Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Advise on used Evo with mods

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats up with the timing chain on 2010 evos???
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xiLLtegRax
Well the plan was to negotiate with him to bring down the price if i like it. Somewhere around 22k is where im looking at but it does have low miles so we shall see.

As for the cobb AP, i dont know too much about the unit so correct me if im wrong but with AP you can get ots maps from their site or cobb or you can take it to a tuner to get it customize tune correct??? What would be the difference between the opensource and customize AP tune from a tuner???
The AP is a tuning tool that will hold several maps, read OBD codes, and has live readings, such as boost and so on. There are off the shelf maps by Cobb which they'll let you have for free on their site. You can get a custom map by most tuners, if you so choose. The off the shelf maps are very safe, as every car is different and they don't want have issues. If you want the car to be 100%, take it to a pro who'll make you a map your AP will save. Opensource is free. You can take your car to a tuner, and they'll make a map using opensource. This way you bypass the need for a AP, however, you can't switch maps as easily, unless you buy a tactrix cable and you're back in the same boat.

Whats up with the timing chain on 2010 evos???
2008 and 2010 have the old style timing chain which has a tendency to stretch and if not addressed, bend some valves. Search "timing chain stretch" and you'll get all the info. 2011+ has the new design, which is much better.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 04:27 PM

Hmmm thanks for the advices.
Just came back from test driving it. It has less then 40k miles and been through 3 or 4 sellers. The parts were legit quality parts but the owner was pretty much clueless about modding. He said hes friend help him with mods and installation but car seems to be running a bit rich with the cobb ots map.
It also had bad idle where it flutuates from 800 to 1100 rpm, i dont think this is normal even with a ots tune so can someone advise me about this? I dont think there was any vacuum leak but it wouldnt idle steadily for some reason.
Oh the car had a breather filter on the valve cover, could this possibly the reason??? (Also a small oil leak around the breather area)
Overall the car seemed to be good and drove nice but definitely needs tune and couple of things so im still debating about it.
Offered him 21.5k but he says he wants 22.5k so i took a walk for now......

Another question for you guys, where do you guys usually hook up the tube on vc?? Usually it would go to the intake or oil catch can i believe... im sure this is the same for the evos..... is it not???
Whats the downside of having that breather filter instead of having it hooked up to the intake??? Possibly blowby pressure causing seal failure or could this be the reason of flutuating idle?

Last edited by xiLLtegRax; Apr 2, 2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 04:31 PM

This is from different car but you get the point.<br/>Breather filter for vc that issuupose to be hooked up to intake for vacuum
Old Apr 2, 2016, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

I'll take a pic of my engine bay if you'd like, but it would normally go to the stock intake tube.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 05:59 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Does the car still have the cobb installed? I only ask because most people flash the cars back to stock before they sell it (so they can sell the ap separately). That would explain the idle (same thing when I bought mine). If flashed, it should hold steady at about 1k.

Some will argue about the breather. Several members have used breathers with no issues. Only thing is a slight drip of oil, like you mentioned. You can do breather, catch can or route it back into the aftermarket intake. Your choice really.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 07:30 PM

Im pretty sure he still has the ots map running on the ecu. I doubt he knows how to go back to stock fuel map setting since he doesnt seem to understand the air/fuel mixture and its importance of it especially on a turbo car.
The idle foesnt seem really bad but it does flutuate from time to time so..... idk....
He still have the AP v3 and offered to give it to me with the vehicle which is a plus since if i do purchase i will def have to take it to a tuner.

Ahhhhh decisions decisions...... seems like it will be a good deal at the same time i have someone offering me clean 2015 wrx with 20k miles stock for 21.5k (twin scroll turbo baby)
Old Apr 2, 2016, 07:36 PM

Anyone in delaware area that is very knowledgeable with evo Xs or know a shop that specializes in evo X??? Ill buy you lunch if you can help me/look over the vehicle!!!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Im pretty sure he still has the ots map running on the ecu. I doubt he knows how to go back to stock fuel map setting since he doesnt seem to understand the air/fuel mixture and its importance of it especially on a turbo car.
The idle foesnt seem really bad but it does flutuate from time to time so..... idk....
He still have the AP v3 and offered to give it to me with the vehicle which is a plus since if i do purchase i will def have to take it to a tuner.

