Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner Questions

Hello folks, just picked up a Mercury Gray Final Edition a couple days ago. My first real sports car & first manual car as well.

Driving has been going relatively smoothly but I have a couple questions. I've noticed that the clutch bites pretty much at the very top, so that makes me wonder if shifting can be done without fully depressi the clutch, maybe just letting it down 3/4s of the way instead of to the floor.

Also, when getting going I noticed that I have to ride the clutch quite a bit otherwise it will be a pretty jerky take off, is this something normal or am I potentially causing harm? Usually by 5mph or so it's fully released but until then I have it sitting right on the bite point. thanks

New Owner Questions-pzavggs.jpg
New Owner Questions-tbiuzxa.jpg
New Owner Questions-etnqp58.jpg

Last edited by AP04; Mar 31, 2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 07:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You probably should go to the floor just so that you don't get into the habit of riding the clutch. The car does tend to bite high so you'll probably get used to it after driving it for a few weeks. Also you will get far better with the start-stop transition at the bite point on this car with time. When I got mine I came over from a car that had a extremely heavy clutch pedal by comparison and it took me a while to get used to the light clutch and high bite point on this car. You will get it. I'm sure that your clutch is also breaking too, if you bought your car new.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Did you notice you bought it with a little girl inside? Was that a bonus that came with the care LOL, is somewhat scary. Congrats, get rid of those ugly lancer seats LOL.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Remove the clutch pill
Old Apr 1, 2017, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Takes getting used to. The take is short and it grabs quick. Slipping it too much or trying to be too smooth will burn it out quick. The stock clutch lasted 10k, the next 75k, and I'm on my third now for about 5k, all with just bolt ons and tune.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah, clutch pretty much acts like that in my car also. I'd suggest going all the way down to the floor. If you don't every once in a while you're going to feel a *almost* grind against the next gear. Some say getting rid of the clutch pill, which softens/slows clutch engagement, gets rid of some of the variability.

46 Mitsubishi?

Last edited by moparfan; Apr 1, 2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Yoo Shin
Takes getting used to. The take is short and it grabs quick. Slipping it too much or trying to be too smooth will burn it out quick. The stock clutch lasted 10k, the next 75k, and I'm on my third now for about 5k, all with just bolt ons and tune.
So a slight stutter would be a better option when getting going instead of trying to be really smooth? Or is this just something I have to learn and perfect so I can quickly but smoothly get off the clutch?

Originally Posted by moparfan
Yeah, clutch pretty much acts like that in my car also. I'd suggest going all the way down to the floor. If you don't every once in a while you're going to feel a *almost* grind against the next gear. Some say getting rid of the clutch pill, which softens/slows clutch engagement, gets rid of some of the variability.

46 Mitsubishi?
Yeah I've seen a lot of talk about the whole clutch pill removal, will have to look into it & yes, got it from 46 Mitsubishi just a couple nights ago
Old Apr 3, 2017, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing the clutch pill is a good option imo

but yeah, pretty normal to have a lot of slip in the clutch. welcome to revvy awd cars.