Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Has anyone had this bad of luck with a lower milage evo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i cracked a piston at 22,000 kilometres, car was well maintained, coservative tune on full bolt ons, 2015 final edition. starting the rebuild process now.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from my experience, buying used car takes a a bit more leg work. it's even more work when we are talking about cars like evo's. What i do generally is meet up with the owner and just chat for a while about the car/life in general. This gives me a feel of the type of owner and how he has maintained his car(s). On top of that, you really have to be extra careful in looking over the car, look for patterns, service history, known problem areas, etc. It's always good and safer to bring an extra set of eyes when looking at the car you want to buy. As weird as it sounds, observing the owner's description of explanation gives me a lot of information of the car's history. To answer your question, i have seen and have been interested in lower miles evo's, but later find out that they are not in as good of a shape as higher mileage ones. So it's really hard to say low mileage = good condition because i've seen some well maintained higher miles cars in great shapes.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Kxts
Wow these posts are really scaring me to be honest. I've been recently saving to buy a 14 Evo X within this year but all I've been hearing is problems after problems. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, I can handle my oil changes and simple bolt ons, but why does it sound like you need to be a mechanic to own one of these vehicles? Grinding notchyness when shifting into gears or just being locked out completely, engines flashing codes, etc. I didn't want to be another average Subaru owner but the new FA20 in the WRXs is really sounding nice right about now. Can anyone here reassure me or am I pretty much right?
It's an illusory correlation. You are only seeing posts when people have a problem. How many people create a thread titled "My Evo was reliable today, nothing notable to report..."

Almost all car models/brands have this if you read message boards. Car X has problem Y that makes it a ticking time bomb. Most owners don't really have the problem.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i was pretty "meh" a/b the first post until the shortblock. amazing they are covering it. i would update your first post with that. and i would advise you do a top to bottom of all the mods that have been done on the car so you can figure out what you need to do, as well as what happened. surprising after a trip to ivey that it failed.
Yea the first couple problems like clutch, and acd pump are common but the motor just randomly going out like that I was pretty shocked. I'm pretty sure the motor was most likely damaged or weaken from the car not being tuned properly from previous owner. Once the motor is back together and running and broken in, ill be revisiting Ivey for a retune explaining the situation. Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mikec19
well i cracked a piston at 22,000 kilometres, car was well maintained, coservative tune on full bolt ons, 2015 final edition. starting the rebuild process now.
Damn man that sucks surprised to see that happen with such low miles with mild bolts on a tune.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by t3gr4
from my experience, buying used car takes a a bit more leg work. it's even more work when we are talking about cars like evo's. What i do generally is meet up with the owner and just chat for a while about the car/life in general. This gives me a feel of the type of owner and how he has maintained his car(s). On top of that, you really have to be extra careful in looking over the car, look for patterns, service history, known problem areas, etc. It's always good and safer to bring an extra set of eyes when looking at the car you want to buy. As weird as it sounds, observing the owner's description of explanation gives me a lot of information of the car's history. To answer your question, i have seen and have been interested in lower miles evo's, but later find out that they are not in as good of a shape as higher mileage ones. So it's really hard to say low mileage = good condition because i've seen some well maintained higher miles cars in great shapes.
Yea if you are going to buy an used evo I highly suggest buying from the owner. At least he can give some kind information about the car. Unfortunately I bought mine at a dealership which really can careless about the car or you.