Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone using Sylvania / Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs for DRL? Do they work?

Old Jan 26, 2017, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Anyone using Sylvania / Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs for DRL? Do they work?

I have searched and the polarity is a concern when installing LED to replace incandescent bulbs in the DRL sockets. If I understand correctly, 2013+ Lancers and Lancer Evos have reverse polarity 1156 sockets for the DRL, and thus need reverse polarity or reversible (either) polarity LEDs if LEDs are desired.

It is unclear what polarity the Sylvania LED / Sylvania Zevo LED 1156 bulbs have. Based on the reviews that no one seemed to have them installed but not working, I speculate that these might have reversible (either) polarity. I also could not find any information on their 1156 bulbs' polarity on Sylvania's official site (osram-americas).

Do you have Sylvania / Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs? Do they plug and play or do they need you to reverse the DRL wires first to work? Also, what year is your Evo?

Thanks in advance and you guys have always been a wonderful community for me. I sometimes feel I could still love my Evo even if she drives like a Camry (knock on wood) simply for the club I have.

Explanation of polarity:

Source: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ocket-wtf.html
Old Jan 26, 2017, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I got these from SuperBright Led's and they work perfectly.

2 WLED-A6: Amber 4.49
2 1156-WW45-T: 1156 Warm White 14.88

I went ahead and replaced the parking lights while I was in there. These look like normal lights, they don't look odd or too bright or too white if that makes sense.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
The DRL sockets in some MY are reverse polarity. You can pull the pins out of the connector and swap them or you can use an LED that is listed as "polarity free", "no polarity", or "dual polarity"

There are a few threads about this already.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 05:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
I have searched and the polarity is a concern when installing LED to replace incandescent bulbs in the DRL sockets. If I understand correctly, 2013+ Lancers and Lancer Evos have reverse polarity 1156 sockets for the DRL, and thus need reverse polarity or reversible (either) polarity LEDs if LEDs are desired.

It is unclear what polarity the Sylvania LED / Sylvania Zevo LED 1156 bulbs have. Based on the reviews that no one seemed to have them installed but not working, I speculate that these might have reversible (either) polarity. I also could not find any information on their 1156 bulbs' polarity on Sylvania's official site (osram-americas).

Do you have Sylvania / Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs? Do they plug and play or do they need you to reverse the DRL wires first to work? Also, what year is your Evo?

Thanks in advance and you guys have always been a wonderful community for me. I sometimes feel I could still love my Evo even if she drives like a Camry (knock on wood) simply for the club I have.

Explanation of polarity:
I have 2013 and some LED does not work like you mentioned, because of the reverse polarity. Basically you will need LED that would work in either configuration.

I got this from amazon, so no idea on how long they last, but the light is nice and bright: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Jan 27, 2017, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info guys!!! So now I have a clear understanding of options now:
1) Get incandescent 1156 bulbs for DRL
2) Get Sylvania LED 1156 bulbs, and pull the connector to reverse socket polarity for DRL
3) Get reversible (either) LED 1156 bulbs for DRL

Cheers!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

The ones I listed are 100% tested and still running in my car 6 months later no issue.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
The ones I listed are 100% tested and still running in my car 6 months later no issue.
Perfect! I have much appreciation for your input!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 05:16 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I got these from SuperBright Led's and they work perfectly.

2 WLED-A6: Amber 4.49
2 1156-WW45-T: 1156 Warm White 14.88

I went ahead and replaced the parking lights while I was in there. These look like normal lights, they don't look odd or too bright or too white if that makes sense.
Would you post installed pics with the lights on, please?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Would you post installed pics with the lights on, please?
Sure can do in the morning.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 07:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Ran into the same thing this weekend with a set of Sylvanias on my '14 SSS package car. Shame on me for not looking first. It's supposed to be warmer today, so perhaps I'll depin the connector and swap them. If I can get it done I'll shoot a couple pics.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph_mills
Ran into the same thing this weekend with a set of Sylvanias on my '14 SSS package car. Shame on me for not looking first. It's supposed to be warmer today, so perhaps I'll depin the connector and swap them. If I can get it done I'll shoot a couple pics.
I had to do the repin on my 2015. took about 30 mins all together. Here is the write up i used. my Walmart LED still work 2 years later!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ues-led-s.html
The following users liked this post:
joseph_mills (Feb 6, 2017)
Old Feb 11, 2018, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Napalm_Enema.

It's been a year since your response. How are the LEDs doing in yours if you still have them installed in yours.

Thx!

Old Feb 15, 2018, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

For the information, I am delighted to report that after almost one year of harsh use, my Sylvania Zevo LEDs has been running strong as the DRLs on the Evo. No problems whatsoever. I love Sylvania.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thx for the feedback. Do yours direct plug-in? Did you get a chance to check the housing throughout the year?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 416_EVO
Hello Napalm_Enema.

It's been a year since your response. How are the LEDs doing in yours if you still have them installed in yours.

Thx!
I sold the car, but they've been running strong since I let it go. So no issues thus far The guy that bought it and I communicate, I'd know if he lost one.