWAYS selling their evos and 1) there will be dumb people who don't do their research and buy the abused car, or 2) people will be smart and know that the car is abused so no one will buy it and the prices keep dropping. The cycle continues so there will always be buying and selling of evos. There will ALWAYS be Evos for sale. There are also newer sports cars always coming out and people will want those instead as well.

We looking at least 5-10 years before the prices start going back up and evos start becoming somewhat "special" or "legendary", as some put it.

With everything said, it saddens me because when I really think about it, evos just aren't that special. A lot of people who owned the X when it first came out (2008) came to realize this so that's why the majority of evos being sold on the market today are 2008 - 2009. To them its not worth waiting the 20 years for the price to "go up", and they would rather buy something else and sell the evo.

When I bought my evo in 2013, I told myself that I would never sell it. Its been 3 years and lemme tell you, Ive been having quite many thoughts of the opposite. Not because I abuse the car or anything (I baby the **** out of mine) but because I came to realize that the evo really is just another fast sports car and even though I love it, I probably WILL get bored of it and want something else, something newer, or something different.

Anyways sorry for the rant, just wanted to give my 2cents
Just want to chime in here.

Not that I disagree with the conclusion that they won't go up in value. I definitely agree with that.

But it's not like owners of supra's didn't do the same thing. Most of them sold it after several years because it was just another fast sports car.

There's no way to predict what will be sought after/desired down the road. Supra's are a good car, but most of the value comes from the fact that society put them on a pedestal. Why the supra?

So, to count on the evo going up in value is crazy. The good news is at least they don't go down in value that much.

I've had my evo since '08. It's 8 years old now. The fact that they are still selling the same model is astonishing to me, but I don't mind. It also speaks a lot to the car that the design and performance is still competitive in the market 8 years after it was initially introduced. Though, there are a lot of great alternatives now that just didn't exist 8 years ago, and I think that's why you see some owners (remember the forums is just a small sampling of all evo owners) selling their '08/'09s.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If u look at mitsubishi evolution history?4 time rally champ for the evos.Its a special car.peeps just dont know about the cars.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LB_Reddy
If u look at mitsubishi evolution history?4 time rally champ for the evos.Its a special car.peeps just dont know about the cars.

The problem is everyone knows about the car, and they are not at all rare to find.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I think it depends on where you live because here in the Midwest they are rarely seen.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what will happen when they sell out? Nothing. I feel bad for those that buy these cars as "investments", its money wasted. I say enjoy the car to the fullest while its new and don't worry about resale value.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't think people are talking about the car as an investment. I think people are just wondering how it will hold its value as time goes on. I am all for using the car and driving it, it would just be nice when I go to sell it that its worth something decent!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think once the numbers get low on the final edition the price will go up. Supply and demand they will be more desired there for you will see the price go up but I don't believe they will raise it to much
Old Feb 26, 2016, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nvmaddog
The problem is everyone knows about the car, and they are not at all rare to find.
Here in us is not hard to find because is still new.Later on,im talking peeps buying them import/export to different country then its hard to find evos not just here in us.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Evo X won 2015 Africa Rally Championship.1st place.<br/><br/><br/>
Old Mar 21, 2016, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Evos are king in rally racing.It should tell u alot.From 4g63 to 4b11t.Gorrilla Mountain run results.!

Gorrilla Mountain Time result.<br/>

Quick Reply: Once the Last New Evo is sold... What happens???