Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Intake and TBE with no tune

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Intake and TBE with no tune

So I've been lurking these forums for years now but have never joined since I've never owned an Evo. But the time has come that I'm selling my 2010 SHO to go out and finally buy a car I've wanted for 6 years now; an X.

Last week I test drove a 2013 Cosmic Blue Evo X (49k miles) and seemed to drive just fine. I did notice that it had an ETS intake on it and a Turboxs TBE on it. The dealership it's for sale at has no idea about the car or anything so I got a hold of the previous owner and asked him if it had anything else done to the car which it didn't. But it also has never been tuned which makes me a little bit iffy. I don't understand why you would do a TBE and never get it tuned.

What do you all think? Should I request a compression test and go from there? Would you all have a problem buying an Evo X with an intake and TBE knowing it's never been tuned?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 09:16 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Does it have a high flow cat or a test pipe? The intake does make it run a little leaner, but that's fine for a very rich factory tune. Feel free to get it checked out, but if what the owner says is true, I bet it will be in a good condition.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
Does it have a high flow cat or a test pipe? The intake does make it run a little leaner, but that's fine for a very rich factory tune. Feel free to get it checked out, but if what the owner says is true, I bet it will be in a good condition.
I'm 99% sure it's a high flow cat.
The car itself is extremely clean, just the no tune part sorta scares me. As I've always read to stockpile your parts, install them all at once and get a dyno tune as I know turbo cars are sorta touchy when it comes to modding without tuning.

Like I said, 2013 Cosmic Blue GSR 49k miles @ $26,500. Tad bit on the high end as far as price goes, but I do dig the Cosmic Blue.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Grigz
I'm 99% sure it's a high flow cat.
The car itself is extremely clean, just the no tune part sorta scares me. As I've always read to stockpile your parts, install them all at once and get a dyno tune as I know turbo cars are sorta touchy when it comes to modding without tuning.

Like I said, 2013 Cosmic Blue GSR 49k miles @ $26,500. Tad bit on the high end as far as price goes, but I do dig the Cosmic Blue.

They're not as picky as the internet says and the 4B11T is pretty robust.

But for what it's worth, I had mine on the dyno back in January and it made 349/335. Switched up my exhaust, intercooler, intake, BOV, and the initial pull a couple weeks ago made 20whp less and the car was running very rich. Left that day at 365/360

Seems as though to take advantage of the mods you'll need to have it tuned, but I wouldn't stress too much about how abused the car has been... sounds like it's a good find.

-asher
The following users liked this post:
Grigz (Apr 11, 2017)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by static_set
They're not as picky as the internet says and the 4B11T is pretty robust.

But for what it's worth, I had mine on the dyno back in January and it made 349/335. Switched up my exhaust, intercooler, intake, BOV, and the initial pull a couple weeks ago made 20whp less and the car was running very rich. Left that day at 365/360

Seems as though to take advantage of the mods you'll need to have it tuned, but I wouldn't stress too much about how abused the car has been... sounds like it's a good find.

-asher
I'm not a big fan of the Turboxs TBE, would probably switch over to AMS eventually. But it makes me feel a little better about it. Obviously I would be getting it tuned ASAP just because I would feel better about it all. The end goal right now is just 350awhp so an intercooler would probably be in the near future. I say "end goal" but lets be honest, is there any end to horsepower wants
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Turboxs TBE, would probably switch over to AMS eventually. But it makes me feel a little better about it. Obviously I would be getting it tuned ASAP just because I would feel better about it all. The end goal right now is just 350awhp so an intercooler would probably be in the near future. I say "end goal" but lets be honest, is there any end to horsepower wants
I wouldnt sweat it, its honestly not that big a deal. And to make 350 you dont need an intercooler! Grab a pump, bigger injecters and UICP!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
I wouldnt sweat it, its honestly not that big a deal. And to make 350 you dont need an intercooler! Grab a pump, bigger injecters and UICP!
But I'm a total ricer, I love the AMS stencil on the front of their intercooler
The goal initially is to get it dyno tuned and probably order some HR springs to lower it a tad and just drive the crap out of it for a while. CCW or Volk wheels will probably be on the list after too long.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The goal initially is to get it dyno tuned and probably order some HR springs to lower it a tad and just drive the crap out of it for a while. CCW or Volk wheels will probably be on the list after too long.

famous last words.

-asher
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by static_set
famous last words.

-asher
Oh I already know. I say I'm only going to do a few things to it but I know I'm lying to myself. It's probably a good thing I'm newly single; more money for car parts
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Do it then! haha. Me, I like the big intercooler with not stencil that looks as stock as possible
Old Apr 17, 2017, 06:07 AM

Welp I sold my SHO Friday for $15,500 and pulled the trigger on the Cosmic Blue X.
Have owned it for 2 days now and already have spent $800 on it lol.
Ordered:
AEM Boost gauge
AEM AFR gauge
boost controller
pillar gauge pod (doing a custom gauge setup once I find the time, this will be just to hold me over)
and about $230 in Ammo products. I'll do a full show off once she gets polished and tuned. Hopefully getting her tuned this weekend by Blevins Tuning.

Name:  1047E33C-20C6-4A86-858D-4920347999E6.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  302.0 KB

Name:  09CA067D-300A-4278-9D84-D51BA2CCD6CB.jpg
Size:  281.8 KB

Name:  78395BA6-DE51-4277-BAE6-52834265D972.jpg
Size:  274.2 KB
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice. Congrats!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats. Love my 2013 CB, the color is highly underrated.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 09:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a great looking car, in my completely, totally non-biased opinion. Congrats!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 01:09 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Couldn't have anything to do with you having Cosmic Blue?? ô.O

Quick Reply: Intake and TBE with no tune