Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help downshifting

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I missed one clutch out I think after skimming it. That's how I shift <shrug> it became second nature before I knew a different way to rev match downshift was possible. My parents taught me, and they were old school European so how I do it is probably how they HAD to do it with the old tech they were driving.

This is me - lightning quick
clutch in
neutral
clutch out
gun up RPM's
clutch in
put in gear
clutch out
gas while doing so - bye bye

I do this very very quickly, but have been doing it for 20+ years <shrug>

I DO KNOW that there is a method that was mentioned here that is quicker and works just as well, and there is also heel toe but I've never gotten the hang of that so I don't advertise it personally.
Are you braking while doing this? I don't know how you "gun up rpms" while also braking without heel-toeing. Heel-toeing simply refers to operating both the brake and gas pedals at the same time with one foot.

Originally Posted by moparfan
Don't match revs downshifting. Don't really care either. I used to back when I autox'ed but I'm too lazy now 9 out of 10 opportunities to do so.

Other than my first car which was auto everything's been manual. I've had the good fortune to never change a clutch or have a mechanical issue within the trans.
Do you slip the clutch when releasing every downshift or do you just jerk the car?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ddawg1130

Do you slip the clutch when releasing every downshift or do you just jerk the car?
I slip it's usually pretty smooth without excessive slippage.. Not that it is "right" but I think the vast majority of manual drivers drive in the same style as I do (most worse/jerk).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 04:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not just Rev if u know you're slipping your clutch? I've never heard that before lol
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo
Why not just Rev if u know you're slipping your clutch? I've never heard that before lol
I guess I do give it some gas but I'm not trying to rev match by blipping before letting out the clutch.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:21 PM

Ah okay mopar. That makes more sense.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo
Ah okay mopar. That makes more sense.
And my trans when new and in cold weather... good lord, I was just happy to get it in gear. I often skipped gears until I found one that worked.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Are you braking while doing this? I don't know how you "gun up rpms" while also braking without heel-toeing. Heel-toeing simply refers to operating both the brake and gas pedals at the same time with one foot.

No I momentarily take my foot off the brake to do this maneuver. So I can't do it 'all the time' but 95% of the time at least. Just need to be paying attention to traffic and be situationally aware. It's really like breathing for me at this point lol.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double clutching should not be needed on a modern car with a well maintained transmission with synchros. I do however suggest learning how to rev match on the down shift. It will save your transmission and your passenger's lunch. A lurching clutch drag is doing it wrong.
Right foot off gas
Left foot clutch in
Pull leaver out of gear
Right foot blip throttle
Pull leaver into gear
Left foot off clutch
Right foot on gas
It sounds comlicated but it really is not. Only takes a few tenths of a second to do. The Evo's flywheels are realitively light so it doesnt take a lot of gas to get the engine to rev, but they also spin down fast so you have to be quick getting it into gear. Practice with the car off. Then practice in a big empty parking lot. My evo was always on the stock clutch. But when I upgraded my Mazdaspeed 6 to a spec stage 3+ and a fidenza flywheel, rev match was the only way. The stock clutch was hard to manage as it is. An aftermarked one allowed for no BSing around. Trying to drag the clutch after a downshift was not a nice exerience.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 05:14 AM

here's my 2 cents worth. brake pads are cheaper and tons easier to swap out than your clutch.

if you cant picture in your mind what happens during clutch engagement and realize that the friction material is being used up with each shift, it may not be long before a swap out is going to happen. save your pennies in a....fridge box!

speed matching your shifts is a learned skill....and you shouldn't rely on compression braking to slow down. when you do get it right, your tach should not go up or down a lot in rpm's.

compression braking also creates lots of vacuum in the engine. that vacuum sucks oil past piston rings. in 'the old days' (i'm a seasoned hot rodder)...regular high rpm downshifting to slow down would gum up oil control rings and depending on how loose the rings were would gum up compression rings. same thing for valve seals.

6 speed acura's where people would screw up and downshift into 2nd at road speed would find an over revved and popped engine. I cant imagine doing that to an evo.

I do downshift at lower road speed and rpm's, speed match. double clutch, blip the throttle. whatever it takes to keep the tach from jumping way up during a down shift. and keeping the trans shifting like butter.

ok, 3 cents worth.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by supwiddiss
here's my 2 cents worth. brake pads are cheaper and tons easier to swap out than your clutch.

if you cant picture in your mind what happens during clutch engagement and realize that the friction material is being used up with each shift, it may not be long before a swap out is going to happen. save your pennies in a....fridge box!

speed matching your shifts is a learned skill....and you shouldn't rely on compression braking to slow down. when you do get it right, your tach should not go up or down a lot in rpm's.

compression braking also creates lots of vacuum in the engine. that vacuum sucks oil past piston rings. in 'the old days' (i'm a seasoned hot rodder)...regular high rpm downshifting to slow down would gum up oil control rings and depending on how loose the rings were would gum up compression rings. same thing for valve seals.

6 speed acura's where people would screw up and downshift into 2nd at road speed would find an over revved and popped engine. I cant imagine doing that to an evo.

I do downshift at lower road speed and rpm's, speed match. double clutch, blip the throttle. whatever it takes to keep the tach from jumping way up during a down shift. and keeping the trans shifting like butter.

ok, 3 cents worth.
Get your logic out of here, nobody wants any of it here.

Clearly rev matching downshifts is the best way to do it, but clearly people get set in their ways. Though personally I don't understand not wanting to learn something new, especially when the new skill is a better practice. You improve your knowledge and beat on your car less.

there's plenty of tutorials online of heal-toeing downshifts, people should just try it.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:17 AM

Now the question is, what is everybody's take on not using the clutch at all?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:19 AM

Get your logic out of here, nobody wants any of it here.

Clearly rev matching downshifts is the best way to do it, but clearly people get set in their ways. Though personally I don't understand not wanting to learn something new, especially when the new skill is a better practice. You improve your knowledge and beat on your car less.

there's plenty of tutorials online of heal-toeing downshifts, people should just try it.
I'd try heel toeing if my legs weren't so damn long. Seriously, I feel like these cars were designs for people below 6ft.

Also, supwiddis......are you saying Rev matching is bad then? Maybe I'm misreading, but if you're using "compression braking causes a vacuum "/whatever else you typed to say that it's bad for the engine.....what do you suggest lol
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hartless93
Now the question is, what is everybody's take on not using the clutch at all?
Lol, starting fires
Old Sep 9, 2016, 01:25 PM

I get what suppwiddiss is saying. Theres no need to rev match into the high rpms and then spend forever letting the engine slow the car down. Use the brakes, when you get to an appropriate speed for the next lower gear, then downshift with a rev match. 1000rpm or so difference in rpm. No need to downshift from 3rd to second when your at 5k rpm in 3rd... unless you like listening to your engine complain. Just slow down using the brakes and then downshift. I taught my wife how to rev match in her '15 wrx and its the first manual car shes ever owned. (hill start assist is cheating)
Old Sep 9, 2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Seigisama
I get what suppwiddiss is saying. Theres no need to rev match into the high rpms and then spend forever letting the engine slow the car down. Use the brakes, when you get to an appropriate speed for the next lower gear, then downshift with a rev match. 1000rpm or so difference in rpm. No need to downshift from 3rd to second when your at 5k rpm in 3rd... unless you like listening to your engine complain. Just slow down using the brakes and then downshift. I taught my wife how to rev match in her '15 wrx and its the first manual car shes ever owned. (hill start assist is cheating)
Ah okay that I agree with. I must've misread, whoops.

Quick Reply: Need help downshifting