Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Messed up ABS & AWD installing front brakes...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Messed up ABS & AWD installing front brakes...

Ok guys, need help with an issue I created for myself being stupid.

Got new front rotors, pads and titanium shims. I installed the parts and the front right pads and shims where too tight. It kept the front right wheel from turning.
After the install I left the car up on jack stands and started the car and put it in first to see if I could get the front right wheel to rotate. I eased off the clutch and heard a clunk and immediately depressed the clutch and shut it off.

Now I have a ABS & AWD system service warning. I removed the sims to free up the front right wheel and started the car and put it in first again, but the damage was already done.

Curious if anyone has any experience with the abs & awd system that could tell me possibly what could have happened and needs to be repaired.

I need to find a good Mitsubishi shop to fix this issue, so any recommendations are much appreciated. I am in the Northen Kentucky area/Cincinnati Ohio area.

Thanks in advance!
Kope
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:24 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
What level is your brake fluid at? If it is for some reason low after the toggling of pads, you'll get that abs warning.

You should easily be able to run new pads, rotors and shims as long as you press the pistons back into the caliper and it not mess up the ABS system.
The following users liked this post:
stocker77 (Aug 7, 2016)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
What level is your brake fluid at? If it is for some reason low after the toggling of pads, you'll get that abs warning.

You should easily be able to run new pads, rotors and shims as long as you press the pistons back into the caliper and it not mess up the ABS system.
I am running the motul rbf600. I'm not low on fluids, it's just throwing up the ABS & AWD System service required warning. It happened when the front right wheel was locked. Wonder if it's as simple as resetting the warnings?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Check all the wiring for the front ABS sensor on the side that went clunk. Could be that it got caught up in something and damaged.
stocker77 (Aug 7, 2016)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by splattj
Check all the wiring for the front ABS sensor on the side that went clunk. Could be that it got caught up in something and damaged.
Thanks, did another visual check for any damaged sensors.
Disconnected the battery for 15minutes and still didn't clear the abs and asc codes.
Also figured out what the clunking was...I didn't tighten the rear lugs since it was still on jack stands.

I got everything tightened up and decided to take it for a drive to see if the codes would clear up from actual driving. Lucky for me the codes cleared up after driving it down the road. I guess I was just way too paranoid about messing it up!

Thanks for helping me trouble shoot! Feeling relieved now. Hahaha
Old Aug 10, 2016, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Makes sense. The ABS sensed the one wheel not turning and triggered the event light.
stocker77 (Aug 11, 2016)
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by stocker77
Thanks, did another visual check for any damaged sensors.
Disconnected the battery for 15minutes and still didn't clear the abs and asc codes.
Also figured out what the clunking was...I didn't tighten the rear lugs since it was still on jack stands.

I got everything tightened up and decided to take it for a drive to see if the codes would clear up from actual driving. Lucky for me the codes cleared up after driving it down the road. I guess I was just way too paranoid about messing it up!

Thanks for helping me trouble shoot! Feeling relieved now. Hahaha
was just going to try suggesting clearing the code and see if it comes back.

glad it was nothing.
stocker77 (Aug 11, 2016)