Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help downshifting

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Idk, and Idc why dude is banned,I'm only worried about the legitimacy of the statement.....which he didn't say either way, just included dude was banned. Smh lol.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
And that feels good to you?
There isn't much, if any jerk. I know quite a number of guys that don't rev match and drive modded cars. A good friend of mine dailys his modded WRX, stock clutch at 115km and doesn't rev match. My evo will maybe get 5000km a year. I'm not to worried about buying a clutch lol.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by zeRep85RA
lol pretty funny said tuner is BANNED!

z
E
R
E
p
The only reason he is banned is bescause he rebuilt an engine for a person on that site, after one of the people that run that site built the engine and did stuff like not tell the customer they were getting a welded together block and not an OEM block. He thoroughly documented their horrible work that he fixed top to bottom and they banned him for speaking out against their shoddy work and overcharging.

More to that story that you don't know, so no, he wasn't banned for anything related to his expertise. If you want to hit him up directly he contributes at boostedforums.net currently and runs a shop out of Utah. www.wtftuned.com

So his information is good, and the statement - high load at low rpm = bad for your engine is accurate.

Good day
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by VDubJCabe
There isn't much, if any jerk. I know quite a number of guys that don't rev match and drive modded cars. A good friend of mine dailys his modded WRX, stock clutch at 115km and doesn't rev match. My evo will maybe get 5000km a year. I'm not to worried about buying a clutch lol.
you should be a little worried if you look through the forum there are countless threads about new drivers trashing the evo clutch in no time. So comparing a wrx to and evo clutch is pretty pointless comparison. Also I would agree that low rpm and high load situations are very hard on this engine and should be avoided.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
If you don't know or believe that high load / low RPM is bad for these kinds of cars, ESPECIALLY when modded... I don't know what to tell you. It's a fact, and has caused MANY engine failures for those that thought it would be a good idea to floor it at a low RPM.

Here, from a well respected tuner:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=5

I wouldn't call WTF tuning a respected tuner. Like I said, a proper tune will not cause issues with this. There aren't going to be "unpredictable" boost spikes. In 3rd gear, my car spools the same whether I go from 2500 or 3500. It hits 20psi at 4k, and 32psi at 4500. In 5th its about 500-600rpm's sooner, it can cough the BOV a bit right around 4k in 5th, but its not hurting anything. Saying to not start a pull below 3200 is absolutely silly.

The thing he stated about MIVEC is even funnier. MIVEC is a 3d table based on load and rpm. So the "crossover" point (there is not crossover, its not Vtec), is dependent on boost (load) and RPM. So if you hit peak boost (load) sooner, its not a big deal...

Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo
Only one way to solve this.

Letsgetthisdone has to lug his engine over time to disprove it, since nothing bad will happen. Lol

I have done this for the past 40k miles, and I will continue to do it. So, theres that. Is your "theory" disproven yet?

Originally Posted by zeRep85RA
lol pretty funny said tuner is BANNED!

z
E
R
E
p
He wasn't banned for tuning stuff, but that's beside the point.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
wtf...

i can find whatever the **** i want funny...

z
E
R
E
p
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by napalm_enema
the only reason he is banned is bescause he rebuilt an engine for a person on that site, after one of the people that run that site built the engine and did stuff like not tell the customer they were getting a welded together block and not an oem block. He thoroughly documented their horrible work that he fixed top to bottom and they banned him for speaking out against their shoddy work and overcharging.

More to that story that you don't know, so no, he wasn't banned for anything related to his expertise. If you want to hit him up directly he contributes at boostedforums.net currently and runs a shop out of utah. www.wtftuned.com

so his information is good, and the statement - high load at low rpm = bad for your engine is accurate.

Good day
ether.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I wouldn't call WTF tuning a respected tuner. Like I said, a proper tune will not cause issues with this. There aren't going to be "unpredictable" boost spikes. In 3rd gear, my car spools the same whether I go from 2500 or 3500. It hits 20psi at 4k, and 32psi at 4500. In 5th its about 500-600rpm's sooner, it can cough the BOV a bit right around 4k in 5th, but its not hurting anything. Saying to not start a pull below 3200 is absolutely silly.

