Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Stage 1~2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stage 1~2

Hey guys
I am new to the evo and new to the mods. Just got an used 2015 evo x FE and looking to make it faster.
Now, I am looking into the AMS power packages but I've heard that AMS exhausts are really loud. I live in a community complex so I don't wanna **** my neighbors off.
Any advice on such exhaust that aren't too loud but makes powers. Also, I watched some videos said that better not have full atmosphere blowoff valves like HKS ones but I really obsess with that sound. What blowoff valves are good on evos?

Last edited by Markelov; Mar 4, 2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 05:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Good to see you on the boards exploring options. Im a 9 owner, but some of the basic principals apply. Exhausts get louder when you eliminate the CAT. Running no CAT or a high flow CAT really increases the dB's. Also, many exhausts will have a resonator @ mid pipe so those will be your best at reducing the drone & the loudness combined w/the rear muffler

Turbo cars are naturally quieter than NA cars due to turbo. The turbo is like a sound muffler some ways.

Regarding the intake B/O valves, stick w/the stock system that recirculates. Unless the EvO motor is modded (i.e.Speed density intake), VTA blow-offs can make the engine stumble between shifts. W/your stock system, stay w/a re-circ valve set-up. On our EvO9's the stock valve is the best & most of us still use

Old Mar 4, 2019, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Markelov
Hey guys
I am new to the evo and new to the mods. Just got an used 2015 evo x FE and looking to make it faster.
Now, I am looking into the AMS power packages but I've heard that AMS exhausts are really loud. I live in a community complex so I don't wanna **** my neighbors off.
Any advice on suck exhaust that aren't too loud but makes powers. Also, I watched some videos said that better not have full atmosphere blowoff valves like HKS ones but I really obsess with that sound. What blowoff valves are good on evos?

There are quite a few nice exhaust systems that will keep sound down but still make good power and sound nice. For the BOV I normally set them up with a good intake and Tial recirculating valve, this combo still gives you some nice turbo spool noises as well as a good BOV sound when shifting/lifting off the throttle. **the recirculated set up also means you keep the stock ECU/MAF happy**
Actually hit up Alex at Brewed (sales@brewedmotorsports.com), he just told me there is a big sale that i know includes Tial and AMS parts, shoot i'm sure he has exhaust options on sale as well. **I just got a couple Tial parts for my current project from him other wise i wouldn't know about said sale haha
Old Mar 4, 2019, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Slow down a bit friend, and learn the new platform you're on. Stage 1 / Stage 2 - that's Subaru talk - while they are both AWD turbo cars, the similarities stop there.

For a Subaru - hands down the best mod - downpipe

On an EVO - The downpipe really isn't worth much unless you get a bigger turbo. Bolt on basics are test pipe, drop in filter, EBCS, tune. Past that, upper intercooler pipe, lower intercooler pipe / choose your own adventure.

BOV's - from what I've seen - just add problems to a car - if you want some whooshing noises get a Cold Air intake but plan to tune for it. Any change of air flow / rate = work towards getting a tune for it.

In my opinion, I'd get used to the car first, then see what it's lacking before tossing power at it. Build the car for YOURSELF not to impress others. Good luck and welcome to the community!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 07:10 PM

Thanks man,
That Ak exhaust sound is sexy as hell but it's kinda expensive.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
BOV

If you like the HKS SSQV4, you can opt for the version with recirculation kit (HKS calls it "suction return set"). For Evo X (CZ4A), the part number is 71008-AM015V. This includes 71008-AM015 (the BOV itself) and 71002-AM001 (recirc kit).

Installing a different BOV requires protune. You can buy the HKS and store it in the trunk, and install it along with the performance package.

Performance packages

The AMS STX400 (intercooler, hard pipes, downpipe, etc) is equivalent of stage 1 for our cars. The STX500 (also turbo upgrade) is equivalent of stage 2. In my opinion, they have better reliability than the average aftermarket packages. Many enthusiasts love them for their better reliability, but hate them for being more expensive than the average packages.

