Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Transfer Case Whine?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Whine?

I know from looking at other threads that you guys get upset for starting a new thread about something that already has a thread. I completely understand but I feel that I need one on one help. I have looked at other threads and videos of TC whine. If you'd like to point me to another thread, I'm cool with that.

My question is obviously that I think I have some TC whine, but my X only has 6000 miles on it. I bought it used with about 3000 on it so I'm assuming the drive line fluids haven't been changed yet. From the videos I've seen I personally don't hear anything out of the ordinary. I don't hear the noise when everything is cold, but once it's all warm I hear what I'm going to call a fluttering noise, for lack of better words, when I get off the gas and coast. I hear it most in first and second, since there's less road noise, and at 3000 rpm.

I know a video would really help but I don't have one atm. I'll probably post one later. I plan on doing tranny and TC fluid change this up coming weekend. I'm at college during the week so I don't drive then.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should also note that the car is my DD and has only been street driven with fun pulls here and there.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Most ring & pinion gears will have a little bit of noise to them - especially during light duty such as coasting.

When it starts to constantly make the noise under any condition, then it's time to be concerned.
-ash
Old Oct 23, 2017, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With such low mileage, I would consider taking it back to the dealership for them to check it. I'm also starting to get concerned with my clutch/Tcase whine with my X and its at 23k miles. I'm the second owner of mine so I don't have any idea of who owned the car before hand and how it was maintained but I would probably go with upgrading or changing out the tcase and tranny fluids. I hear mixed reviews on the Redline cocktail for the transmission on the X but was widely accepted when I had an 8. For Diffs its always been Diaqueen.