Ahhhhh decisions decisions...... seems like it will be a good deal at the same time i have someone offering me clean 2015 wrx with 20k miles stock for 21.5k (twin scroll turbo baby)
you do know the Evo has a twin scroll turbo as well, yes?

Anyone in delaware area that is very knowledgeable with evo Xs or know a shop that specializes in evo X??? Ill buy you lunch if you can help me/look over the vehicle!!!
Thats easy. Go to Sean Ivey. iveytune.com. Its in Elizabeth, NJ, so maybe an hour away. Not cheap, but very very good. What am I getting for lunch?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 07:50 PM

Had no idea the X had a twin scroll. Now that you mention it, it did spool pretty fast.. i was surprised about the response but now it makes sense. Was the X only twin scroll or 8s and 9s too??? I remember but of lag on the 8 but not sure....
As for tuner, thanks alot! But i doubt the seller will drive an hour to do that for me.....
Although i really want a evo (especially ix), its looking like i may settle for the 2015 wrx most likely....
Hopefully seller contacts me within this week to accept 21.5k but i highly doubt it.
Anyhow, thanks alot guys!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was the A/C on? When you test drove it. Mine fluctuates when the condenser kicks in. If the heater was set to auto it could have been what you were noticing.

P.S. Mine is bone stock with under 20k
Old Apr 4, 2016, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Had no idea the X had a twin scroll. Now that you mention it, it did spool pretty fast.. i was surprised about the response but now it makes sense. Was the X only twin scroll or 8s and 9s too??? I remember but of lag on the 8 but not sure....
As for tuner, thanks alot! But i doubt the seller will drive an hour to do that for me.....
Although i really want a evo (especially ix), its looking like i may settle for the 2015 wrx most likely....
Hopefully seller contacts me within this week to accept 21.5k but i highly doubt it.
Anyhow, thanks alot guys!
not sure about the 8 and 9 being twin scroll or not. The Wrx is a very different animal, and depending on what you plan on doing with it, it may or may not be a better choice. It has a much smaller turbo, so boost is pretty instant, which feels nice but drops off pretty quickly. The stock tune is garbage, as you'll find out, which is why most people tune them immediately. People are blowing engines up with simple bolt ons, like exhaust and intake, so they don't seem to be very robust. If staying stock, it probably isn't an issue. The transmission is junk. It is not the Sti 6 speed. If you don't mod the car it isn't an issue really, unless you're beating the **** out of it. Suspension is softer than the Evo. This can be a good or a bad thing, depending on what you like. The Evo has a much better engine, turbo,transmission and handling, but isn't for everyone. If a fluctuating idle throws you off, it may not be for you.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
So.... as stated previously, no issues with that mod list.
1. Try to get a full service history.
Has the trans/t-case/rear diff oil been changed yet? If not, it's due.
Is it on the stock clutch and brake pads still? If so, they're close to EOL for an average Evo
Were any of the factory services completed on it?
Find out what the tire situation is. The factory alignment wears tires quickly and it could be due for its third set by 30k if the alignment wasn't changed.
2. Make sure you get that compression test. Then work them down on price based on the due/overdue/soon-to-be-due maintenance needs.

If you buy it, I'd schedule a dyno tune. I doubt the COBB tune on there is ideal for the mods and it should be tweaked. If the HKS intake doesn't have a shield on the front, the cooling fan can cause the idle to fluctuate a little. Otherwise check the FPR to intake manifold vacuum line. It's been known to pop off since Mistu didn't bother with a hose clamp on it for some reason.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by nemsin
See what kind of interest rates you can get on a new 2015 Evo X. Usually banks (or better yet a Credit Union) will give better rates on new cars. There are enough 2015 X's still sitting on lots that there are deals to be had (like 31-32K range). You might be able to get into a new X for not much more of a monthly payment.
There is still a new 2014 GSR for sale at my local Mitsu dealer. If you want, PM me and I can give you their information. I saw it last week when doing my 15k maintenance.

:thumbsup: