Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking to get either a Evo X or new STI

Old Sep 2, 2018, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to get either a Evo X or new STI

Whats up guys! So I’m looking for some real world daily driven advice here. I purchased a brand new evo 9 in 2006 and drove it every day for 3 years with 300whp on 91oct pro tune and the usual stage 2 mods and it ran beautifully! Then I decided to go cams and a E85 tune from GST since the E85 army seem to be running the world at that time. Boy was my car just the most fun to drive. Long story short I tore an injector O ring and stopped driving it since it was running funny and I wasn’t sure if that was the only issue at the time. The plan was to wait for my tuner to see what was going on once I could tow it to him. Well my brother decided to drive my car without me knowing and it punched a rod threw the block.... At this point I was not in the financial position to fix it so I sold it. 11 years later I’m still thinking about my love for evo’s And I’m due for a newer car.
So here’s where I need help! I absolutely LOVE the new Subaru STI but I’ve always now that the EJ25 motor is just ****. That’s just the bottom line. Now I can’t go get an older car again because I need to daily whatever I end up getting. So I was thinking Evo X or brand new STI. I want to be able drive it with very little down time but also I want to end up with a 35R sized turbo at some point with real world drivability I’m mind. I don’t need some world record HP numbers or anything like that. I just want to enjoy whatever car I get without it living in the shop. But I can’t go backwards in performance since I’m coming from a low 11sec Evo 9. Lol So my options are brand new STi and keep it stock for the first year or 2010-2015 Evo X and slowly build it while using it for a daily.
Please don’t hit me with “I daily my 700hp Evo and it’s perfect “ I want to slowly work towards a reliable/manageable 500whp and really be able to drive it everyday.

Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Just wait, the redesigned STi is out next year, and while I love the EVO, it's not being produced anymore so if you're looking long term it may not be the best option.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 06:42 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I’m just scared that even though the Subaru tuners are more plentiful nowadays it’s still a bad motor to mod for a daily. Am I right?????
Old Sep 4, 2018, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Panduh_skwaaats
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I’m just scared that even though the Subaru tuners are more plentiful nowadays it’s still a bad motor to mod for a daily. Am I right?????
The current one - yes. The new one? Nobody knows. If you are dead set on big power without risk, hate to suggest because nothing AWD - but a new Mustang has around 460hp stock and has an amazing engine presently. Has fuel injetion AND direct injection so tuning wise the sky is the limit - turbo / supercharger - no fuel system modifications needed.

If you're dead set on an AWD monster - see what the next engine / STi is bringing - or look at a used EVO - or even consider the Focus RS.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:25 PM

Ok so I’m pretty set on another awd.

One of of the reasons why (outside of how much I love both the sti and evo) is I have friends with plenty of different cars and the other day I was hanging out with a couple friends and they raced and I got rides in their cars. One had a brand new 392 challenger scat pack and the other had a 2017 STI with exhaust,intake and a Cobb access port. My overall impression was that the sti felt like a new evo. Great launch with fun boost to drive around town with nice interior and exterior. The challenger on the other hand cost $52k and ended up pulling on the STI anytime they passed 80mph. Now that’s nice that it’s fast and all but when I got a ride it was not fun at all. All the computer aids and automatic transmission made it feel like I wasn’t going fast at all. Beautiful interior with way less outside noise but boring. I was surprisingly bored of the challenger within minutes. Not that I can afford or want to spend $52k on a car. But the $34k STI with $1800 in mods was much more enjoyable to me.

Thanks a a ton for the advice and ideas though. I appreciate it!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't put a Challenger in the same basket as a Mustang tbh. Not that I'm a huge mustang fan, I find their visibility and size a bit more than my tastes, the Challenger is a giant fat car with atrocious handling due to the bulk. You can get some pretty nifty options on a Mustang to make it handle a lot better (magne-ride) and the car is just overall much lighter and more nimble. If you're dead set on AWD then I'd kick the tires on a Focus RS that's a good current car with 'EVO esque' characteristics, however it's not too late to find a good EVO if you are willing to travel. (I've had an STi and an EVO, and the EVO was a head and shoulders above when it came to reliable power and the AWD system is second to none) I drove a brand new STi and it didn't feel anywhere near as raw, but I guess that's why people modify them...but then you get into **** poor reliability for that old *** 2.5 liter engine. I had an 08 STi and it blew up like most people that came over to the EVO scene.... I can't say the new STi won't be a ton better, it logically SHOULD be, but if you are impatient and want something now now now, I would definitely try and find a used EVO, GSR preferably to start your AWD journey. Just understand that these cars DRINK FUEL when you start modifying them. You will routinely see sub 15mpg if you shoot for big numbers, even with just basic boltons pushing around 350hp (plenty imo), I was touching 17mpg on a regular basis, sometimes less. When you hit 500hp? LOL get a funnel you can go sub 10mpg easily... So just be aware.

