Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X MR SST REBUILD ADvice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation EVO X MR SST REBUILD ADvice

ok so I need updated stories on SST rebuilds bc most of the threads I see are like from 2009, so im asking who has had there SST rebuilt to either stage 1,2,3, and where, bc im going to do it soon and need advice, should I go to Jacks, Shep, SSP, kozmic, HELP!!!!!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 01:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Definitely go with Kozmic. I haven't had to do a rebuild yet, but I have ordered parts from Kozmic, and have talked to Eric a few times. He is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexmo530
ok so I need updated stories on SST rebuilds bc most of the threads I see are like from 2009, so im asking who has had there SST rebuilt to either stage 1,2,3, and where, bc im going to do it soon and need advice, should I go to Jacks, Shep, SSP, kozmic, HELP!!!!!
Trade your car in on a GSR unless you have deep pockets imo
Old Jun 15, 2017, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Trade your car in on a GSR unless you have deep pockets imo

put way to much of my heart, money, and time to just "trade it" im not going to just give up on it when it looks tuff, and any idiot can build a GSR, but not everyone can build an MR
Old Jun 15, 2017, 06:01 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I haven't had a rebuild done... but both Kozmic and Jacks... you can't go wrong with either. They both have had stellar reviews throughout the years. Both have been active in the community and strive for quality.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexmo530
put way to much of my heart, money, and time to just "trade it" im not going to just give up on it when it looks tuff, and any idiot can build a GSR, but not everyone can build an MR
$3500 to replace a faulty magnet in it. Replacement cost for a new one is around 9-12k. lol I have an MR and know the pain of repairing it, so this is coming from 'future you' telling you the road you are on is fraught with peril.

I live in the same city as Kozmic and am suggesting this to you. Does that tell you anything?

Enjoy though, YOLO, just be sure you have a lot of money saved up. Also just a heads up -

- You can't buy replacement pieces for an SST transmission. So literally no shop can call up and say 'Hey I have a shredded collar need a new one' - nope

- Shops that can work on these, and tune for them, are few and far between. Clutch packs run around around 2500 to install and the transmission fluid changes when you add power should be done around 15-20k max so that's another $600 on a pretty frequent basis.

Good luck with your build though, and hope the car lasts a long long time for you! (seriously)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sst

I know a guy in Sacramento Evo owners group on facebook, getting the 600 wtq clutch packs for his car. I have had my tranny rebuilt by SSP. It cost alot of money for all the shipping and labor. My tuner is Works in sonoma, by far the most people who recommend a competent tuner for this car is Kosmic in Houston but there are several other places. The guy I know is getting his car done by Overkill Performance in Sacramento,CA. You could call around.