Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New EVO owner need help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New EVO owner need help

Just bought my 2011 GSR on Monday. The dealership informed me it had no cat and it wouldn't pass inspection. Apparently it's tuned and from what I've read on other threads I think the O2 sensor is turned off. The codes coming up are O2 not ready and Cat not supported. I drove it at least 100 miles and still not ready. The dealership let me use the dealer plates but I have to return them soon so I really need this inspection soon. I am a super noob in the EVO world so please be gentil.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
My opinion -

Someone took their mods off the car, or most of them, then returned it to 'stock' and traded it in.

The first question I have is why would you buy a car with any check engine lights?

Second question is for the dealership - It is illegal to sell a car that can't pass emissions

Option 1 - Tell them to fix it, then you will pick it up and until then hold your money.

Option 2 - If that is not an option which I am guessing because they probably already have your money, find a tuner local to you, I think Ivey tuning might be up where you are? And get your car to them - without going into boost. Drive this car like it is a baby, don't go over 3000 rpm's until you have it looked at and the tune inspected. You need a PROFESSIONAL to tell you what mods, if any, are on the car, and properly tune the car for the parts that are on there.

Come on man, think with your head not your heart / right foot / speed monkey we all fight deep inside.

Good luck
Old Aug 11, 2016, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure about the laws out there but here in CA the seller is 100% responsible for making sure the car passes emissions before it can be sold.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 05:51 PM

Have some problem with my hdi turbo boost controler electronic can any body help me ?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 07:51 PM

The car isn't stock. From what I can see it has at least a cat back. 3" magnaflow. K&n typhoon intake and I'm pretty sure it's tuned because the CEL isn't on and it runs like a beast. The previous owner wasn't cheap because he put quality parts on the car. From oem rain guards to powder coated wheels. I haven't found an eBay part yet
Old Aug 11, 2016, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

That's cool and all, but doesn't solve your 'won't pass inspection' dilemma. Can you find an inspection station that will be cool with a HFC at least? Put one of those on and take it somewhere to get tuned.
There you go!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:13 PM

Hfc?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:14 PM

High flow cat?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Yes. High flow cat.
Aren't you trying to set the car up so it will pass inspection? Or is that not the point of this thread?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I bet there is a shop that will let you pass the inspection. The place I go to will pass you as long as you don't have a CEL.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 06:42 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
If where you're at doesn't require a visual inspection...

Find someone to turn it back on, or get a cobb app and run any stage except 3. 3 also turns the rear o2 off. Stay out of boost, drive, and get it to come back on (ready).
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
The car has to go ~150 miles with no check engine light (and all sensors working/reporting) to be "Ready for Test." With the current tune it will never be ready.

Me? I would go to the testing place and fail the test. Keep the paperwork.

Then you need to buy a (used?) cat and have the rear O2 sensor turned back on. Drive the car. Get tested and pass.

THEN present the emissions failure notice and receipts to the dealership for reimbursement or promise to lawyer up and notify the State of NY that the dealership sold a car in violation (and cite) ...

(Then put the pipe back on and get tuned again )

Good luck!