Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Latest Fuel Pump Relay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Latest Fuel Pump Relay

Apparently there is a new fuel pump relay. It is Orange as specified below.
When the Green one came out, road race engineering took a look at it and determined that the less expensive Blue one (8627A024) appeared to be better.

http://roadraceengineering.com/blog/...evo-xralliart/

8627A030 Black (I see this referred to as an upgrade in places. Unsure)
8627A011 Green (not recommended by road/race)
8627A024 Blue (I am running this one currently)
8627A049 Orange (is this the latest and best and is an upgrade to blue?)

side note:
-----------------------------------------------------------
As always the following is still true:
Replace Black MFI relay p/n MR301978
with MR400709 Grey
-----------------------------------------------------------

So my question is whether the Orange (8627A049) is considered the best fuel relay. I usually just swap out the relay yearly, but I don't want to buy more blue ones if orange is now the best.

Anyone know?

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 29, 2017, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

This article states that the latest fuel pump relay is:

MR122409

https://boostedforums.net/showthread...el-Pump-Relay!

There is a mention of the orange one, and that it is kind of an unknown. SSP states that the orange relay was never meant for the EVO X fuel system (and doesn't recommend it). AMS is selling the Orange relay as a fuel pump relay (and therefore recommends it).

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 29, 2017, 07:41 PM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
This article states that the latest fuel pump relay is:

MR122409

https://boostedforums.net/showthread...el-Pump-Relay!

There is a mention of the orange one, and that it is kind of an unknown. SSP states that the orange relay was never meant for the EVO X fuel system (and doesn't recommend it). AMS is selling the Orange relay as a fuel pump relay (and therefore recommends it).

~Jaraxle
I got the MAP kit. They told me it's the latest part numbers for the upgraded relays.
https://www.maperformance.com/produc...tsubishi-evo-x
Old Jul 29, 2017, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yes apparently they are selling the orange relay 8627A049.

I am still uncertain about using that relay for our application as a fuel pump relay.
SSP does not agree with it. I have not seen a MHI TSB that states that part number replaces or is an upgrade to 8627A049 (Blue).

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 30, 2017, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2014 came with 8627A030 Black for the fuel pump relay. I was told this one is fine to run, but according to this thread it might not be (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-up-help.html). I am replacing mine every 15K just to be safe along with the plugs. Still not sure if the 8627A049 Orange is the best to get now??
Old Jul 30, 2017, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tuner (Kozmic Motorsports) when doing general maintenance (and AMS CMC replace on leaking OEM one), added in the orange fuel pump relay just a couple days ago.

(Why is the orange supposedly better though- no idea... It was the only thing done not discussed/requested directly at all but I trust them and specifically asked to defer to their judgement on additional items as they did the build and this was so cheap they didn't check back with me)
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by woofmaster
My tuner (Kozmic Motorsports) when doing general maintenance (and AMS CMC replace on leaking OEM one), added in the orange fuel pump relay just a couple days ago.

(Why is the orange supposedly better though- no idea... It was the only thing done not discussed/requested directly at all but I trust them and specifically asked to defer to their judgement on additional items as they did the build and this was so cheap they didn't check back with me)
The orange is better because it is a bigger relay AND sealed. If you search my older posts you'll find my theorizing on this.

So, even though my 2015 comes with sealed (small) relays I switched over to all Oranges. Just in case. I had a weird turning but no start condition once after the car sat for a week in freezing temps. I haven't had any issues starting since. I realize people are likely more concerned about the switchover to higher fuel rate under heavy throttle.
The following users liked this post:
gto82002 (Jul 2, 2021)