I can't speak to the Focus RS, but it's worth a look due to the higher stock power, and it's a newer platform that appears to take modifications pretty well from what I have seen. But it's a Focus so....yeah. (I find them a bit ugly interior wise)

Good luck with your search, if you find some EVO's you're considering, post them up here for opinions. I'd look for something 2012 or newer, but not 2015 due to lacking Recaros. Look for something unmolested from a non snow climate, and be willing to travel and drive back!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 01:17 PM

Great advice man! Yeah I remember the MPG on my evo 9. It’s worth it though! Yeah I’m looking at Evo X’s that are not ****ed with right now. The new STI looks awesome but eventually when I want to throw a big turbo at it I just feel like it will be a new nightmare to deal with. The new focus RS looks really nice but I’m still unsure of how it takes modding.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Panduh_skwaaats
Great advice man! Yeah I remember the MPG on my evo 9. It’s worth it though! Yeah I’m looking at Evo X’s that are not ****ed with right now. The new STI looks awesome but eventually when I want to throw a big turbo at it I just feel like it will be a new nightmare to deal with. The new focus RS looks really nice but I’m still unsure of how it takes modding.
Lot of good ones out there, just plan to pay a bit more for less abuse -

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true
Old Sep 4, 2018, 02:43 PM

That’s the plan as of now. Just searching for stock GSR’s in good condition.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly the only thing that scares me about the Subaru’s is the Engine issues. Both are fun to drive...

that being said personally the evo had me inlove on the first test drive where as the STI had a “this is a cool sports car” vibe.

But at the end end of the day everyone has a different personal opinion! Try test driving both a few times if you can and see what suits you?

Old Sep 7, 2018, 01:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I say go for the GSR
I was deciding between a STI with 54k or EVO with 97k.
Test drove both and ended up with the EVO.
In my opinion EVOs can take a lot better beating then an STI.
This car with 97k needs nothing no leaks or anything of that sort.
With the STI there are too many horror stories.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet thread, I am exactly in the same boat. My lease ends in 7 months and the cars I am interested have a 4 month lead time, if I want to order new, at least as of a couple of weeks ago with the dealers I have talked to, so I am about 3-4 months from having to decide what to do. Looked at the RS, Type R, STI, and EVO. I wish the new STI would be out by then, but I doubt it, it looks to be a 2020 release more than likely. Type R is last at this moment unless the 2019 refresh does something with the exterior, it looks so childish in real life, can't stand it. The RS, I like it but not love it, looks wise. STI, love how it looks and I doubt I will mod except for bolt-ons, so not too worried about the engine, and EVO, it has my heart, but man, finding a low milage one I can trust will be hard. I am 37, since the Evo and WRX came out, have always craved the segment, hopefully, I can make it.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:37 AM

evo

If you're looking for reliable power down the road go evo.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 03:29 AM
Evolving Member

I'll chime in. I have a 2015 stock STI. It has 55,000 miles. I've taken it to Utah and back from California. About 50 plus trips to Los Angeles and back. No issues. Still on the factory engine. I came from a tuned 5150 Racing 2010 Evo X MR. I traded the MR for Civic SI for a cheap daily. Got bored of the daily and got a stock 2011 GSR. Hated the loud cabin noise and got my civic si back. Now I have the STI. Dont make the mistake I did. My Subaru STI is okay for basic transportation but sucks for power. Also, apparently the Subaru community gets made when I bash them for having mud flaps in California. STI is cheaper to maintain and better on gas but it isnt worth it long run. I find myself hating to drive the car everyday because I want another Evo. I purposely don't tell me the kind of car I drive when asked.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jdjones24
I'll chime in. I have a 2015 stock STI. It has 55,000 miles. I've taken it to Utah and back from California. About 50 plus trips to Los Angeles and back. No issues. Still on the factory engine. I came from a tuned 5150 Racing 2010 Evo X MR. I traded the MR for Civic SI for a cheap daily. Got bored of the daily and got a stock 2011 GSR. Hated the loud cabin noise and got my civic si back. Now I have the STI. Dont make the mistake I did. My Subaru STI is okay for basic transportation but sucks for power. Also, apparently the Subaru community gets made when I bash them for having mud flaps in California. STI is cheaper to maintain and better on gas but it isnt worth it long run. I find myself hating to drive the car everyday because I want another Evo. I purposely don't tell me the kind of car I drive when asked.
Great now, wait till 100k when your head gasket goes for no reason, warps your shortblock and blows the **** up. Ask me how I know. Current Subaru is trash-tastic.

Search this Thread