Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help downshifting

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
wut?

You can't be serious.

You're dropping down a gear without rev matching etc. you're just eating up clutch and synchros.

My heavy driven 08 STi clutch lasted 110 miles with mods and HARD but proper driving. Good luck doing that without rev matching.

Dead serious. Highest posted speed limit in my city is 70km. my rpm/speed is never really that high. I don't see the point in rev matching. If my speed is low, my rpm is low and say i'm going from 3-2, why rev match? its not like my rpm will be over 3500 when I go into second. i'm not letting off the clutch super fast.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
And that feels good to you?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
And that feels good to you?
Lol, I can't imagine it would
Old Aug 18, 2016, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo
Lol, I can't imagine it would
For real. That jerk must just be vtech kicking in?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
For real. That jerk must just be vtech kicking in?
That jerk has to be bad for the transmission right? The only time I get that jerk now is when I mess up trying to rev match, going from 3rd gear to 2nd gear.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by VDubJCabe
Dead serious. Highest posted speed limit in my city is 70km. my rpm/speed is never really that high. I don't see the point in rev matching. If my speed is low, my rpm is low and say i'm going from 3-2, why rev match? its not like my rpm will be over 3500 when I go into second. i'm not letting off the clutch super fast.
Because you are just burning up your clutch and synchro's doing that. Every time you don't rev match all that energy and force is directly absorbed by those components. Now if you're balling out of control and can just buy clutches every now and then and a transmission service for no other reason than bad driving, that's your call.

I'd rather drive the clutch for the anticipated life of the clutch and never need synchro work / transmission work done because I didn't stress those components like you are doing.

If it wasn't necessary to rev match, why do they bother programming that into cars like the M2, 370z and others?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Virtual
That jerk has to be bad for the transmission right? The only time I get that jerk now is when I mess up trying to rev match, going from 3rd gear to 2nd gear.
practice makes perfect...
Old Aug 19, 2016, 07:23 AM

practice makes perfect...
Practice makes better lol....Electronic controls make perfect.

But nah, in all honesty, when I get my Rev matches right I feel like the man. When I get them slightly wrong I'm automatically trying to figure out what went wrong (not enough gas, bringing up the clutch too early while the engine is revving). I get perfect ones maybe 60-70% of the time, and the other ones are maybe 200rpm off. Coming off the clutch smooth seems to forgive underrevving.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 07:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
So 'leaving it in 3rd' could be fine, but know the following things about a small motor + turbo -

It's VERY bad for you to be at a low RPM high load. So for instance, if you are in 5th gear and going 30mph and want to pass someone - DON'T FLOOR IT.

Downshift.

High load - low RPM = death to turbo engines, especially when modded. You might get away with it stock, but it is still not advised.

So if you do roll through a corner in 3rd, unless you're going pretty quickly, ease on the gas and slowly build up to speed.

Good rule of thumb - Don't floor it unless you are over 3200 RPM's in these cars.
Idk where this info came from, but it's wrong. As long as your car is tuned properly to manage torque, it does not matter. It also doesn't matter when the car is stock.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Idk where this info came from, but it's wrong. As long as your car is tuned properly to manage torque, it does not matter. It also doesn't matter when the car is stock.
Hey I'm curious as well, I've heard that lugging a turbo car is bad, so I'm always wary (last car was NA). I would imagine lugging to be under 2k, where that noticeable vibration is).

I don't know anyone who would floor it in 5th gear from 30mph....especially in theae...wouldn't u be pretty much about to stall from being that low?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If you don't know or believe that high load / low RPM is bad for these kinds of cars, ESPECIALLY when modded... I don't know what to tell you. It's a fact, and has caused MANY engine failures for those that thought it would be a good idea to floor it at a low RPM.

Here, from a well respected tuner:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=5
Old Aug 19, 2016, 07:48 AM

Only one way to solve this.

Letsgetthisdone has to lug his engine over time to disprove it, since nothing bad will happen. Lol
Old Aug 19, 2016, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
this thread is getting to be dumb...just practice driving the damn car...your going to kill your clutch either way because you are learning on a car that is not forgiving to newer drivers...start saving now...clutch jobs for this car are expensive
Old Aug 19, 2016, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you don't know or believe that high load / low RPM is bad for these kinds of cars, ESPECIALLY when modded... I don't know what to tell you. It's a fact, and has caused MANY engine failures for those that thought it would be a good idea to floor it at a low RPM.

Here, from a well respected tuner:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=5
lol pretty funny said tuner is BANNED!

z
E
R
E
p
Old Aug 19, 2016, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by zeRep85RA