Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Re Mapping ECU's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 03:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re Mapping ECU's

Hey guys, I have a question... just curious. If you took a stock Evo X right out of the box at 291 BHP and the only thing you did was have the ECU re mapped, exactly how much increase would you get in horsepower with out doing any thing else mechanical to the car?

Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Since you have a stock 2015 MR, I'd suggest just dropping a cosworth non oiled filter in it and then re-assessing if you want more power. I had a 2014 MR, I went the power route, and honestly if I had a time machine, I would have just put that simple $50 filter in it and left it alone. That small filter change makes the top end much cleaner without any stumbles, and just pulls smoother overall. You may like it just like that, I did.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Since you have a stock 2015 MR, I'd suggest just dropping a cosworth non oiled filter in it and then re-assessing if you want more power. I had a 2014 MR, I went the power route, and honestly if I had a time machine, I would have just put that simple $50 filter in it and left it alone. That small filter change makes the top end much cleaner without any stumbles, and just pulls smoother overall. You may like it just like that, I did.
Well, funny you say that. I was looking at Ralliart stuff on the Japanparts.com site and they have a Ralliart Sports Air Filter, although it's about $90.00. Not sure how it compares to a Cosworth Air Filter?
I googled ECU remap and an outfit in the UK have it on their site.. a Stage 1 Tune (vernacular for re mapping the engine chip) will go from 291 BHP to 330 BHP. Considering it's electronic and nothing else get's done mechanically that is pretty sweet.
In the UK the cars were available in an FQ300 (291 BHP) FQ330 (329 BHP) FQ360 (359 BHP). Those were available to most mere mortals. Then came the FQ400 and 440 at roughly $70K each, and those were highly tuned with Janspeed, Alcon Brakes etc etc and warranty's for 12 months from Mitsubishi UK.

But I do take your point and will learn from your wisdom Napalm, so thank you. I will order an air filter, and have installed on the next oil change which is less than 1,000 miles away. Question is it worth getting the Ralliart from Japan or a Cosworth locally?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
just get the cosworth it's on rallysportdirect and doesn't require oil or a tune. Enjoy! Also just put it in yourself it's just two clips and drop it in. No need to pay to have it done. Then go out and punch it in first redline shift second and let me know if you notice how much smoother it is.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 08:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
There are so many threads with 100% stock Evo 10's with a tune only.

I've posted quite a few myself. Search.

For the lazy, depending on fuel and with a proper tune, expect approx. 30-50whp/wtq gains on an otherwise 100% stock Evo 10. Adding only a 3port or boost pill and retune, add about 20 more on top of the above.

Since you have an MR, make sure you get a tuner that knows how to tune for the SST properly, that also makes a large difference in drivability with the SST.

I have basemaps for the GSR and MR that I was thinking of releasing publicly for free like I do with the Ralliarts: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...t-basemap.html

but it's a ton of work to do all the MY's and I haven't found the time yet.

Last edited by razorlab; Feb 15, 2018 at 08:21 AM.