The thing he stated about MIVEC is even funnier. MIVEC is a 3d table based on load and rpm. So the "crossover" point (there is not crossover, its not Vtec), is dependent on boost (load) and RPM. So if you hit peak boost (load) sooner, its not a big deal...I have done this for the past 40k miles, and I will continue to do it. So, theres that. Is your "theory" disproven yet?He wasn't banned for tuning stuff, but that's beside the point.
So you've purposely lugged your engine for 40,000 miles? Like floored it from super low rpm? What's the point, why not downshift? Lol

Also, not my theory. I thought I said "I've heard" or seen, I could be wrong. Either way, you drive your car how you want, I'll listen to the countless people that say lugging is bad. Lol
Old Aug 19, 2016, 01:55 PM
EvoM Guru

So you've purposely lugged your engine for 40,000 miles? Like floored it from super low rpm? What's the point, why not downshift? Lol

Also, not my theory. I thought I said "I've heard" or seen, I could be wrong. Either way, you drive your car how you want, I'll listen to the countless people that say lugging is bad. Lol
It goes fine as long as its in the right gear. It wont pull 5th from 2500, but it will pull 2nd or 3rd just fine. If I need the power, I'll down shift. But 500+whp isn't always needed.

Countless people who don't have a clue, and are perpuating false info from meh (at best) tuners like the one that was quoted...
Old Aug 19, 2016, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
It goes fine as long as its in the right gear. It wont pull 5th from 2500, but it will pull 2nd or 3rd just fine. If I need the power, I'll down shift. But 500+whp isn't always needed.

Countless people who don't have a clue, and are perpuating false info from meh (at best) tuners like the one that was quoted...
Yeah this meh tuner has his own shop and has helped countless people, has great word of mouth and a strong following.

I've heard the same thing from Kozmic Motorsports, one of the best tuners around. (I live in the same town with them and they work on my car)

Will this guy be credible to you?

The fact is that there are a LOT of 'I blew my engine' stories from all kinds of vehicles that have one common denominator - High load - LOW RPM.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
you should be a little worried if you look through the forum there are countless threads about new drivers trashing the evo clutch in no time. So comparing a wrx to and evo clutch is pretty pointless comparison. Also I would agree that low rpm and high load situations are very hard on this engine and should be avoided.
I wasn't comparing the Evo clutch to the WRX. I'm just stating he is still on stock clutch after 115km or so without rev matching. My other buddy has a brz, 55km doesn't rev match, no clutch issues. One of the other few evo drivers where I live has a evo 6, rhd and doesn't rev match, 80km and no issues.

My speed and rpms are close enough where I have very little to no jerk when I change gears. Agree to disagree I guess. However, I couldn't agree more with bogging the car down being very bad. it feels terrible, sounds terrible, and nothing good can come from it.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Yeah this meh tuner has his own shop and has helped countless people, has great word of mouth and a strong following.

I've heard the same thing from Kozmic Motorsports, one of the best tuners around. (I live in the same town with them and they work on my car)

Will this guy be credible to you?

Why You Should Never Lug Your Engine (Especially Turbos) - YouTube

The fact is that there are a LOT of 'I blew my engine' stories from all kinds of vehicles that have one common denominator - High load - LOW RPM.
The upper left of the white board, he is talking about lugging the engine is such a high gear that it cannot accelerate, yes, that is bad. That, however, is very different than pulling out of a corner in 3rd at 2200rpm. Even my laggy (relative to stock) setup does that just fine. My car for example, on flat ground, pulls 4th just fine from 2600-2700rpm to get around traffic if I need to, 5th it will pull fine from 3100-3200ish.

The LSPI topic is related to engines like the VWAG 2.0T, with its very small turbo, you get peak boost at <1500rpm. Special engineering and tuning was needed to combat LSPI.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 04:44 PM

The upper left of the white board, he is talking about lugging the engine is such a high gear that it cannot accelerate, yes, that is bad. That, however, is very different than pulling out of a corner in 3rd at 2200rpm. Even my laggy (relative to stock) setup does that just fine. My car for example, on flat ground, pulls 4th just fine from 2600-2700rpm to get around traffic if I need to, 5th it will pull fine from 3100-3200ish.

The LSPI topic is related to engines like the VWAG 2.0T, with its very small turbo, you get peak boost at <1500rpm. Special engineering and tuning was needed to combat LSPI.
Man, you're confusing yourself, clearly.

You JUST said you've lugged your engine for the past 40k lmao
Old Aug 19, 2016, 04:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Man, you're confusing yourself, clearly.

You JUST said you've lugged your engine for the past 40k lmao
Lugging an engine is accelerating outside of the "power band". Trying to make the car accelerate in 5th gear at 1500rpm's is retarded.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 04:53 PM

Lugging an engine is accelerating outside of the "power band". Trying to make the car accelerate in 5th gear at 1500rpm's is retarded.
And yet, you said you've been lugging your engine for the past 40k chief. Your words (if you forgot, lol) are on page 4

Quick Reply: Need help downshifting