The STX500 package uses a Garrett GTX3071R turbo. This is a reliable turbo, but not amazing. There are also Mitsubishi TF06-18K twin-scroll and Borg-Warner 7163 twin-scroll, which might be better favoured by enthusiasts. The TF06-18K is a stock-frame turbo (no aftermarket manifold needed) that is also reliable and might perform better. The BW 7163 has a different frame (aftermarket manifold needed) and is statistically the least reliable, but might offer the best performance (i.e. least turbo lag).

If I were in your shoes, I might discuss with AMS if they are cool with installing and protuning with a different turbo. Unless, of course, you do like the Garrett turbo.

Exhaust

I use HKS. It's a stainless steel exhaust. It is impressively sturdy. Tone is great. Volume is low. AMS should be cool with you choosing a different exhaust.

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Slow down a bit friend, and learn the new platform you're on. Stage 1 / Stage 2 - that's Subaru talk - while they are both AWD turbo cars, the similarities stop there.

For a Subaru - hands down the best mod - downpipe

On an EVO - The downpipe really isn't worth much unless you get a bigger turbo. Bolt on basics are test pipe, drop in filter, EBCS, tune. Past that, upper intercooler pipe, lower intercooler pipe / choose your own adventure.

BOV's - from what I've seen - just add problems to a car - if you want some whooshing noises get a Cold Air intake but plan to tune for it. Any change of air flow / rate = work towards getting a tune for it.

In my opinion, I'd get used to the car first, then see what it's lacking before tossing power at it. Build the car for YOURSELF not to impress others. Good luck and welcome to the community!
I also welcome our new Evo owner Markelov!!

My opinion is that he is not the type of candidates who blows up the engine, runs out of cash, and parts out the car. Being in the local Evo clubs for years, I find the owners humble enough to keep the drivetrain stock, or humble enough to pay the premium for performance packages from big brand-name shops have always had a running Evo and stayed in the club. It's the type that thinks he knows a lot, buys cheap parts, and uses random tuners who don't specialize in Evos that breaks things and quits the club.

Last edited by Lightsaber; Mar 4, 2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added quote
Old Mar 4, 2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lightsaber
BOV

If you like the HKS SSQV4, you can opt for the version with recirculation kit (HKS calls it "suction return set"). For Evo X (CZ4A), the part number is 71008-AM015V. This includes 71008-AM015 (the BOV itself) and 71002-AM001 (recirc kit).

Installing a different BOV requires protune. You can buy the HKS and store it in the trunk, and install it along with the performance package.

Performance packages

The AMS STX400 (intercooler, hard pipes, downpipe, etc) is equivalent of stage 1 for our cars. The STX500 (also turbo upgrade) is equivalent of stage 2. In my opinion, they have better reliability than the average aftermarket packages. Many enthusiasts love them for their better reliability, but hate them for being more expensive than the average packages.

The STX500 package uses a Garrett GTX3071R turbo. This is a reliable turbo, but not amazing. There are also Mitsubishi TF06-18K twin-scroll and Borg-Warner 7163 twin-scroll, which might be better favoured by enthusiasts. The TF06-18K is a stock-frame turbo (no aftermarket manifold needed) that is also reliable and might perform better. The BW 7163 has a different frame (aftermarket manifold needed) and is statistically the least reliable, but might offer the best performance (i.e. least turbo lag).

If I were in your shoes, I might discuss with AMS if they are cool with installing and protuning with a different turbo. Unless, of course, you do like the Garrett turbo.

Exhaust

I use HKS. It's a stainless steel exhaust. It is impressively sturdy. Tone is great. Volume is low. AMS should be cool with you choosing a different exhaust.

I also welcome our new Evo owner Markelov!!

