Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

H&R lowering springs on an MR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
H&R lowering springs on an MR

Before anyone goes HAM on me about other threads and all that, let me just say that I have been reading threads dating back to 2010 about H&Rs vs Swifts and have not found my answer to the following question just yet..... I'm starting this thread b/c I was going to grab a set of H&Rs for my 2015 MR however I was told by a very, very reputable online store that you cannot run H&Rs on the MR.... However, I have seen a number of people on here and on other forums with them on theirs... Can anyone tell me if something changed over the years and that has lead to H&Rs not working on the MRs or was the rep at the shop I spoke with WAY off his info??

My MR is a DD, not tracked, not modded and still running the stock wheel/tire numbers.... I have no issues going with Swifts, I just like the drop of the H&Rs a tab bit more.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Save up for Ohlins
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I put the H&R's on the Wife's 12 MR touring just 2 months ago. Happy with them. Ride well, reduced body roll, perfect drop. Sitting on 18x10.5 +25 Konig Hypergrams with 275/35r18 Continental DW tire's.
Attached Thumbnails H&R lowering springs on an MR-photo485.jpg   H&R lowering springs on an MR-photo451.jpg  

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Apr 18, 2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I put them on the Wife's 12 MR touring just 2 months ago. Happy with them. Ride well, reduced body roll, perfect drop. Sitting on 18x10.5 +25 Konig Hypergrams with 275/35r18 Continental DW tire's.
the H&Rs or the Swifts? Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Whoops, sorry. haha, I went with the H&R's. I felt that the spring rate of the swifts would be too high.
The following users liked this post:
MotorCrush (May 10, 2017)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Whoops, sorry. haha, I went with the H&R's. I felt that the spring rate of the swifts would be too high.
See and thats why i started this thread b/c the online shop told me you cannot run H&Rs on an MR... and its one of the top two shops...... WTH!!!

Thanks again
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:20 PM
EvoM Guru

I mean H&R says "not for MR" but they fit perfect, and the ride height is perfect. The MR si only slightly more front heavy than the GSR, so not really a huge deal. It probably results in slightly more drop. But it looks awesome, def no complaints.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

I mean H&R says "not for MR" but they fit perfect, and the ride height is perfect. The MR si only slightly more front heavy than the GSR, so not really a huge deal. It probably results in slightly more drop. But it looks awesome, def no complaints.
Ahh I see okay thanks again! It looks great BTW
Old Apr 18, 2017, 01:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I prefer Swift Sport Spec-R over the H&R. Spring rates match the stock shocks valving, so it's better for your suspension
Cflo23 (Apr 19, 2017)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by isaachunyu

I prefer Swift Sport Spec-R over the H&R. Spring rates match the stock shocks valving, so it's better for your suspension

Your set up is very nice, very clean looking!!! Well done!

I ordered the Swifts yesterday, can wait to get them on the car! i will post some pictures once everything is done
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
The shop should have been clearer with you. They will fit just fine. But between the amount of drop and the spring rate change, the Bilsteins have a tendency to blow out earlier and require rebuilds more often. If your heart is truly set on H&R you can take the springs and the struts and send them into Bilstein and they will valve them for those springs. That helps with longevity and tune them correctly. When I did it, it was about $80 per strut IIRC. They also repaint, clean and put new seals in. You're basically getting a brand new strut back at that point.
The following 2 users liked this post by migs647:
EVOX84 (Apr 19, 2017), JDZNate (Apr 20, 2017)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

The swifts are stiffer than the H&R's, so I'm not sure how they "match" the shock valving better. I could see the increased drop being a bit harder on the shocks, but that's any lowering spring/OEM shock combo.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for this updated thread (2017) EVOX84, I'm basically in the same boat as you. I had Swift springs on my 15 sti and it was great. I really prefer the drop of the H&R springs on the MR tho but not sure why H&R has posted on their site "except for MR" while so many other members have had success installing them on there MR with no problems issues etc.

Please post some pics once everything is said and done with your Swifts ?

Also, are you going to get the WHITELINE FRONT ROLL CENTER ADJUSTMENT KIT (MITSUBISHI EVO 8/9/X) ?

Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cflo23
Thanks for this updated thread (2017) EVOX84, I'm basically in the same boat as you. I had Swift springs on my 15 sti and it was great. I really prefer the drop of the H&R springs on the MR tho but not sure why H&R has posted on their site "except for MR" while so many other members have had success installing them on there MR with no problems issues etc.

Please post some pics once everything is said and done with your Swifts ?

Also, are you going to get the WHITELINE FRONT ROLL CENTER ADJUSTMENT KIT (MITSUBISHI EVO 8/9/X) ?

I have the roll center kit on my X. It is definitely a good to have stuff.
MotorCrush (May 10, 2017)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 01:08 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
The swifts are stiffer than the H&R's, so I'm not sure how they "match" the shock valving better. I could see the increased drop being a bit harder on the shocks, but that's any lowering spring/OEM shock combo.
I'm completely going off of memory here (from about 5-7 years ago) so forgive me if I'm incorrect... but I believe the H&R are about a 2.2" drop and the Swift Spec-R are 1.2" drop. IIRC that drop was enough to a) require a roll center kit and b) put the bilsteins at more of a disadvantage to blow through the stroke.

Also which Swifts are we talking about here? There is Spec-R and Swift Sports. Both have different drops and different spring rates.

Quick Reply: H&R lowering springs on an MR