Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

In the market for a Subaru STI or Mitsubishi EVO.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market for a Subaru STI or Mitsubishi EVO.

Before you tell me to read other forms about this topic please read this form about before you Pre-judge it.

I Previously owned a 2013 f30 335i with JB4, intake, down pipe about 350-360 whp 400 wtq. Loved the car. Reason i sold it is because it was a luxury car it was fast but it certainly didn't feel fast. It got old so i sold it.

Side Note i have only driven an sti with cobb stage 2 and a stock version never driven the Evo.

I have done research on both these cars, So i wont be asking what handles better, which one is faster, which looks better, which sounds better, which has better tune capability, etc... i already know all of this.

Before i give you my questions, i would prefer the people to answer my question that have driven both of these cars.

For me its all about the butt dyno not the actual dyno itself if you know what im talking about. GTI with apr stage 2 have great dyno numbers, infiniti , the golf r, bmw 335i, just lots of cars with great dyno numbers but when you sit and drive it the butt dyno does not feel the same.

When i drove my buddies sti (stock) it felt fast i was like going 40 and it felt like i went up to 100 after going through 2 gears. i love how the whole car jerks every time you shift a gear. it was just a blast.

And i know what you thinking, Just get a mustang blah blah blah. I have my reasons why i cant have a 2 door coupe thats rwd.

I hear alot of good things about the evo and most of the time it is better than the sti.
So really my question is if both were stock which would feel more static and have that nice jerk feel everytime you switch gears?

Would also like to hear any other cars that have the same feel, any other car recommendations, very serious in buying a car pretty soon. Like The ford Focus RS for example, never driven it has anyone have?

Sorry it took so long to ask my question, just wanted to make sure everyone understood my situation.

Would really appreciate anyone reply's or feedback, thank you very much.

Last edited by eddieinotayev; Aug 24, 2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Your question makes sense and it's one I had to answer myself coming from a powerful luxury sedan.

There's a mountain of difference between a STI and an Evo X - since you've never driven an Evo before, you're really doing yourself a disservice coming here for comparison in that the answer you're looking for is hard to explain. Best way I can explain it is that an Evo X is just about as close to a "raw" car as you're going to get within the confines of a modern vehicle and all that entails.

Sure it has modern luxuries - but the driver connection to the car is on point. Dunno if you've an experience with S-Chassis cars, but I'd put it on par with those. It feels and drives like a properly modified S13 with a lot more comfort. Very nimble, slight notch on the gearbox, and excellent feedback in the brake and steering wheel. STIs are nice too - but they lack the machine/driver connection this car has by a long shot.

$.02
-ash
Old Aug 24, 2017, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
If you're going to add power, just get an EVO GSR and enjoy long life. The STi tends to pop its top around 100k miles that's when people get rid of them and come to this side of things. There is a reason so many convert and never go back!

Come to the darkside, you know you want to...

I've owned both, 08 STi, 14 EVO -
Old Aug 24, 2017, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
In my opinion:

The STi, is a lot more tame and as mentioned, disconnected (stock or bolt-ons), compared to the Evo. The X is a slightly calmer and more relaxed version of the 8/9, but it is still an aggressive car and it still requires attention.

The STi I would say is just shy of the halfway point between an Evo X and the 335i in respect to the feel you're looking for. The one thing I did like about the STi, is the 6 speed manual, shifter feel, and the torque it has down low between the bigger displacement and turbo. Runs out of steam up top quick, but for a daily it's not too bad of a choice.

It really depends what you want and how aggressive you want your daily to be. My friend with a RHD Evo 1 was looking for a daily, I let him drive my X... loved it, but wanted something more forgiving so he got himself a 2013 STi (which he's got all sorts of stupid issues with )
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You need to drive an Evo, you'll fall in love. When I bough mine in 2013, I was looking at Boss 302 mustangs, STI's, Golf R's, etc. As soon as I drove my Evo, I wrote the check for it.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:51 PM

Thank you very much

Really appreciate your guys time and feedback. In terms of feel stock, which will feel faster?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by eddieinotayev
Really appreciate your guys time and feedback. In terms of feel stock, which will feel faster?
If by faster you mean "more fun to drive" then it's an easy choice for an evo. I believe the two platforms are comparable in terms of actual speed when they're stock.

-ash
Old Aug 24, 2017, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by eddieinotayev
The Subaru due to the punch off the line. The punch in your wallet as well when it blows up. They are very different cars, but I came from a lot of big power mustangs and other RWD and even the built up Subaru and in the end the EVO just wins over all of them. Once you push it through the corner you'll be in love.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are just asking which car jerks more when you change gears I think it is probably the STI. I own a stage 2 evo x and I've ridden in my friends stock 2017 sti, and his feels "jerkier" when going through gears while mine feels much smoother. So even though I easily pull away in a drag race his still has that more abrupt/jerky power. Personally I prefer the smooth stable power in my evo; especially on the track. I haven't driven a stock evo, but hopefully that helps.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Evo 8 or 9. Never look back.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo's bring more joy from what I have experienced. STI will lose its 'wow' factor quick, even with mod after mod
Old Aug 24, 2017, 04:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
This should answer all your questions....

Old Aug 25, 2017, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

I drove my buddy's 335i E92 with JB4, map 5 I believe. The 335i on stock suspension feels like it's a giant boat, the straight line pull from 5000rpm-redline is something i won't forget though. If you go with a low displacement engine (2.0 or 2.5) you will notice that the majority of the grunt is around 3500~4000 RPM then after that it's either dead (stock) or linear (tuned). I'd say you should test drive an evo to see if you like the transition, because the N54 is hell of an engine for DD/straight lines. One thing is for sure you're gonna love how light and nimble the evo feels compared to other cars.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2011 STi Limited and a 2010 EVO MR touring. Hands down I prefer the EVO. I don't know of anything I prefer about the STi including appearance. Evo can handle more power without internal engine mods. Evo handles better, Evo looks better. Sti has a bigger trunk, if that matters.

However, I also have a 2016 Golf R and except for looks, it trumps the other 2 overall. Only took a tune and DP to run 11's. Very practical as a daily driver too, much more than the other 2. Doesn't handle quite as well as MR, but for 90% of what I use it for it's pretty damn good.

Todd
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:04 AM

I'm in the same boat looking to what should I get. currently I have a 2015 subaru wrx it's great daily driver but for power is meh I thought of getting the STI but were I live everyone has one I'm leaning towards the 2014 Evo GSR something different thought of getting the 2015 Evo but no recaros idk how difficult would it be to change just the drivers seat

Quick Reply: In the market for a Subaru STI or Mitsubishi EVO.