Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New evo owner, help me figure out what I've got?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New evo owner, help me figure out what I've got?

Hello! I'm Kevin, and I've just recently picked up this sweet 2013 Evo X MR with 19,000 miles. Link...

http://www.dallasautoexchange.com/in...ring-Dallas-TX

I honestly am not entirely sure what I've got. I can read the Cobb stuff in the ad, but there are other things in the car I am not sure of.
There was a Cobb accessport in the console, so I assume the previous owner ran a tune on the car. The accessport cable is plugged into the port on the lower left side of the steering wheel where it should be, and it emerges out of the little panel just above that.
I have a male and female USB that are fed to the glove box from behind the dash, but what they run to is a mystery.
There is another female USB next to a little power toggle switch in the little compartment in front of the shifter.
In another compartment right in front of that, there is a wire poking out that looks like it would charge an android phone, but the short amount of wire sticking out would make it near impossible to actually hook the phone to it.
There is also a flexfuel badge on the rear of the car, but I have no clue how to determine what kit, if any, is actually equipped on the car.
The fuel pump relay has been swapped for a green one 👍🏻, and there is a wire with a 30 amp fuse running to one of the fuse blanks that is nearest the driver's headlight side of the fuse box. No idea what this fused wire goes to.
I got the car in Dallas from the Dallas Auto Exchange. They said the owner traded it in on an M5. They couldn't give me any of the information I am asking you for because they just didn't know.

Really, I hope someone here actually knows the car. It is put together extremely well, it is crazy fast, and it is super clean.
Thanks so much for any help. I look forward to becoming a helpful member!
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...mp-relays.html
Old Aug 22, 2016, 04:50 AM

Yep, I read up on the fuel pump relays. That's how I knew the green one was a replacement, but thanks for the post!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I think Delicious Tuning is one of the only shops doing Flex Fuel AP tunes, so more than likely you've got their setup. Something like the below.

https://www.delicioustuning.com/node/491

Anyway, looks like a nice car, congrats and welcome
The following users liked this post:
Kevvsworld (Aug 22, 2016)
Old Aug 22, 2016, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
You need to baby the car, then take it to a REPUTABLE tuner that know's specializes in the EVO X MR. See what you have, get your tune checked and then assess if any work needs to be done. You're driving a car with a very very expensive transmission in it. You want to be 10000000% sure you are running a safe tune before anything else big $$ await you in the near future.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
You need to baby the car, then take it to a REPUTABLE tuner that know's specializes in the EVO X MR. See what you have, get your tune checked and then assess if any work needs to be done. You're driving a car with a very very expensive transmission in it. You want to be 10000000% sure you are running a safe tune before anything else big $$ await you in the near future.
Exactly what I planned to post in the thread. Please make sure the tune is good. Otherwise you are going to break your bank.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lightsaber
Exactly what I planned to post in the thread. Please make sure the tune is good. Otherwise you are going to break your bank.
So much money went into this car from an older man who obviously has money that I find it difficult to believe he would skimp on the tune. The steering wheel cost him $500 to have custom covered for Pete's sake. It is honestly beautifully done. It drives so smooth, and it feels so tight.
It's the custom touches I'm wondering about like the weird wiring in the glove box and compartments above the shifter.
And the 30 amp fused wire tucking into the fuse box under the hood. I have seen this wire in pictures on this website while looking for and reading info. Here is the link with the pic in it. About half way down the page just before the list of pictures for the updated relays. There is a red wire plugged into the fuse box. What is it for?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-up-help.html
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevvsworld
So much money went into this car from an older man who obviously has money that I find it difficult to believe he would skimp on the tune. The steering wheel cost him $500 to have custom covered for Pete's sake. It is honestly beautifully done. It drives so smooth, and it feels so tight.
It's the custom touches I'm wondering about like the weird wiring in the glove box and compartments above the shifter.
And the 30 amp fused wire tucking into the fuse box under the hood. I have seen this wire in pictures on this website while looking for and reading info. Here is the link with the pic in it. About half way down the page just before the list of pictures for the updated relays. There is a red wire plugged into the fuse box. What is it for?

All the red wires I have tucked in to fuses in my car are for my gauges, so that'd be my first guess.

It's always worth it to take a pre-modified car to a reputable shop for a once over. People do all sorts of weird **** without proper guidance, just look at the advice given out on the Evo X Facebook groups lol.

While I am fairly sure you have the DT Flex Fuel tune, it can never hurt to have a shop take a look at the car.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevvsworld
Dude asks for advice...people say check the tune over and over...then of course you say theres no way the tune could be bad...then why even ask if your just going to tell a lie to yourself because(not that I blame you) you don't want to have to go and spend money on a tune to make sure it is running safely. These cars can be damaged pretty easily with a poor tune. Its a chance you take when you buy a modded car..
Old Aug 23, 2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Dude asks for advice...people say check the tune over and over...then of course you say theres no way the tune could be bad...then why even ask if your just going to tell a lie to yourself because(not that I blame you) you don't want to have to go and spend money on a tune to make sure it is running safely. These cars can be damaged pretty easily with a poor tune. Its a chance you take when you buy a modded car..
I never said there was no way the tune could be bad, but thanks for the response. I don't mind spending the money on having the car checked out. There is just nowhere here that can do it. I see you live in Missouri. Where do you go, who do you trust?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks nice. What tune does it say it's running on AP?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Boostin Performance, they have a pretty good reputation with Mitsu's http://www.boostinperformance.com/, they can also just do an Etune for you so that way you don't have to drive there. There is lots of places actually that do Etunes.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Boostin Performance, they have a pretty good reputation with Mitsu's http://www.boostinperformance.com/, they can also just do an Etune for you so that way you don't have to drive there. There is lots of places actually that do Etunes.
Does there exist and etune that runs the Accessport with FlexFuel? In my reading, this sounds like a pretty rare thing. I have looked at the delicious stuff, and I don't have any of the bracketry associated with that kit, and my flexfuel sticker on the back is green instead of red.
I really need to get into a shop and have it checked out. Thanks for the heads up about Boostin Performance. Where are they located?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by kqodprez
Car looks nice. What tune does it say it's running on AP?
I haven't hooked up the accessport yet because I don't know how the flexfuel is integrated, and I definitely don't want to screw any of it up. I will let a shop check it out and let me know what's up. At that time, I will understand if I am able to tune it with the accessport with flexfuel for any changes I might make.

The car honestly runs smooth and strong though. I am trying to contact the original owner to find out more. I had hoped the owner was a member here that someone would know. Oh well...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The listing says there is an aftermarket head-unit installed. At least one of those USBs is likely for an AUX input.

Boostin' is based out of IL, north-west of Chitown.

Quick Reply: New evo owner, help me figure out what I've got?