Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New to me - EVOX owner here

Old Jan 7, 2019, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me - EVOX owner here

I'm not a new member, in fact been here since 2012 (I think) and own a 2006 IX (Electric Blue). For the holidays, I was given the opportunity to purchase a used but low mileage 2015 Final Edition and fully took advantage of the deal. Upon making the purchase official, I then decided that my '06 IX will officially become a dedicated track car. I'm excited about refreshing the motor, transmission, clutch and even replacing "tired/worn" bushings.

Anyways, here's my initial thoughts on the EVOX (new to me). It's definitely more user friendly and would definitely be more comfortable in long drives as compared to the IX however there's a night and day difference.

The IX is a fire-breathing monster as compared to this X-FE. I know it's a little unfair to compare however I can't imagine that a flashed ECU and basic bolt-on's make that much of a difference. Don't get me wrong, the X is quick in it's own right but compared to the IX, it's not close. Maybe I just need to get used to the X and proceed with the "break-in" period as I purchased it a few days before Christmas (last month) with under 10K miles.

Here's my quick analogy as a comparison between the 2 cars: The IX is straight-forward like a shot of very good whiskey while the X (at this point anyhow) is like a shot of the same whiskey however "watered-down" with a cube in the shot glass.

The X will now be closer to a "daily driver" now so in the near future will make subtle changes to it for improvements.

Just a quick summary: My IX was conservatively/tastefully modified with Ohlins R&T coilovers, Cusco Front/Rear sway bars and strut towers, Stoptech rotors and Hawk Pads, K&N Cone Filter (attached to MAF), Greddy Full TB Exhaust, and AMS Stage 2 or 3 flash ecu tune (I forget as this was done at AMS a few years back when I was still living in Chicago). Stock motor, intercooler, ignition, transmission, and clutch. As you can see, conservative...

But it's hard to believe that the above mentioned things done to the IX seem to make it much more fun and a "drivers" car versus the X. Could it be the X isn't really all that it's up to be OR was the IX really that good and ahead of its time? Maybe it's just me getting older now and that I'm just so used to the IX. I know that I'll probably take some heat with this post and will accept and understand the consequences. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the rant and Happy Monday!

Last edited by evo2k6; Jan 7, 2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That extra weight can really make a huge difference. I think about that when I have a few friends in my car and can't believe the difference in seat of the pants performance.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's a pretty good description of the differences of the IX and X. Let me elaborate a little bit further.

The VII VIII and IX were significantly lighter in weight than the X. So in just regular 1st 2nd and 3rd gear shifts, it certainly feels like the IX's have sling-shot like acceleration. Now the X with it's weight gain and new engine. It feels slow. Heavy. More sound deadening. Etc. Better daily driver. More suited for a long road trip cross country than the tin can rattle box that is the IX's and VIII's.

Where in the Northeast are you located?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
To me, it seems like they focused more on handling and being a better daily with the X. Full bolt ons and tune really wakes the car up. I removed the spare and added a Tomei catback over the weekend to help with reducing weight which helped, but I can't help feeling like something is missing when driving it. Adding a Works Short Shifter is one of the best mods (IMO) you can possibly do to the car. Makes driving much more enjoyable. The IX seems to be fun right out the box which is what I gathered when I test drove one, but with the X, you have to spend a little $ to bring the animal out it.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by donny_utah
That's a pretty good description of the differences of the IX and X. Let me elaborate a little bit further.

The VII VIII and IX were significantly lighter in weight than the X. So in just regular 1st 2nd and 3rd gear shifts, it certainly feels like the IX's have sling-shot like acceleration. Now the X with it's weight gain and new engine. It feels slow. Heavy. More sound deadening. Etc. Better daily driver. More suited for a long road trip cross country than the tin can rattle box that is the IX's and VIII's.

Thanks man - Appreciate the feedback! And totally agree. It’s funny, I’ve gotten so used to the tin can rattle. I’ve driven the IX coast to coast. Chicago, IL to San Jose, CA and San Jose to NYC. I’m now in S. Jersey (close to Philly).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by jayevo23
To me, it seems like they focused more on handling and being a better daily with the X. Full bolt ons and tune really wakes the car up. I removed the spare and added a Tomei catback over the weekend to help with reducing weight which helped, but I can't help feeling like something is missing when driving it. Adding a Works Short Shifter is one of the best mods (IMO) you can possibly do to the car. Makes driving much more enjoyable. The IX seems to be fun right out the box which is what I gathered when I test drove one, but with the X, you have to spend a little $ to bring the animal out it.

Great suggestions! It’s so new to me that just even last night after picking up some groceries I just noticed there wasn’t a keyhole for the trunk and actually took a sec (or two) to think before pressing the button on the key fob. Oh yeah, no key either. Be patient boys, I’m just so used to the IX.

For now, I’m gonna follow the proper break in for 15K/30K service before any mods. Was thinking about the Cobb upgrade packages. Don’t get me wrong the X is great and I really like it. It’s much more refined (even with the bad Lancer seats). It just has a lot of features. This morning it even flashed “Careful for icy roads” and thought to myself the IX never alerted me of anything except with the occasional amber low fuel warning light.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by evo2k6

Thanks man - Appreciate the feedback! And totally agree. It’s funny, I’ve gotten so used to the tin can rattle. I’ve driven the IX coast to coast. Chicago, IL to San Jose, CA and San Jose to NYC. I’m now in S. Jersey (close to Philly).
Cool. I'm across the bridge from ya. In Philly. There ain't too many Evos here. Only a handful. And I've seen a couple with NJ plates. I'm In a wicked white X.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by donny_utah

Cool! I have to run some errands next week in that area. I'll reach out prior
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:25 AM

Great thread that was started years ago!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lo...merge-250.html
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nicely said! Having both as well, I can very much relate lol. The CT9A is definitely a more "raw" driver/tuner car, and the CZ4A is undoubtedly more comfortable and "nicer" for daily duties (as mentioned, bigger/heavier, more sound deadening, and heated seats, if applicable). I also believe that the X has a nicer sound system from the factory. With that said, my X is still peppy and handles well, but my VIII is overall quicker.

X's trunk space will always suck though in comparison haha.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, well, i plan to buy the X for a daily so the complaints look perfect for my situation.

The only thing I am worried about is the X recaros are 90% cloth vs leather/alcantara.

How do they feel?

Is it better to get a 2015 and just swap out the seats? Seem like there are more available (because of the seats).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ_evoIXgsr
Ok, well, i plan to buy the X for a daily so the complaints look perfect for my situation.

The only thing I am worried about is the X recaros are 90% cloth vs leather/alcantara.

How do they feel?

Is it better to get a 2015 and just swap out the seats? Seem like there are more available (because of the seats).
The Recaro seats are perfectly fine to daily drive in. I commute in philly traffic everyday 40 min (20mi) to and from work without issue. I would say they're pretty comfortable.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
^^^ this. I DD my X as well and have no complaints about the recaro seats. Albeit, I’m 6’2 180 lbs. thin frame. I’ve had bigger bodied people complain about the seats so I guess that should noted.

Search this Thread