My opinion is that he is not the type of candidates who blows up the engine, runs out of cash, and parts out the car. Being in the local Evo clubs for years, I find the owners humble enough to keep the drivetrain stock, or humble enough to pay the premium for performance packages from big brand-name shops have always had a running Evo and stayed in the club. It's the type that thinks he knows a lot, buys cheap parts, and uses random tuners who don't specialize in Evos that breaks things and quits the club.
This is really helpful and neat.
For the turbo part, I don't want to have a large turbo that spools really late.
I just want some modifications that are not looks like wrecking the car and pushing the very limit of the car but make the car faster. Since I am not owning the car for long, (I am an international student), by the time I graduate and nobody assign me H1-B I am going to leave my car here. Anyway, the previous owner had intake installed. I think it is K&N.
If I am going to keep the stock turbo, what kind of parts should I get?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
If I am going to keep the stock turbo, what kind of parts should I get?
AMS STX400 package.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey guys
Any advice on such exhaust that aren't too loud but makes powers. Also, I watched some videos said that better not have full atmosphere blowoff valves like HKS ones but I really obsess with that sound. What blowoff valves are good on evos?
Sup Markelov.

First, welcome to the forum. Congrats on the FE. What color is it? How do you like it?

Don't know too much about the Mass area. Try googling are there any famous Evo tuners in Ma. If there aren't any, be willing to travel. You want a world class Evo tuner in the US. Some examples are AMS, English Racing, CBRD Speed Factory, 5150 Racing, Road Race Engineering, etc.

Quiet catback would be the Magnaflow exhaust for the Evo X.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Like most have said, don't get a BOV. Just buy an intake. It completely changes the sound and you will hear the turbo spool more, which is probably what you want.

There are plenty of really good parts from different companies, like ETS, AMS, etc..

If you get an ETS quiet exhaust and an ETS intake, you will love it. And like other posters have said, find a really good Evo tuner somewhat close to you. If you get an EBS like the Grimmspeed and a tune, along with exhaust and an intake, you will be very happy. Even if it is a few hours away, going to a good tuner will do wonders.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
We have a Quiet option available. I would suggest the Quiet with a resonator if you want something quiet but makes power.

ETS Evo X Exhaust

I have run a lot of the GoFastBits BOVs on my cars and I really like the respons TMS. You can control how much vents to atmosphere and how much recirculates. This allows you to get the best balance between noise and drive ability.

https://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow...es/respons-tms

If you have any questions on parts or upgrade paths feel free to send us an email to sales@extremeturbosystems.com or give us a call @ 360-896-3000
- Robert
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I have found the best setup for someone wanting a much quicker but quiet EvoX is the ETS quiet exhaust and select the mid pipe resonator option. Get their test pipe as well, either with the high flow cat or with a resonator. ETS intake, 3.5" intercooler, and the upper intercooler pipe. There's really no need to replace the lower intercooler pipe with the stock turbo. A grimmspeed electronic boost controller, and a good tune from a reputable tuner. This will usually make 330-360whp on pump gas on a dynojet depending on the car and the fuel.

I would not replace the stock BOV. No other BOV will drive quite as nice as stock, and you won't be running enough boost to make the stocker leak.
The following users liked this post:
ETS Michael (Mar 6, 2019)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:57 PM

Hey guys

Welcome!

FE # CA0022 here

honestly maybe for now get yourself an Intake! You’ll hear a little more whoosh while you get used to the car, and learn a little more before you dive into heavier mods!

The stock BPV is probably your best option, even in some bigger turbo applications people still use them. I would just get a AMS/ETS/STM/COBB intake that’ll give you a nice little noticeable sneeze when you shift. Lol

I currently have the Cobb Downpipe / HFC set up with an Invidia N1 and I wouldn’t say it’s “loud”. Maybe sometbing you’d enjoy as well.

If you have any questions you can message me here, or much easier over Instagram @xerxesbillimoria

welcome again!!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 09:23 AM

What would be the next modification after these? I got 350whp on the mods you recommended, it is amazing
Old Sep 9, 2019, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Honestly hold there unless you want to start sacrificing reliability. You're looking at a bigger turbo now - more gas when you punch it as well lol. Personally I'd advise leaving where it is but if your journey is more power there are a lot of ways to get there - but you're at the bigger turbo point imo for any bigger significant gains.

Quick Reply: Stage 1~2