Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What tuner for Stock Block FP Black

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Post What tuner for Stock Block FP Black

Hello all. My winter build is coming to an end and the car is running again. Only thing left I need to purchase are injectors - and a tune. I know there are a bunch of similar threads, and I did some research - however I am looking for something more specific so here I go.

I have a stock longblock car (30k miles on engine), with an FP Black (& all the supporting mods) that I would like some good daily power out of (on pump 94) as well as a race gas tune. It has a 3 port EBCS, and injectors will be in the 1000-1100 range. No E85.

I have narrowed it down to 5 tuners that seem to have good feedback, a couple I have met at the DSM shootout a few years ago.

- STM 3 hours away
- Whalen's Speed 5 hours away
- CBRD 8 hours away
- Ivey Tune 8 hours away
- Kaizen 9 hours away

I am willing to travel as far as that for a good tune. The car will be trailered to/from, however I daily drive the car. I plan to contact whoever with a full mods list, but I am more so wondering who my best choice would be for a high power (hoping for about 420-450whp on pump and <380ft-lbs, and 450+ on rage gas) tune on the stock block with the supported FP black and a 3 port?

Thank you.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Ivey or CBRD imo
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

What makes you say that? Not doubting, just want to know the reasoning so I can learn more!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by six40
What makes you say that? Not doubting, just want to know the reasoning so I can learn more!
Ivey has a stellar reputation and I've not seen anything negative about CRBD as well. Kaizen I see good and bad when you scratch at it, so I think of your list Ivey is the top. I haven't gone to either shop, but I've been around the boards for a while and see things being frequently endorsed or mentioned, and that's what I based my suggestion on.

Good luck with the build, post up the dyno when you get it done!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't scratched at Kaizen, but I have seen nothing but good regarding Ivey for sure. Any feedback regarding the others I mentioned?

I've been meaning to post the build up, but photobucket is just junk and does nothing but crash on me so I've given up. And now that it's almost over I'm just lazy to backtrack 7 months of work lol but I will be posting the results when the time comes. I am excited.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:13 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
E-tune with BainsTuned. No need to travel
Old Apr 20, 2017, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I have no experience with an e-tune. Another thing worth mentioning is the car is currently on a Cobb V2 (previous owner) which I would like divorced & removed, although I'm sure just about any tuner can take care of that.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:13 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
E-tune =
you data log, email to tuner. They email you a new ROM, you flash, repeat. It's fun being involved, but it requires a flat, safe road.
There is a bit of a learning curve on your part, especially for those of us not having someone to show us.
EcuFlash is free, EvoScan is only $20 and a used Tacktrix cable will set you back $100.
the AP makes the process easier, but it's still limited.
then you can use any tuner you like.
also, if the tuner is willing, there is a program you can install on your laptop that allows them access to control your laptop remotely. That makes things a LOT easier lol.

just another option for ya. I'm a DIY guy, so I get a kick out of it lol
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Edited: nvm, i see you are very far from ER. I think they are all good choice imo.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ivey tune from personal experience
Old Apr 25, 2017, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I have emailed Sean @ Ivey, he said he's going to look over the stuff I sent him and get back to me.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Update: Ended up trailering this pig to Paw Paw, Michigan and had the car tuned by John Whalen. I am extremely happy with the outcome, ended up scrapping the race gas idea as he got plenty of power on straight pump 94.

Pulls were between 470-476whp and 342-350ft-lbs (I have to consult sheets for exact amounts) at ~25psi climbing to ~28psi throughout the rev range on the FP Black & stock longblock. The car is a riot, there's absolutely no hickups, no knock whatsoever, AFR's are rock solid. The car pulls consistently whether it's a cool night or a hot muggy day.

John accommodated me on short notice and arranged his schedule to fit me in. Extremely welcoming, and answered all of my stupid questions. Shop is clean and organized, and everybody else there working was nice as well. I will definitely be returning to John for my next tune, despite the ****ty Michigan I94 that took out the poor little uhaul trailer tire lol