Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help

just bought 2013 evo yesterday (2nd one nvr modded 1st tho) drove 4 hrs to get it from a dealership on my drive home the check engine light comes on so I called the dealer they said they just changed the oil and forgot to reset light so when I got home I went to a local dealer the service guy pops hood and tells me that I no longer have a warranty due to performance parts and that I should return the car 1st of all I'm not returning the car its amazing and 2nd to me (I don't know much at all) it just looked like intake and exhaust
but he thought there was a manual boost controller and the original dealer said it had coilovers that needed to be adjusted thats why it feels like somethings rubbing lightly until I hit 20mph I also noticed sometimes the amount of boost kinda dies down at 4-5k instead of increasing so I brought it to JMS they said I need to buy a Cobb AP and have them tune it any thoughts?
what do you guys think of JMS in San Antonio ? is there anyone else you recommend in or near San Antonio ? could those parts cause a check engine light? what can/should I do
I scheduled an apt with JMS but the earliest they can tune it would be 4/14 ands its gonna run me $1???.00 I just spend a lot of money on the down payment she also said that theres no guarantees on the dyno as in like my motor might blow!!! its only got 15,000 miles on it. I wouldn't mind extra power but more concerned about longevity and reliability at least now (I've only had it for like 20 hours lol)
IS TUNING BAD FOR THE MOTOR?
SHOPS YOU RECOMMEND IN OR NEAR SAN ANOTNIO TEXAS?
OPINIONS ON JMS?
WILL EXHAUST INTAKE ETC CAUSE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT?
COULD LIGHT RUBBING BE COIL OVERS?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 05:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Id take that back to the dealer you bought it from. Most all dealers get you 30 days. Sounds like a lot of warning signs not to keep it. Also, a maintenance light will come on when service is due, but not a check engine light.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 05:32 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I was in the same situation when I bought mine. Even the check engine light on the way home like you. Same deal, mods etc etc. Won't get into details and make it a super long post. Anyway... sounds like the previous owner flashed the car back to stock. Yes, that will throw codes (check engine light) and you'll notice the boost issue you're talking about. If you're not sure what you're doing, take it to a reputable shop. And yes... stay out of boost/don't beat on the car until you get it taken care of.
The following users liked this post:
niclo13 (Apr 5, 2017)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So what was the CEL for?
i assume by your Evo rubbing your height is too low and needs to be raised a bit.
As far as tuning goes
If there are quite a few boltons I can understand that a tune will resolve a lot of things such as drivability, and making sure your car is operating within safe limits with respect to your parts already on the car.
So with your current mileage I'm hoping for the best and you have maybe some boost leaks needing to be taken care of and a tune to make sure your car is operating flawlessly with the current mods. plus the benefit of power/tq gains
I wouldn't worry about taking it to the dealer unless the car is some how dogged out with only 15k miles
Definitely possible but usually unlikely.
Do the regular checks first boost leak, checking plugs, and even compression test to see how healthy the motor is within these 30 days. But if these diagnosis are looking like shyt take it back
niclo13 (Apr 5, 2017)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
If you want to keep it -

Drive it OUT OF BOOST up to Cobb in Plano TX or Kozmic in Houston. Have them sort the car for you. Pay them moneys. Enjoy car.
niclo13 (Apr 5, 2017)